Thread: looking for a legless sprint workout page

primalrob is offline Senior Member

looking for a legless sprint workout

anyone have an idea for a sprint workout that doesn't involve using the legs too much?

i had knee surgery two weeks ago, and i am able to do most things except pedal fast, run, jump, or squat/crouch. obviously, actual sprinting is out of the question (only until the snow melts), so i'm looking for a metabolic equivalent. yes, i should probably be taking it easy, but i miss breathing hard.

i don't have pool access, or a rowing machine unfortunately. plus, i'd really prefer to do something at home. i've heard that kettlebell swings might be a replacement? i know nothing about them (like, nothing...how to do them, what weight, etc.).

any ideas?

lolov is offline Senior Member
    KBS are a fine replacement for sprints, but they are HIP/LEG exercises, not upper body. If you're using your arms/shoulders you're doing it wrong ;-)

Having had two major knee surgeries in my life, one when I was in my early 30's and one last year, I can tell you from experience to NOT do stuff your PT/doc tells you not to do. If they are telling you to take it easy, then take it easy. I *get* the wanting to breathe hard, I do But trust me... that surgical inflammation is going to turn into chronic inflammation (and it will last a LOT longer and cause you way more annoyance and missed workouts than if you just take it easy for a while.

use the time to do a lot of slow moving and meditation. Sometimes, I think we feel like we *need* the heart pounding stuff because it's a great diversion (not saying this is your deal, just thinking out loud Use this time to really connect with your body on a profound level through meditation and your workouts when you're back to 100% will be all the better!

Best ofluck to you! Knees are a PITA....

Quote Originally Posted by lolov View Post
    Having had two major knee surgeries in my life, one when I was in my early 30's and one last year, I can tell you from experience to NOT do stuff your PT/doc tells you not to do. If they are telling you to take it easy, then take it easy. I *get* the wanting to breathe hard, I do But trust me... that surgical inflammation is going to turn into chronic inflammation (and it will last a LOT longer and cause you way more annoyance and missed workouts than if you just take it easy for a while.

use the time to do a lot of slow moving and meditation. Sometimes, I think we feel like we *need* the heart pounding stuff because it's a great diversion (not saying this is your deal, just thinking out loud Use this time to really connect with your body on a profound level through meditation and your workouts when you're back to 100% will be all the better!

Best ofluck to you! Knees are a PITA....
    actually, the doctor didn't tell me to take it easy. he did recommend that i stay away from any squatting or crouching, but that's it. he told me to go have a ball, within my comfort.

i agree with that diversion thing...though i don't think that's why i want to do something high intensity. it's just been six weeks since my injury, and i like how i feel after a good sprint workout. don't need it; just want it.

Dave_o is offline Senior Member
    Don't happen to live near a marina do you?
    I always equated the guys on racing yachts working the coffee grinders as doing a stand up sprint.

Short of that, invest in a heavy bag and a set of gloves (16oz if you want to save your hands) and start doing timed 'punch outs'.
    Few things will get you breathing harder than that, plus you can release the stress of having a bum knee.
    Hows that for bang for your buck.

i live near a ton of marinas...i'll have to see if one of them will let me come by and play once a week

MichaelScott is offline Junior Member
    1. Sledge hammer slams on a tire.
    2. Tornado ball slams or side to side.
    3. Arm bike
    3. You can always do a bunch of different push up exercises. Such as: speed drills, or like Ross does in the beginning of this video.
    4. All of these (except for the hand bike) are pretty high intensity so you probably want to do it to a HIIT or Tabata protocol with a timer.

Will Murphy is offline Junior Member
    Canoe, kayak or dragon boat.

Swim.

Could try some form of bear crawl, see if you can find a way you can do pain-free.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelScott View Post
    1. Sledge hammer slams on a tire.
    2. Tornado ball slams or side to side.
    3. Arm bike
    3. You can always do a bunch of different push up exercises. Such as: speed drills, or like Ross does in the beginning of this video.
    4. All of these (except for the hand bike) are pretty high intensity so you probably want to do it to a HIIT or Tabata protocol with a timer.
    that's the first i've heard of a tornado ball. looks like fun.
    and thanks for the sledgehammer reminder. i completely forgot about sledge work and shoveglove