Page 579 of 696 FirstFirst ... 79479529569577578579580581589629679 ... LastLast
Results 5,781 to 5,790 of 6956

Thread: Gripe of the Day page 579

katemary is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    + 1

they cant project on anyone else about kid feeling isolated if they choose to have....one

trekfan is offline Senior Member
    Gripe:

No one wants to try my Primal creations in the kitchen! Damn it all, they taste good, different yes, but good!

*sigh* Being the only Primal person in a house with 4 SAD eaters (my three siblings and my father) and 1 Weight Watchers person (my mother) isn't the easiest arrangement. Yet, I've made it work...I want to include them in my WOE but they're all pretty much resistant to it (minus my mother who is slowly coming around after years of WW).

If it wasn't for Primal, I wouldn't be in the kitchen-I couldn't cook any of the usual SAD stuff in the kitchen, I always messed it up. Now, I can actually do a few things but no one tries them. It's rather infuriating!

I now understand why my mother got pissed when she made stuff and I wouldn't try it.
    Went Primal July 25th, 2011.

Current Age: 25

Total Loss: 126 lbs

Starting Stats: Weighed 266 lbs, Body Fat 37.6% (100 lbs), BMI 40.9

Current Stats: Weight 140 lbs, Body Fat 15.2% (21.1 lbs), BMI 21.2

Current Goals: Get a stronger core through Pilates and continue being as Primal as I can be.

My Weight Loss Notes Now on a blog page. It starts with "My Weight Loss: Introduction." Available to the public, share with friends if you'd like!

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Saoirse, I don't think it's petty at all. What drssgchic said, it's unreasonable for other mom to expect you to accommodate. Okay for the kid to feel left out, but she could have broached the topic differently. Don't feel guilty!

I will get my crying out later, probably, but for now I'm stuck at work.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by trekfan View Post
    Gripe:

No one wants to try my Primal creations in the kitchen! Damn it all, they taste good, different yes, but good!

*sigh* Being the only Primal person in a house with 4 SAD eaters (my three siblings and my father) and 1 Weight Watchers person (my mother) isn't the easiest arrangement. Yet, I've made it work...I want to include them in my WOE but they're all pretty much resistant to it (minus my mother who is slowly coming around after years of WW).

If it wasn't for Primal, I wouldn't be in the kitchen-I couldn't cook any of the usual SAD stuff in the kitchen, I always messed it up. Now, I can actually do a few things but no one tries them. It's rather infuriating!

I now understand why my mother got pissed when she made stuff and I wouldn't try it.
    lol, i had the same experience when i was expected to bring food to class (class rule, my cell phone went off), and i made chocolate mousse, and only 2-3 people tried it! WTF?? i even covered it in whipped cream and dusted cocoa powder on top so it would look pretty.

Quote Originally Posted by katemary View Post
    saoirse..that it tough because your position was reasonable. Was there any expectation of universal catering?

Mommy politics sounds like a whole new raw ballgame, esp when you need convenient arrangements to function. How did you respond?
    yeahh...mommy politics. at the time i was a little taken back and tried to explain that i didn't realize that i was supposed to include him. i guess she was expecting more of a potluck-style where we both contribute food and the kids all eat what they want. usually the agreement is that i provide food for mine and hers when it's my turn to watch her kid, and she provides food for mine and hers when she's watching the kids. but because they were going out somewhere and i was instructed to provide food for mine to bring (even though it was her watch), it didn't occur to me that we were doing some sort of potluck-spread.

Quote Originally Posted by drssgchic View Post
    You're right, you're super pet . . .

Wait, hang on. What is wrong with that woman? She probably has no idea that she's creating the kind of person that makes those of us that had siblings cringe when someone says they're an only child. What a precious little snowflake he must be. Yeesh. While it's not your job to make him deal with the fact that sometimes he has to do "without" it's also very much not your responsibility to give him a blinkin' juice box, either. Just sayin'.
    don't want to be mean or anything. i think we have different ways of looking at the world. lol, i hate to bring it back to politics, but...
    Quote Originally Posted by katemary View Post
    + 1

they cant project on anyone else about kid feeling isolated if they choose to have....one
    interesting point, i hadn't thought about that. we have to deal with a lot of "we can't have..." and "we won't go to..." because i have three kids to pay for and monitor. they miss out on so much because i have to care for three and moreso because one of them is a toddler (going to museums, waterparks, getting cool stuff at Christmas, one-on-one time with me). It's not like we NEVER do these things, but we certainly do them less often than kids we know who are onlies. I guess this is the flip side of having siblings: you feel more included because your siblings share your fate.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse View Post
    Her 5 year old apparently protested loudly at the fact that i didn't pack one for him.
    Hello Saorise. No, not petty. I get it. I have four of my own, so I get all the conflicting-in-the-head stuff. He is only-child, yours are a bit tougher, you like both mom and kid... I think your feelings show you are simply a good mom and a nice person, to boot. And nice people don't like leaving friends out, even if it was not intentional. Nothing more. And mom is wrapped up in her single, solitary little man - also nothing horrible. Come on over and I'll pour you a too-sweet wine and we'll swap stories until this one just goes *poof* into the ether... talking about these things gets them out of your head so you can go on with your day.

