Thread: am i eating TOO much fruit??? page

Dylan1965 is offline Junior Member

am i eating TOO much fruit???

Shop Now
    here's the thing, i know fruit is recommended and i love them, and i know all the sugar amounts which helped me minimized eating fruits that are very high in sugar like pineapple and watermelon and mango. but

-i love eating a ruby red grapefruit a day
    -i also usually eat a couple clementines a day
    - in my 'green monster' smoothie, i add a BUNCH of blueberries and strawberries and a banana (some days i will also eat another banana on top of that)

now, am i getting too much sugar (albeit natural sugar), but carbs nevertheless, from fruits???

i am a pretty active runner, who is pretty skinny in general but looking to lose excess fat from my stomach area.
    honestly, i am not getting dissuaded, but i have awlays had a fast metabolism that allowed me to eat whatever i wanted without much exercise and hardly gain wait, but now that i am active 5ish days a week and doing 80-20 paleo (it's been 2 months now) i am kind of not getting the results i imagined. any hints on what i can be doing wrong?

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Nobody here can answer that question as well as you can by cutting down on your fruit and seeing what happens.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    caveman is right. you may have to experiment a little bit with cutting down fruit and seeing if the fat goes away at all.

are you a runner only? do you do any strength training?

say_rahhh is offline Senior Member
    Read about the deleterious effects of fructose then decide for yourself.
    Because if you didn't know, of that is life made: only of moments; Don't lose the now.
    ~Borges

TheFastCat is offline Senior Member
    you are eating too much fruit.
    ad astra per aspera

lizch is offline Senior Member
    A good place to start might be to stop drinking your fruit. Chances are you're eating a lot more fruit in that smoothie than you would if you ate them whole, one by one.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

skline2 is offline Senior Member
    lizch - i found that to be true for me. I could drink a smoothy with a banana, a mango, and a pint of berries with some orange juice. But I could never just eat all that.

Mamaof4 is offline Junior Member

This bums me out!

I am very new here and new to eating this way (a month in). I have had a history of vegetarianism off and on. I have been a huge fan of green smoothies for a long time. I drink about a quart a day for one of my meals. I can get mass amounts of greens in my diet this way. This this the only fruit I get in my diet. I almost never eat fruit otherwise to keep down on the sugars/carbs. My green smoothies consist of water, a couple of huge handfuls of greens, tsp of spirulina, berries, sometimes frozen peaches or mango, banana, and sometimes greek yogurt. If this ends up making more than a quart I share it with my kids so that I won't drink it all. Is this too much? I have lost 11lbs in this last month, but I have 30 more to go, so I want to do this thing right!

Another reason I do the smoothiesis to help keep me regular, I have suffered from chronic constipation most of my life. Though I have found that grains and dairy have been my biggest culprit. I am just hoping the larger quantities of meat will not work against me. I am still learning about this way of eating. When I did the South Beach diet after my 3rd child, I felt sick all the time and was horribly stopped up. I am still trying to learn the differences in the two. I actually found the primal diet by accident. I was on a candida diet to help get a yeast problem under control. I felt so much better that I started searching out recipes to help keep me eating this way and stumbled onto the paleo and primal diets.

Griff is offline Senior Member
    If you have to ask, you probably already know the answer.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    That is a lot of fruit, much more than most of us eat, but you'll only learn the answer by experimenting.
    I eat usually 0 - 2 servings a day, so, some berries with yogurt and a banana later on would be about my max for the day. If I were in weight loss mode I'd not want to go over that.