Page 567 of 696 FirstFirst ... 67467517557565566567568569577617667 ... LastLast
Results 5,661 to 5,670 of 6960

Thread: Gripe of the Day page 567

tapper47 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaisyEater View Post
    Tailgating in general is my biggest driving pet peeve. Not only is it unsafe, it just makes no sense. The person tailgating is cutting down their own maneuverability and putting their safety in the hands of the person in front of them.

The thing that astonishes me is that the people I know who do this tend to be of the sort that think all the other drivers on the road are idiots and that their own driving skills are nigh on professional. I don't care how good a driver you think you are. If you are riding on the ass of some 'idiot' and they hit the brakes unexpectedly, you are going to crash. If you think they're all dumbasses, why are you relying on them to keep you safe? Back off and give yourself the room to pass them if you don't like how they're driving.

Of course, I think it's more about their need to express their disapproval by crawling up the other driver's butt than it is about a reasoned philosophy on how to drive.
    Tailgaters so piss me off that I ALWAYS tap the brakes. And then I look in the rear view mirror and tell them to "Get off my ass".

It's not as if I drive slow. The Highway Patrol gave me a ticket for doing 40 in a 25 in my teensy little town. (I have been really careful ever since. Insurance doncha' know.)

I have a really weird road where I live and one time we had a 5 car pile-up at the end of my driveway. Come on guys, it's a rural road. Deal.
    Last edited by tapper47; 06-06-2012 at 08:47 PM. Reason: more info

athomeontherange is offline Senior Member
    GOTD: I am GOING the speed limit (love cruise control- helps avoid tickets from the sheriff) and have jerks riding my ass then roaring around on a country road. Really? You are in that much of a hurry? I guess they need to get to that intersection a whole minute or two ahead of me.
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by athomeontherange View Post
    GOTD: I am GOING the speed limit (love cruise control- helps avoid tickets from the sheriff) and have jerks riding my ass then roaring around on a country road. Really? You are in that much of a hurry? I guess they need to get to that intersection a whole minute or two ahead of me.
    Yesterday I was on a windy back road, with no where to pass behind a driver going 30 in a 40 mph zone. The person behind me was right up my ass. It's not my fault that I'm driving under the speed limit; therefore, riding up my ass will not make me drive any faster.

Drivers these days act as if everyone is in their way. There is a rudeness and inconsiderateness that was not there 20 years ago. They approach stop signs and right turns where you have to stop and look first with the view that instead of YOU HAVE TO STOP AND LOOK BEFORE PROCEEDING -with I'll just keep going if no one is coming. They've decided that yield must apply to traffic already on the road, because I've been cut off so many time by a driver going through a yield sign I've lost count. I can't imagine why everyone thinks their time is more precious that someone else's and why they don't realize that when they cause an accident due to their negligent driving it costs everyone time and money.

My opinion of other drivers has become even worse since I was hit by a driver going through a red light while I was making a turn on a green arrow. Luckily I was almost through the intersection and she hit me in my rear quarter panel. Still totaled my car and caused me a lot of anxiety. Had to go to the doc for Xanax so I could sleep. This happened last August and I'm still jumpy when I see a driver giving the appearance of not stopping at a signal.

athomeontherange is offline Senior Member
    I will agree about the increasing lack of consideration on the road. Do not even get me started on merge lanes... its much like the yield issue. Someone mentioned driving defensibly, which I do. I remember back when I was learning to drive (ummm feels like eleven-teen thousand years ago) that term being pounded into my head. I had some understanding of it but not the clarity I do these days.

Though I am not sure what is worse, country roads or inner city. Its a good day when I do not have to drive to the city.
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    GOTD: Almost no rain for months and then the worst storm in 10 years last night. My creek that is normally a trickle rose about 8 ft and flooded the back yard, taking with it almost 10 yards of play ground mulch, washed away most of my "good" garden soil and hailed the crap out of everything else. What a mess.

Other than that, I totally am counting my blessings as the tornados missed us entirely and other than a huge mess, all is well

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    Oh dear, we watched the storms roll in last night and move south. the weather changed from warm and sunny to cold and windy, then the wind stopped and the rain started. the wind came back fiercely and i heard a whirring sound. i knew it wasn't right for a tornado, so i wasn't worried for us. i'm glad you guys made through it alright too. I'm sorry you lost your soil amendments.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    I try hard to be a responsible person, and a forgiving person, too, and I try to be an example of both to our four kids. I really do kinda' believe in the old saying that "what goes around comes around".

But last weekend I got upset. The oldest daughter and I were at a local university-affiliated nature center. Really nice set-up, a local farmer donated all his land and barn ages ago, real research plots are there, tons of programs for the youngest to the oldest all year 'round, from city-kid-who-never-saw-a-cow-before to seasoned nature lovers out with the naturalist, and I don't think I have ever seen a fee for anything.

So we are out with the college prof doing map and compass work class and when we get to the pond, someone had demolished part of the fencing around the pond. I hate vandalism!!! The oldest almost said what I was thinking, and it wasn't polite...

fastersteve is offline Member
    I have to buy new slacks, because mine have out grown me, again.

I saunter over to the mens department at Target where I find stacks and stacks of 36/38/40 waist Kakhi's and TWO! stinking pair of 32's, one of which was Pleated. UGH!

I look around the store as I walk to the checkout with my single pair of pants and don't see any dudes likely to be wearing 32 waist pants.

I wannna' know who keeps taking all the 32s.

And, the smallest belt they have is a 32/36, which puts me straight to the last hole. I already have a belt like that, dammit!

I didn't think to look in the boys dept. Maybe next time.

Paleobird Guest
    GOTD: BLEEPING smoke detectors that BLEEPING have to pick 4am as the time to BLEEPING start BLEEPING to ask for a new battery when I am sound asleep. Waking up huhwat?, stumbling around in the dark trying to find new battery by flashlight, getting battery in the wrong way and then the damn thing gets stuck and won't open to let me get the battery in right so it won't BLEEPING stop BLEEPING all BLEEPING night. I finally gave up and went to bed with ear plugs in and sorted it out in the morning.

billp is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I have an open fireplace, so a smoke detector wouldn't do me much good, at least not in winter. (er, see current pic <- )