Page 585 of 696 FirstFirst ... 85485535575583584585586587595635685 ... LastLast
Results 5,841 to 5,850 of 6956

Thread: Gripe of the Day page 585

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Really, I think about the liability if someone's child is hurt at my place because the parent let them do whatever they wanted.

I have no children. I do not have my home childproofed. A neighbor came over to bake Christmas cookies. Her husband had the toddler, we thought. He dumped the kid off on us. Now, wouldn't you think a parent would pay attention? She walked out on the deck to have a smoke while I was putting the cookies in the oven. I turned around to find that child about to stick a screwdriver in an electrical socket. At almost the same time she comes running in screaming at me for not having my home childproofed. If that kid had been hurt or killed I would have been the one getting in trouble, not the inattentive parent.
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    When my kids were school age, I use to tell them they had to behave when we went shopping or I would sing opera right there in the middle of the store.

It worked because they knew I really would.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Grok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    I'm almost out of eggs and my egg dealer isn't delivering until Thursday.
    GotD: I don't have an egg dealer.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grok View Post
    GotD: I don't have an egg dealer.
    She sells eggs and meat from her farm out of the back of her pickup truck, and I dial her up and give her my order. It really is like having a dealer, except her stash consists of all-natural garlic sausage and tasty, tasty bacon.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    She sells eggs and meat from her farm out of the back of her pickup truck, and I dial her up and give her my order. It really is like having a dealer, except her stash consists of all-natural garlic sausage and tasty, tasty bacon.
    I have a dealer whose stash is un-pasteurized goat milk and homemade goat cheese. I need a fix.

Saoirse is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by drssgchic View Post
    I grew up in the country, so going anywhere was pretty much a treat. If we misbehaved, we were bundled back in the car and went home. She walked away from full grocery carts to do this.
    never understood how this tactic works. the kid(s) usually doesn't want to be in the store in the first place. of course, i would lord it over the kid for days: "well, you could be eating yogurt right now. but (kid) couldn't control himself in the store and so we had to leave without it." but i'm evil like that.

Apparently we kids did a good job of impressing on him that you did NOT want to be stuck in the car with Mom for 20 miles up to school if you missed the bus
    did you read about that mom who was charged with neglect for making her kid walk 5 miles to school? the kid was kicked off the bus for misbehavior, so that was his punishment.

Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post
    When my kids were school age, I use to tell them they had to behave when we went shopping or I would sing opera right there in the middle of the store.

for now, my kids would love this. not sure if that will change in a few years.

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crabbcakes View Post
    I would like you to address the restaurant behavior, seeing as you are all about energetic kids having "it didn't hurt anybody" fun. Do you actually smile with indulgence when an anonymous rogue kid deliberately messes with your table at an eatery?
    "Smile with indulgence"? No, I laugh with mirth. Actually, the last time a kid was climbing around the dinner table I ended up playing with the kid. I'm that singular kind of adult who is not too stupid to separate the concepts of fun and bad. And the people one table over gave the kid a pair of sunglasses to play with.
    Around here kids are only punished when it is appropriate. NOT when they're just being kids.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

texas.grok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post

Funnest story I heard along these lines was a mom that was having problems with her teenage son on school, getting calls almost daily about his behavior, etc.

Finally one day, after getting called again, she showed up at his school with curlers in her hair, a housecoat on, and slippers. Saw him in the hall with is friends, ran up and hugged him telling him that she had gotten a call from the school and knew that he needed her help. Followed him to class, put a chair next to his desk and promised to come and help every day until he got past this rough spot. Never missed the opportunity to loudly proclaim, in front of his friends of course, how much she loved him.

Took one day, problem solved, no more problems with her son again.....ever.
    Randal
    AKA: Texas Grok

Quote Originally Posted by texas.grok View Post
    Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
    http://hardcoremind.com/

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by texas.grok View Post
    Funnest story I heard along these lines was a mom that was having problems with her teenage son on school, getting calls almost daily about his behavior, etc.

Finally one day, after getting called again, she showed up at his school with curlers in her hair, a housecoat on, and slippers. Saw him in the hall with is friends, ran up and hugged him telling him that she had gotten a call from the school and knew that he needed her help. Followed him to class, put a chair next to his desk and promised to come and help every day until he got past this rough spot. Never missed the opportunity to loudly proclaim, in front of his friends of course, how much she loved him.

Took one day, problem solved, no more problems with her son again.....ever.
    I know a great lady who did something very much like this. She is an adoption worker for a private agency that handles the toughest adoption cases - the older kids referred from the State where the State originally took the kids for horrible abuses. Well, this lady had to be to work on time at the agency, you know, and the deal was that her daughter had to be waiting at the high school parking lot turnaround at such and such a time, and started not being there.

The mom found out that the girl was blowing her off to talk to a cute guy she hoped to make a boyfriend of. Next day - curlers in hair, housecoat and ugly jammies, no makeup (Mom does wear it), most obnoxious bunny-ear slippers... she is loudly searching the halls for her darling (Mom knows all the time where the locker is located - like I said, Mom does adoption for kids who are seriously messed up and play all kinds of games before they get well, so this Mom does serious recon...). Yup, finds her daughter at her locker giggling with Cute Guy. Daughter almost fell over in a faint when her Mom caught up with her, even though the Mom said not one mean word... "Suuuuugar! There you are! Baaaaaaaby, you know that I need to be at work soon....(in her most obnoxious faux Southern accent)"

Mom told me that her daughter was NEVER, EVER late to ANY appointment, class, or meetup TO THIS DAY.

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    sigh.....the plans of mice and men (and women) Just when one is feeling really energetic and ready to really work one's ass off....the system is down...