Thread: Leptin Resistance with PCOS page

Momto3 is offline Senior Member

Leptin Resistance with PCOS

Shop Now
    I am looking for some help. I am looking into the relationship of leptin and women with PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome)

I was looking at these studies: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15107936
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20500101
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20137676

The reason I am looking into this is wondering if I need to focus more on leptin resistance than insulin resistance and if this would change things for me. I have greatly improved on PB. My triglycerides have greatly improved, my fasting bg is around 85. My 1 hr post meal bg doesn't get higher than 130 and recovers fairly quickly. I've lost 19 lbs so far. (9 months) BMI is 26.4 I am losing weight, average .5 lb/wk.

Mark has had some great posts on leptin resistance.

Has anybody looked into this? There is a book called The Fat Resistance Diet. Claims of course to be different than low-carb, but I wonder just how different it is. By doing the PB am I taking care of leptin resistance also?

Thanks for any insight.
    Favorite Mark Quote: "I train to play."

June 2010: 168.6 -size 16
    Current: 150 - size 8/10
    Goal:130 - size 6

My Journal

Momto3 is offline Senior Member
    Now this study is interesting... Metformin Restores Leptin Sensitivity in High-Fat

I was on metformin before getting pregnant and breastfeeding. It didn't help me lose weight, but it stopped the weight gain that is associated with PCOS. This was before going primal. I haven't restarted metformin yet. I was waiting until I weaned.....and wondering what a primal diet would do for PCOS and whether or not I would still need the metformin. Interesting....
    Favorite Mark Quote: "I train to play."

June 2010: 168.6 -size 16
    Current: 150 - size 8/10
    Goal:130 - size 6

My Journal

spakesneaker is offline Senior Member
    I was/am mildly to moderately insulin resistant with PCOS and probably leptin resistant too. Taking metformin helped me get my period back... and although I've implemented dietary and lifestyle changes and lost weight, I think taking the metformin was still helping me ovulate/menstruate. It's been 31 days since my last cycle ended, and I could feel my period coming on, but I had to go to a new doctor to get a prescription refill, and she refused to prescribe it to me (since apparently losing weight, not addressing the underlying cause of the health problems, is the solution to health problems), and then agreed to decrease the dosage. Then again I went no more than two weeks without bleeding from this past September-December, so obviously there's some weird hormonal shit going on with my body and I'm going to have to wait it out to see if my period will regulate itself without high-dose metformin.

Jasetyn is offline Junior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    We're having a bit of a discussion about this in the Primal Women group imasin, maybe that is the best place for this post?