Page 5 of 696 FirstFirst ... 345671555105505 ... LastLast

Thread: Gripe of the Day page 5

Saoirse is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    oh good, the wee one will be old enough so that i can stick him in daycare in order to pay for someone else's health problems (and his daycare costs). the older two are "free" as i'm already paying for the public schools.

Digby is offline Senior Member
    My taxes pay for lots of things I don't use or get direct benefit from, but still ought to be there. My biggest gripe is paying the salaries and lifetime retirement of congressmen/women who don't really do much for the "general welfare" we are told government is all about. Why should I pay for their health insurance when I know a lovely young family who have been bankrupted because of having no insurance when their baby developed a serious illness and the company canceled them immediately. This used to be a compassionate country.
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

jspradley is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse View Post
    oh good, the wee one will be old enough so that i can stick him in daycare in order to pay for someone else's health mistakes (and his daycare costs).
    Way to look at the bright side.

The health care "overhaul" was such an emergency measure that it took 4 years to impliment....

Saoirse is online now Senior Member
    digby- i agree with you. i'm happy to pay for social welfare IF i have to money for it after paying for the needs of my own family, and IF the money i'm paying is actually having an impact on others. i'm not 100% opposed to the idea of using taxes to benefit people down on their luck. however, i don't think switching the costs of health care to tax payers is going to get to the root of inflated health care costs and ineffective medicine.

btw, jspradley, would you please edit your comment which quoted me? i changed "mistake" to "problem" because i recognize that not all health issues are preventable. it's not my intent to upset or offend someone. you quoted me before i had a chance to do my usual "oh shit, i said that?!?" edit. thx.
    Last edited by Saoirse; 03-05-2011 at 01:15 PM.

Gripe of the year: So I had a root canal three years ago. Last summer the tooth started hurting, turns out by November, I had an abscess in that supposedly dead tooth. Had second painful root canal on that tooth. Insurance paid $200, and I'm expected to pay $1000. I'm girding my loins this morning to call the endodontist and give them what for. Also going on line and rating this guy and all the other ones, good or bad. Public be warned, is my new motto.
    SUCCESS! Yesterday I got a letter in response to the one I sent telling him I felt it was an unreasonable burden to have to pay to have two root canals on same tooth, and he dismissed the $1042 bill.
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Noctiluca is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Digby View Post
    SUCCESS! Yesterday I got a letter in response to the one I sent telling him I felt it was an unreasonable burden to have to pay to have two root canals on same tooth, and he dismissed the $1042 bill.
    Hooray!

That is always such a tricky thing. Cause I can see it from the other side too. They had to do the work twice so shouldn't they get paid? (Now I've moved on away from your specific case here cause a root canal SHOULD be a one time procedure. ) Because sometimes despite a person doing a procedure exactly how it is supposed to be, problems arise. Some peoples bodies just react differently. So should we have to pay again or should the doctor have to do work for free? It is a quandary!

But hooray that you didn't have to pay for a second root canal!

My gripe of the day is badly behaved adults. I don't know why we say people are acting like children when they are MISbehaving because quite frankly most children are better behaved than the adults!
    This is my list of things that children seem to know that adults have chosen to forget:
    1) put things back where you found them. As in the cream pitcher belongs over HERE where I can keep it filled. Sugar goes over THERE by the other sweeteners (you know... where it was when you picked it up?)
    2) Trash goes IN the TRASH can. Not the clearly marked recycle bin, not the counter top right NEXT to the trash can. Not the patio table where it can blow away.
    3) Clean up after yourself. Or at the VERY least let me know if you spilled something so /I/ can clean it up before it becomes a ground in or sticky or dried up mess.
    4) Yes refills cost money. The coffee still costs US money even if you have already filled your cup once.
    5) Please and thank you and actually stopping long enough to order your coffee are all appreciated.
    6) If I bend over backward to make your drink JUST right, make you something that isn't on the menu or bust my ass to make you 8 different drinks as fast as I can so you can hurry on your way then PLEASE, show a little appreciation. At the very least a thank you and a smile would be great and a tip in my tip jar would be even more awesome. (and if you ordered off the menu, looked me in the eye, smiled, waited patiently and said thank you when I handed you your drink then don't feel bad if you don't leave a tip.) But if you are a going to be a pain please compensate me for having to put up with you!
    :P

(its a good thing I actually like making coffee and that MOST of my regulars are pretty awesome people because a few people really are irritating!)

Noctiluca: Certainly these situations vary, but normally one would expect to be made aware that such a possibility exists. For instance, I just had rotato cuff surgery, but if it gets torn again I would see that as another surgery. The root canal was sold as a this-will-permanently-solve-the-problem procedure. I wrote a respectful letter, which could have gotten a different response; it never hurts to try and resolve a matter. Btw, he did get paid for the filling he put pn top of the root canal and where he drilled through the crown.
    Last edited by Digby; 03-06-2011 at 07:24 PM.

Red face

Noctiluca: Your gripe is heard loud and clear, unfortunately probably not by those who need it. I can see your list on those paper coffee cups all over America! Patent it now.

Quote Originally Posted by Digby View Post
    Noctiluca: Your gripe is heard loud and clear, unfortunately probably not by those who need it. I can see your list on those paper coffee cups all over America! Patent it now.
    Ooh! Thats a GOOD idea. It also leads me to add an amendment to my gripe list from earlier..... Don't ask for a to-go cup and then sit in the shop, drink the whole thing and then throw away the paper. Thats why we offer ceramic cups for coffee in the shop! Doh!

Page 5 of 696 FirstFirst ... 345671555105505 ... LastLast