This has nothing to do with anything, but I'll tell you my most recent story of encounter-with-only-child...

Only child is the 17-year-old daughter of my brother-in-law. They wanted more kids and tried everything but my sister-in-law's baby-making plumbing irreversibly quit so they had just one. Like I said, I have 4, all girls. One of them is special-needs, really touchy-feely because touch was her main input to the outside world for the longest time until I could get her straightened out enough (tons of docs and therapies) to use words more, but it still remains important. This is the kind of kid who, when she sits next to you, is pushing up against you from that side. The whole family knows her story and has enough experience with her so that it is now, "oh, whatever", when we all get together.

So - the entire family - grandparents, all their kids plus spouses and grandchildren (my special one among them), are at a state park for the week, camping in the cabins. Each family unit got their own cabin. The 17-year-old brought her boyfriend along. He is a neat guy - friendly, outgoing, big lug of a young man, experience with disabled kids and has no "ewwwww" problems with my daughter. My daughter picked up on the fact that he is so cool and proceeds to want to play with him as much as he will allow, including a bunch of baby wrestling, which the 17-year-old's father is about 95% the instigator of the entire week - and special kid saw that it was quickly becoming the WWF, so she thought she would participate...

Well - on a family walk, I am approached by the mom of the 17-year-old. I like this lady, just so you know. She proceeds to tell me that there was a huge family fight the night before in her cabin about how my special-needs daughter was climbing all over the boyfriend, and how the 17-year-old DEMANDED that her mom come and talk to me about it to get it to quit...

I was stunned. My other sister-in-law (who has 3 of her own) overheard this, and once the mom of the 17-year-old walked on, let the f-bombs drop like rain. That made me feel better... but what CHILDISHNESS!!!

Edit: I forgot to tell - my daughter was 9...
    Last edited by Crabbcakes; 06-22-2012 at 11:10 AM.

you pinned it basically. soo...right or wrong, no juice boxes or other treats around that kiddo unless they come in packs of 4 (because i'm not buying 6 to placate one kid).

woah, how old is your special needs kiddo? was it an issue of "sharing" or was it because the 17 yo felt somehow insecure that her boyfriend was roughhousing with another (albeit special needs) girl? what a bummer. but it sounds like your niece has good taste in boys.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    woah, how old is your special needs kiddo?
    She was 9 at the time of the Boyfriend Crisis. THAT made it suck a kicker.

trekfan is offline Senior Member
    lol, i had the same experience when i was expected to bring food to class (class rule, my cell phone went off), and i made chocolate mousse, and only 2-3 people tried it! WTF?? i even covered it in whipped cream and dusted cocoa powder on top so it would look pretty.

Seriously! The main complaint, of course, is that none of it is "sweet enough." Just because I don't put any processed sugar in the stuff doesn't mean it's not sweet. It tastes good, the problem is that they're "normal" level of sweet is ridiculously high because of all the SAD junk they eat.

I did however just get a brand spanking new jar of local honey (straight from the beeguy himself) so the next time I make things, I might throw a bit of that in and see if it makes the difference. I somehow doubt it though.
    Went Primal July 25th, 2011.

Current Age: 25

Total Loss: 126 lbs

Starting Stats: Weighed 266 lbs, Body Fat 37.6% (100 lbs), BMI 40.9

Current Stats: Weight 140 lbs, Body Fat 15.2% (21.1 lbs), BMI 21.2

Current Goals: Get a stronger core through Pilates and continue being as Primal as I can be.

My Weight Loss Notes Now on a blog page. It starts with "My Weight Loss: Introduction." Available to the public, share with friends if you'd like!

Quote Originally Posted by Crabbcakes View Post
    the mom of the 17-year-old
    douchebag- noun

An individual who has an over-inflated sense of self worth, compounded by a low level of intellegence, behaving ridiculously in front of colleagues with no sense of how moronic she appears.
    If I just said LOL, I lied. Do or do not. There is no try.

Quote Originally Posted by Crabbcakes View Post
    She was 9 at the time of the Boyfriend Crisis. THAT made it suck a kicker.
    oh wow. yeah, definitely a "i don't want to share my toy" sort of issue. hopefully she'll grow out of that.

trekfan- this was definitely sweet enough, and those who tried it made a point to catch me after class to tell me how much they liked it. *shrug* i think people aren't used to homemade food anymore.