Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SimpleFit + Weighted Vest -- Thoughts? page

Patrick is offline Senior Member

SimpleFit + Weighted Vest -- Thoughts?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    So I'm definitely leaning out due to diet (mostly) and the nature of SimpleFit's body resistance focus. However, I almost find I'm leaning out a bit much. It could simply be that I need to eat more (mostly up' ing protein I guess?), but I'm not sure. Or I might be a hardgainer. Again, I no clue -- I haven't ever been in a position to find out!

Regardless, I'm wondering what people's thoughts are on adding a weighted vest (~20 lb to start) and dropping down a SimpleFit level or two to compensate, but otherwise continuing as per normal.

Oddly, I almost feel like doing so would turn it into SimpleGains or LeanFit (SimpleFit/Leangains) kind of mix, with the SimpleFit body resistance circuit/routine but with a Leangains-style focus on heavier weight. Anyhoo... thoughts?
    August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

I have a new site up and will soon be blogging at The Wayward Mind. (My journal is semi-retired at this point)

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    i don't think there would be any problem with it. it would certainly make you stronger...not necessarily bigger. you're right that size will come more with food.
    20 lbs sounds like a good place to start, but you will probably want more weight not too far down the road. opt for a vest that lets you adjust the weight.

Pandadude is offline Senior Member
    I must say I think it is a bit rediculous that you are giving leangains the credit of using "heavier weights" lol.. It sounds like you want to build muscle mass, in which case I don't think adding 20 pounds is going to have a tremendous difference. The nature of the workout (interval training, high reps, short rests) probably isn't going to stimulate any muscle gains on its own after a period of a couple of months. I would recommend a barbell routine 1-3 times a week if your focus has switched from leaning out to building muscle, coupled with a more aggressive calorie intake (veggies/meat to satiety usually isn't enough).

bokbadok is offline Senior Member
    And I would add to pandadude's recommendation that you try going heavier weights/lower reps. As in less than 8 reps per set. To exhaustion.
    42 yo female; 5'8"
    Oct 2009: 205 lbs
    Dec 2010: 167 lbs
    Current weight: 158 lbs (first time under 160 in 17 years!!!)
    Goal weight: 145 lbs

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    a vest to get stronger, eat more to get bigger.

Rep scheme does matter, but food intake matters most. I’ve read higher reps for hypertrophy (make muscle grow) less reps for straight up strength. I combine both (heavy low reps, higher unweighted reps) and eat around maintenance, my body’s going how I want it, so I’m not messing with it too much.

I’m doing chins with 60lbs now for about 5-6 reps and loving every workout, it feels awesome. My short term (few months) goal is 100lbs for reps, same with dips. Dips are lagging though at 40lbs for 5ish reps right now, mostly because I alternate dips with shoulder work (mostly HSPU) but do chins or pull ups at every workout (2x a week, with random work thrown during the week but not weighted)

So throw that vest on and be a man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111l ozl

@ iniquity: are you doing weighted HSPU? if so, how are you adding the weight. i would think that a vest would slide up and smack you in the face.

@pandadude and bokbadok...you don't need a heavy weight program to add size. check out cheapo, who's big and ripped doing only simplefit, no additional weight. heavy weight is good for strength though.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primalrob View Post
    @ iniquity: are you doing weighted HSPU? if so, how are you adding the weight. i would think that a vest would slide up and smack you in the face.

@pandadude and bokbadok...you don't need a heavy weight program to add size. check out cheapo, who's big and ripped doing only simplefit, no additional weight. heavy weight is good for strength though.
    No my HSPU are bodyweight only and I’m still working on getting full ROM so I’m currently doing them with one leg up and one leg on an elevated surface. Using parallettes I can dip all the way down and come up but without that leg assistance (or lack of leg weight, whatever) I can’t do a proper positive rep.

When I can get 10 HSPU full ROM I’ll figure out a way to add resistance. I think ankle weights could work. I’ve seen people do them with vests though, without the smacking head syndrome.

Patrick is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the advice, all! Good to know about strength vs size.

As it stands, I'm still looking to drop fat, so I guess I'll just keep on keeping on for now (unadjusted SimpleFit). However, I'll remember to use heavy weights, >6 rep, etc., if/when I get to the point I want to add muscle for size. That might be later this summer.
    August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

I have a new site up and will soon be blogging at The Wayward Mind. (My journal is semi-retired at this point)

DanC is offline Senior Member
    Help an old guy out, what is HSPU?

Quote Originally Posted by DanC View Post
    Help an old guy out, what is HSPU?
    hand stand push ups

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast