Page 74 of 696 FirstFirst ... 2464727374757684124174574 ... LastLast

Thread: Gripe of the Day page 74

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primalprincess7 View Post
    When your Ex contacts you after months go by just as you say to yourself you are over him!! Men have radar when it comes to this, I am convinced! :/
    I had an ex who would do this every few months for quite a while, and I realized after a couple of years that it was all a way of continuing to control and mess with me. I finally told him to shove it, didn't give him my new number, and blocked him on Facebook. So much better!
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

jspradley is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    I had an ex who would do this every few months for quite a while, and I realized after a couple of years that it was all a way of continuing to control and mess with me. I finally told him to shove it, didn't give him my new number, and blocked him on Facebook. So much better!
    EXACTLY. That's why ex's do that kind of shit. Luckily the ball is in your court at that point and you can say "Fook off!!"

Metismomma is offline Senior Member
    Oh me too. He would call me at some ridiculous hour like 3am. Last time he called it was 5 am and I told I really didn't care if he lived or died and hung up. Haven't spoke to him since.
    That was almost...omg..20 years ago?!!
    Holy SHIT! I'm getting old...
    Calm the f**k down.

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    Moving. I love the new place, but I wish I could just teleport all my stuff there. Packing boxes, and more boxes, and more boxes. At least it's lifting heavy things, right?
    Moving sucks. I moved 4 times between the ages of 19 and 22. When we moved the fifth time to the house I live in now (been here 33 years) I declared that I was never moving again. One good thing about moving though; it allows one to evaluate your junk and purge all your crap.

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    Other than some German auto brands (VW Mercedes Audi) why can't we get turbo-diesels in autos here in the US? Two of them are above my price and VWs are expensive to keep up. I really want a diesel auto for my next vehicle. You don't have to worry about battery disposal as in the hybrids and electrics or someplace to plug in your electric. Other technologies are not currently available and diesels can be converted to biofuels. But the only options here is to buy a pricey European car or a hulking pickup or SUV.
    I'm not in the market at the moment but my car is 11 years old. I have a cute little Toyota ECHO and it does get pretty good mileage. Bought gas this morning at $3.7999/gal when I drove by the station an hour later they had raised it to $3.8299. It just outrageous how they can raise prices like that. And yes I know the pay a lot more for fuel other places.

Kymma is offline Senior Member
    When your husband calls you to discuss something important, goes into a busy donut shop and gets frustrated with you when you weren't clear on something he said and all you can hear is the talking and laughing behind him. Enjoy that donut!

geostump is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynna View Post
    Other than some German auto brands (VW Mercedes Audi) why can't we get turbo-diesels in autos here in the US? Two of them are above my price and VWs are expensive to keep up. I really want a diesel auto for my next vehicle. You don't have to worry about battery disposal as in the hybrids and electrics or someplace to plug in your electric. Other technologies are not currently available and diesels can be converted to biofuels. But the only options here is to buy a pricey European car or a hulking pickup or SUV.
    I'm not in the market at the moment but my car is 11 years old. I have a cute little Toyota ECHO and it does get pretty good mileage. Bought gas this morning at $3.7999/gal when I drove by the station an hour later they had raised it to $3.8299. It just outrageous how they can raise prices like that. And yes I know the pay a lot more for fuel other places.
    Let me ask my husband about this tonight. He's an auto mechanic and may have an answer. I remember seeing Mercedes turbo-diesels back in the day and by that I mean the late 70's-early 80's. Not sure if its due to the fact that diesels stink(and they do when you initially start them) or the noise factor or maybe its just because they're a PITA to work on. I'll see if I can get an answer out of him on this.
    Georgette

Chasintrail is offline Senior Member
    Love love love my TDI, but yes, maintenance is expensive and god forbid it needs actual work. Eeeek. On the upside, I only fill up once a month and plan on getting at least 300,000 miles out of it.

I think that the main reason there are fewer diesels in the US is that the US automakers really screwed that one up in the 70s. Slow, smokey, smelly and loud. Newer diesels, the only way to tell is the engine sounds different. Not near as loud as the old ones. The smoke and smell thing are pretty non-existent also (although, I can intentionally create one hell of a black cloud if someone behind me deserves it LOL)

kenn is offline Senior Member
    The short answer?

Kaliforniastan emission standards (and 3 other states I can't remember off the top of my head) and the American consumer's aversion to buying diesel
    Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
    Starting Weight: 294 pounds
    Current Weight: 235 pounds
    Goal Weight: 195 pounds

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by geostump View Post
    Let me ask my husband about this tonight. He's an auto mechanic and may have an answer. I remember seeing Mercedes turbo-diesels back in the day and by that I mean the late 70's-early 80's. Not sure if its due to the fact that diesels stink(and they do when you initially start them) or the noise factor or maybe its just because they're a PITA to work on. I'll see if I can get an answer out of him on this.
    The new VW TDIs don't stink--other than the engine sounding slightly different, you'd hardly even know it was a diesel. I have a TDI Golf Wagon and adore it. The VW diesels are usually quite reliable too. The upkeep isn't too bad here, and most of my VW-owning friends who've bought the new generation VW diesels (2009 or later model years) are pleased with how good they've been to date. Although repairs are going to cost more than an American car, parts are certainly much cheaper than most other European cars.

Yes, it was more money than some other options, but the pricing was about the same as a comparable hybrid, and I don't have to worry about the thousands of dollars it would cost to replace a hybrid's battery in a few years, plus the environmental impact of battery disposal. Also, holy crap, it's fun to drive compared to my friend's Civic hybrid. Torque is good
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal