Thread: Women with PCOS page

Momto3 is offline Senior Member

Women with PCOS

Shop Now
    I was wondering if you could check out this thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread24653.html

I'd be curious to know if you are on metformin, have gone off metformin since going primal, what you think the benefits of starting up metformin again (just weaned son and wondering if I need to)

Anyway, just some stuff I'm thinking about and would love some feedback.

Thanks!
    Favorite Mark Quote: "I train to play."

June 2010: 168.6 -size 16
    Current: 146.8 - size 10/12
    Goal:135 - size 8

My Journal

fieldofroses1 is offline Member
    Hey, I have PCOS and took metformin for 6 weeks. I have been eating low carb for over 2 years, lost 90 lbs and pretty much have eaten this way consistently. The PCOS symptoms, thought they are not as bad as they used to, have subsided considerably. But I wanted to see if being on metformin would help further, and honestly it didn't. It made my cravings for sweets and fruits sky rocket. so I stopped takingit a while ago and have stayed on eating lifestyle. You should check with your doctor to see if your eating plan and metformin would work for you. wish you the best.

LessofMimi is offline Senior Member
    I was on Metformin & Chromium (and insulin) last year for Diabetes, doing LC then LC Primal. I did very well until I went off the Metformin & Chromium. My cycles started getting worse month after month, leading to worse and worse cheating events.

I was diagnosed with PCOS based on symptoms, not tests, in 2005, but never paid much mind since the treatment is virtually the same as for the Diabetes. LC Primal is enough for my Type 2 to be reversed, but obviously not enough for the PCOS. (I find out for sure on Friday, from blood tests & ultrasound). I've recently gone back on Chromium to see if that's enough to curb the insulin surges I've been having twice a month, during ovulation & menstruation. I love LC Primal, will do it for life, but obviously need a little more help thanks to those lovely hormones.

I will have to do some looking into the Leptin stuff. I know I'm insulin resistant. Haven't looked much beyond that.
    Melissa Fritcher - 330/252/150
    http://lessofmimi.wordpress.com
    Trample the weak, hurdle the dead.

That's interesting, Mimi. I think the leptin research is fairly new since leptin was only discovered in 1994. I haven't had any blood work for pcos done since we were first trying to conceive in 2000. I'm wondering if it's time again. It is interesting to me that metformin seems to help non-obese women also. "I know metformin really helped my acne. Please keep us updated on your results.

My Journal

primalcurves is offline Junior Member
    I was on Glumetza for almost a year before starting Primal. Initially, I lost weight but I was craving sweets BIG time. I also was sweating profusely and having hot flashes which made me think I was menopausal. I was tested and it came out negative for pre-menopause. I asked my endo about the correlation between taking Glumetza and the sweating/hot flashes. She told me there was no way the drug would cause those symptoms. Anyway, against her advice I went off of it. The sugar cravings diminished and no more sweating or hot flashes!
    I've only been following Primal since Mid-March and the first weeks off sugar and grains was hard but now I have very little craving for sugar. I head for some berries if I do! I haven't lost a great deal but it is slowly coming off. I'm very happy with this way of living!

Quote Originally Posted by LessofMimi View Post
    I was on Metformin & Chromium (and insulin) last year for Diabetes, doing LC then LC Primal. I did very well until I went off the Metformin & Chromium. My cycles started getting worse month after month, leading to worse and worse cheating events.

I was diagnosed with PCOS based on symptoms, not tests, in 2005, but never paid much mind since the treatment is virtually the same as for the Diabetes. LC Primal is enough for my Type 2 to be reversed, but obviously not enough for the PCOS. (I find out for sure on Friday, from blood tests & ultrasound). I've recently gone back on Chromium to see if that's enough to curb the insulin surges I've been having twice a month, during ovulation & menstruation. I love LC Primal, will do it for life, but obviously need a little more help thanks to those lovely hormones.

I will have to do some looking into the Leptin stuff. I know I'm insulin resistant. Haven't looked much beyond that.
    Hi Melissa, I went off metformin for a cycle and was instead trying NAC since I read in a PCOS newsletter that for some it worked the same as metformin on cycles....well, not for me. My acne returned, my weight went up, my cycle didn't come. Finally on day 40 I started taking metformin again....wouldn't you know it, my period started within a week. oh well. looks like I still need metformin too.

My Journal

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    Hi. A bit OT here, but just making sure you ladies have seen this. Here is a woman who has completely reversed her PCOS (confirmed by doctor). She explains how she did it.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread41253.html
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

onalark is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Momto3 View Post
    I'd be curious to know if you are on metformin, have gone off metformin since going primal, what you think the benefits of starting up metformin again (just weaned son and wondering if I need to)
    I was on metformin (for PCOS) for about three months pre-primal. I gave it its chance, it did nothing for me, and (after discussing it with my doctor) I took myself off it. This was about three or four years ago.

I've been primaleo since February. I was still pre-diabetic then. I am not now. My PCOS diagnosis was deduced rather than confirmed with an ultrasound; the pre-diabetic diagnosis was confirmed with a fasting blood sugar test. The doctor concluded the PCOS diagnosis because I was pre-diabetic, overweight, and hypothyroid, as well as exhibited other symptoms (hypoglycemia, odd hair growth, irregular periods).

I am willing to bet my PCOS has been "fixed", but since I never had an ultrasound to confirm it to begin with, it's all just anecdotal/speculation. If it helps any: my periods are completely regular now, relatively painless, and my blood sugar and cholesterol have all gone way out of the danger zones. I am not yet at my ideal weight; still working on it. But as long as I remain primal, I expect all of these blood markers to continue to improve.

Grizz is offline Banned
    PCOS IS CAUSED BY SEVERE IODINE DEFICIENCY

Please see these videos by Dr. John Douillard:
    Iodine Deficiency Linked to Cancer Part 1 - YouTube
    Iodine Deficiencies Linked to Cancer Part 2 - YouTube

You need to add seaweed to your diet 3 days a week, or else take Iodine Supplements.
    Google Iodine Deficiency for MUCH more.

Grizz

Gravyboat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
    PCOS IS CAUSED BY SEVERE IODINE DEFICIENCY
    *brain explodes* OMG WHY DIDN'T I KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THIS??? Holy crap!! Thank you for posting this!

_-J o u r n a l_--------- ---- ---- --- --- -- -- -