Thread: Ratios of macronutrients page

Horsewoman is offline Senior Member

Ratios of macronutrients

Shop Now
    Hi,
    Okay so I gave in and started tracking my macros but I don't know what they should be, I am confused as the calculations here seem to be based on deciding a daily calorie intake and I'm not doing that. I don't want to work it out based on calories as I'm not calorie counting, I want to eat to satiety but no more, while I am starting out. What I want is to know a good ratio to aim for.

Or should I calculate the protein and carbs and then add fat to the point I can just last between meals? Say 110g protein a day based on my lean mass, so I could aim for 37g per meal? If today is a good example I am eating about 50g of carbs a day (I don't plan to calculate that as I am only eating veggies so don't feel I need to right now). Then just add whatever fat I need to add to what's already in the meat etc, to get up to the amount that holds me (which I can find out by trial and error I suppose, I already know which meals work better).

I also have a related question about recording fat intake. I have only ever monitored protein intake before as Radiant Recovery required me to have a certaion amount of protein per meal. But with fat, say if I eata piece of salmon, a lot of the fat will have come out onto the tray during cooking and won't get eaten, so if I just note the fat content from the package it won't be correct for what I have eaten? Or say I fry eggs in a tbsp of lard, a lot of the lard gets left in the pan after so how much to I write down I have had?
    Last edited by Horsewoman; 02-28-2011 at 10:22 AM.
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

Bodhi is offline Senior Member
    I like Robb Wolf's idea of doing a Zone type weight loss approach. You calculate your Zone requirements and then cut the carbs in half and double your fats. I think you are right on for the protein.
    ...how do you look, feel, and perform? -- Robb Wolf

My Blog.

Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi View Post
    I like Robb Wolf's idea of doing a Zone type weight loss approach. You calculate your Zone requirements and then cut the carbs in half and double your fats. I think you are right on for the protein.
    Okay, so zone is 40;30;30 of carbs, protein, fats, by calories. So if 30% is 110g protein, that is 440kcal. So total kcal is 1466. That would then be 440kcal of fat and 586kcal of carbs. Which gives carbs 147g and fat 49g.

So for primal that would be carbs 74g, protein 110g, fat 98g. Which is 1618kcal, which sound a bit low to me. So I'd be aiming for 33g of fat per meal. Which is around the amount I have in my lower fat meals, the ones that don't hold me more than 3 hours even if I've had 60g of protein. Aaaargh!

I am so not cut out for the numbers game! You would never believe I had a math A level and a course in degree level maths for scientists would you. All I can say is that was before I had 4 kids and got sick lol!!

Well I have established I need to cut my protein intake at least. And presumably up fat to reach satiety, since that is what I am aiming to achieve. Certainly cutting my protein and setting my fat at the level of my lower fat, non-satiating meals, isn't going to work. Back to the choice of feel weak and hungry, or stay fat. Great. If losing weight means eating 1600kcal a day and going hungry then I will just have to stay fat for now, becaus emy body just can't handle that.

The zone website said I can eat 2500kcal and maintain my weight, in which case I could eat more than 1600 and expect to lose. But if I used the ratios then I'd be having too much protein?
    Last edited by Horsewoman; 02-28-2011 at 11:29 AM.
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

Patrick is offline Senior Member
    Can I just ask why you started tracking? Were things not going well prior to you "giving in" and beginning to track? From what previous posts of yours I can remember, you seemed to be doing well and weren't having issues with eating. Ask yourself this: is there an issue and therefore you're tracking... or are you tracking and therefore there's an issue?

I'm kind of seeing the latter.
    August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

I have a new site up and will soon be blogging at The Wayward Mind. (My journal is semi-retired at this point)

Because I am not losing weight on whole30, and am having problems with hunger. See http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...909#post355909

You can tell that tracking isn't really my thing? LOL I'm more of an instinct and trial and error person really. And recording food is a pain when I am cooking for 6, trying to estimate my share of the meal.

It would be helpful though to at least have a rough idea of how many grams of protein and fat I need, with a good serving of veggies, to be ok till my next meal. Instead of having meals that work and meals that don't and not knowing what's going on. Though I suppose i already know the ones that aren't good are too low in fat (and also tend to be higher in protein as I eat a similar amount of meat, fish etc at each meal so if it's lower in fat I am getting more protein), like my breakfast today.

It was worth doing just to find out I am eating 2000kcal of macadamias a week. I could drop those and be down an average of 300 a day lol.

Harold Whitman

O_O
    O_O is offline Senior Member
    I'm a petite girl and find 4-6 ounces raw weight satisfying for protein and meets my needs. I use an amount of fat needed for preparing my meal. I don't like them overly fatty or swimming in fat. So if I don't feel I had enough fat in the meal I'll eat a Tbsp of coconut oil or EVOO off a spoon.

And I like a large portion of veggies. About 5 cups of salad (not just a lettuce salad) or a couple of cups of cooked veg.
    Last edited by O_O; 02-28-2011 at 12:58 PM.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Well, you are not supposed to check your weight during whole 30, are you? Personally if it's not really that interesting to you, and it's confusing, don't bother. If you are hungry, up your protein and drop your carbs / drop dairy. Do it by the foods you pick. Hitting a protein target is a terrible way to make food choices in my opinion.

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    She needs to lose weight as if I remember correctly Horsewoman is 230 lbs. Also I think has an issue with constant hunger so I don't think will succeed eating to satiety. Probably missing some nutrients that will help to control hunger.

I was reading Dana Carpender's blog about just recently going on Metformin and it making her less hungry:
    http://lowcarbohydrate.net/content/h...oing-metformin
    Last edited by Sue; 02-28-2011 at 05:08 PM.

Hi, yes I am 230lbs. I'm not constantly hungry though, just having trouble getting my meals to last more than 3-4 hours. The higher fat ones work better.

I'm getting tested for Hashimotos this week, so I should maybe just chill on this one for now. But actually, it's nice to have something else to think about instead of just worrying about test results! And thyroid problems would explain the hunger anyway.
    Last edited by Horsewoman; 03-01-2011 at 04:00 AM.

Harold Whitman