Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where does Zumba fit into PBF? page

Jen AlcesAlces is offline Senior Member

Where does Zumba fit into PBF?

I know Mark says to dance freely, but my effort level is very high, 75%+ max HR, at Zumba class - I go all out. The Zumba website calls it interval-like... Really? so should I cut out my weekly sprints? Or is this just a hobby that I shouldn't figure into PB fitness at all?

Typical week for me:
    2 Zumba classes, 1 hour each
    LHT 3 times per week
    HIIT 1 time per week (sprints, hill sprints, or burpee-type stuff)
    Daily walks and slow jogs, 25+ miles per week

Would appreciate any opinions... Thanks!
    Jen

john_solo is offline Senior Member
    Sounds to me like you really like Zumba. If that's the case, treat it like play and go for it.

Thanks for the response, John. Yes I do love dancing like a fool!

Probably a good idea to just treat it as play time and continue to do my sprints as well. Haha, maybe I was looking for a reason to cut those out.

Patrick is offline Senior Member
    Hmmm... I think Zumba, as you do it, would qualify as a sprint + play. To that effect, I'd say you don't need both Zumba and the HIIT. However, if you enjoy both, carry on with them! Looks like a fun schedule to me.

(edit: why the christ am I seeing HIIT twice? It isn't entered as text, but I can't get rid of it through editing. Grrr...)
    Last edited by Patrick; 02-28-2011 at 03:10 PM.
    August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

I have a new site up and will soon be blogging at The Wayward Mind. (My journal is semi-retired at this point)

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    My "sprints" are done during my free-style dance sessions. Do what feels good for you!

MrsToon is offline Senior Member
    That looks like so. Much. FUN. There is a class today at 6:30, I'm there. THANK YOU for sharing this dance/workout/ zumba party concept.

NutMeg is offline Senior Member
    I think while it IS a form of intense exercise, if you already full on sprint (as in teh running type) the muscles exercised are very different. You will benefit from each, but you may not need to sprint quite as frequently.

lizch is offline Senior Member
    I do Jazzercise, which is similar. Since adopting the primal way, rather than going all out for the 40 minutes of cardio, I dance just to have fun except for one or two routines where I go all out. Works great, because some routines I absolutely LOVE pushing myself (combo of great music and great choreography) whereas others I'm content to relax more and just have fun.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Thank you all for the responses... I appreciate it! Guess the general consensus is to just have fun, I can deal with that.

Mrs. Toon, hope you were able to try it out and had fun with it!

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    (edit: why the christ am I seeing HIIT twice? It isn't entered as text, but I can't get rid of it through editing. Grrr...)
    I noticed this in other people's comments, and I kept thinking.. does PB make you repeat yourself? Ha, until I tried to quote them and it went away, ooops. Just a weird quirk of the forum, I suppose.

MrsToon is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'm going to the first class in about two hours, I'm so excited. I even have "new" secondand vibrams to break in. Woohoo!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast