Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hanging Leg Raise Tutorial page

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member

Hanging Leg Raise Tutorial

Primal Fuel
    Hey Groks and Grokettes -

I just posted a new hanging leg raise tutorial as per the request of a few forum members (thanks for the idea, guys!).

As always, your comments are appreciated - feel free to post them right on my blog.

We're Working Out!
    Al
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    great post al. can't wait to find a tree branch or something to hang from to try those strait legged raises.

by some stroke of miracle, i was able to do two dragon flags this past weekend. it almost hurts to breathe i'm so sore. too much too soon i guess.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Ah, one of my favorites! Great work Al, the rotating variation reminds me of windshield wipers a lot (similar move, only you don't let your feet go below your waist you just keep them side to side... hi obliques!!)
    I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Quote Originally Posted by primalrob View Post
    great post al. can't wait to find a tree branch or something to hang from to try those strait legged raises.

by some stroke of miracle, i was able to do two dragon flags this past weekend. it almost hurts to breathe i'm so sore. too much too soon i guess.
    I need to do dragonflags more often, I haven't gotten good at them at all. I was working towards a full front lever when I realized how silly that is if I can't do a couple of solid dragonflags and dragonflag holds.. and is there a cooler name for an exercise? I think not...

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    yeah, i force my husband to stnd there while i do them. he gets a work out too, as i use his legs as my support so that i'm not moving --kwim? anyway, it's fun for me.

i'm working on human flag thingy. and i was doing straight legg raises.

my one arm chins are SAD though. SAD. like, my left arm is NOT working, and my right arm is working ok. my left shoulder has a bit of an issue. it's got all kinds of funny-ness in the rotator cuff (if my awesome massage therapist is right, and since i have several healers here and they are all zero-ing in on the scar tissue in my shoulder and it's connection to my rotator cuff. . .well, anyway. we have a new physio joining us soon, and he does a lot of postural work -- he's also identified some elements to it too. it's cool working here.

but my one arms are SAD. so very, very sad. uber sad. i am feeling discouraged about it.

so, working on flags instead.

btw, now my kid goes "oh snap!" and "hot damn!" all the time. LOL

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primalrob View Post

Thanks and congrats on the dragon flags! They'll come easier next time - keep it up!

Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    Ah, one of my favorites! Great work Al, the rotating variation reminds me of windshield wipers a lot (similar move, only you don't let your feet go below your waist you just keep them side to side... hi obliques!!)
    Thank you and yeah, it's more or less the same thing as a windshield wiper. There are a million variations on the same themes.

Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    I need to do dragonflags more often, I haven't gotten good at them at all. I was working towards a full front lever when I realized how silly that is if I can't do a couple of solid dragonflags and dragonflag holds.. and is there a cooler name for an exercise? I think not...
    Definitely a cool name. And you're right to work the dragon flag before the front lever. I'd think the continuum looks like this: dragon flag --> back lever --> human flag --> front lever --> planche.

Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    yeah, i force my husband to stnd there while i do them. he gets a work out too, as i use his legs as my support so that i'm not moving --kwim? anyway, it's fun for me.

i'm working on human flag thingy. and i was doing straight legg raises.

my one arm chins are SAD though. SAD. like, my left arm is NOT working, and my right arm is working ok. my left shoulder has a bit of an issue. it's got all kinds of funny-ness in the rotator cuff (if my awesome massage therapist is right, and since i have several healers here and they are all zero-ing in on the scar tissue in my shoulder and it's connection to my rotator cuff. . .well, anyway. we have a new physio joining us soon, and he does a lot of postural work -- he's also identified some elements to it too. it's cool working here.

but my one arms are SAD. so very, very sad. uber sad. i am feeling discouraged about it.

so, working on flags instead.
    Don't feel bad about not being able to do a one arm chin. Practice two arm chins for a while until they get easy, then try again. It's good to have other stuff like hanging leg raises to play with in the meantime too.

Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    btw, now my kid goes "oh snap!" and "hot damn!" all the time. LOL
    That's hilarious!
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

ciep is online now Senior Member
    I never thought to do the circular version (or the wipers version ini suggested).. nice variations, I'll try them tomorrow!

I have never tried a human flag... not even like a knee tucked in version which is probably the only thing I'd be able to get right now.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    true, true. still doing two arms, and doing a row (hanging?) and various others.

moo
    moo is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    love it! I do this at the park with my kids so now can try some more variations.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast