Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fish Oil Help page

NeoBerserker is offline Senior Member

Fish Oil Help

Primal Fuel
    My gf works at cvs and we get their brand fish oil for cheap. Its 1000mg of fish oil. My concern comes with the EPA and DHA since those amounts aren't listed. Where the amounts should be there is 3 stars that refer to on the bottle as "daily value not established." It does say total omega 3 fatty acids 300 mg, which confuses me even more. It bothers me not knowing. Does anyone have any idea how to find out?

Some other notes on this fish oil;
    Other ingredients; gelatin, glycerin, Contains <2% mixed tocopherols

contains fish (anchovy, mackerel, sardine) ingredients.

Purified to eliminate mercury
    Laboratory tested

No yeast, wheat, gluten, milk or milk derivatives, lactose, sugar, preservatives, artificial flavor, salt.

Please help to shed some light on this mystery fish oil.

O_O
    O_O is offline Senior Member
    Is this the one CVS Fish Oil Concentrate 1000 Mg Softgels

Per Softgel: Total Fat 1 g (Saturated Fat 0.25 g); Protein Less Than 1 g; Cholesterol Less Than 5 mg; Natural Fish Oil Concentrate (EPA [Eicosapentaenoic Acid 180 mg]; DHA [Docosahexaenoic Acid 120 mg]); 1000 mg; Fish Oil Concentrate; Gelatin; Glycerin; d-Alpha Tocopheryl

That is pretty low in EPA and DHA.

O_O

brahnamin is offline Senior Member
    I took the same one for half a year. Then I started educating myself and yeah - the info on the label was just iffy enough that I changed brands. For instance, it annoyed me that a 1000mg tablet only had 300mg of omega 3 in it's belly.

Currently I use Nordic Naturals, and for reasons that would take me three posts or more to get into it is probably the highest quality fish oil product on the market. It also tends to be one of the more expensive ones.

But one 1000mg tablet (with the fish oil purified and in naturally occurring triglyceride form - read as you'll actually absorb most of it instead of just sh!t it out) has 165mg of EPA and 110mg DHA with 70mg of *other* omega 3 acids. It also has 57mg omega 9 (like in olive oil) which is neutral when it comes to balancing your 6/3 ratio. That's still like just under 400mg accounted for. I assume the rest is just whatever else makes up fish oil.

I actually looked at one fish oil today (Garden of Life) that used safflower seed oil (a fine source of omega 6) as a stabilizer in their pills - but that didn't list an amount for omega 6 on their label (because they don't have to - just like your CVS bottle doesn't try to list any of the omegas - it's not part of the labeling law).

For me it's worth it to pay extra for quality, because many of the conventional/store-brand fish oils go through no process of accountability when it comes to freshness/rancidity and they often use warmer water fish that are deficient in EPA and DHA rather than deep water fish that are rich in both substances.

brahnamin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by O_O View Post

Per Softgel: Total Fat 1 g (Saturated Fat 0.25 g); Protein Less Than 1 g; Cholesterol Less Than 5 mg; Natural Fish Oil Concentrate (EPA [Eicosapentaenoic Acid 180 mg]; DHA [Docosahexaenoic Acid 120 mg]); 1000 mg; Fish Oil Concentrate; Gelatin; Glycerin; d-Alpha Tocopheryl

Just curious where you got the stats on those. I actually did use CVS brand for my last batch of fish oil tablets and like the OP posted they really didn't have the EPA or DHA listed on the bottle. I had the big green bottle (probably the same brand you show in your link, but the humongo *value* size).

O_O
    I use Ascenta Nutrasea. Of the 1500 mg each tsp has 750 mg EPA, 500 mg DHA and 250 mg other omega 3's. Flavoured with natural lemon, no fishy taste or fishy burps. Comes in gel pills too. NutraSea exceeds the CRN* pharmaceutical quality & purity standards and is certified by PURE CHECK third-party verification.

Ingredients
    fish oil (anchovies, sardines, mackerel), all natural flavouring, vitamin E and green tea extract.

All Ascenta products are in a natural triglyceride form(TG).
    Last edited by O_O; 02-28-2011 at 05:49 PM.

O_O
    I googled it.

NeoBerserker is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by O_O View Post

No it is not the concentrate, its the "natural fish oil" of 1000mg. I figure they don't put the real numbers on the bottle because they are ashamed of whats really in it.

O_O
    My guess is it is probably pretty low.

Acteon is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Some of the posts I've read here on the subject recommended a DHA higher than EPA value however I've noticed that most Omega 3 products have a higher EPA than DHA.

I only found one bottle that had DHA higher than EPA (400 mg versus 300 mg) and this bottle also had Cod liver oil.

Any idea why the DHA needs to be higher than the EPA ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast