Page 47 of 696 FirstFirst ... 3745464748495797147547 ... LastLast

Thread: Gripe of the Day page 47

canio6 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    . c) Most people think Locks of Love "makes your hair into wigs for cancer kids". That's not really what they do. Actually I consider them fairly shady, as charities go.

Hmmm...what do they do then? Yes, I could look it up myself but that would eliminate the chance of someone to post a GOTD saying "Lazy people who wont do their own research"

naiadknight is offline Senior Member
    Back when my hair was much longer, I had people constantly reaching out to touch it, even as far back as HS. I developed a reaction that put people off of doing that: Touch me when I'm not expecting it, get kicked. Seriously. If you touched any part of me when unexpectedly from behind, I reflexively dropped into a back donkey kick. I've gotten a lot better about that. Now I just whirl around and "Excuse me?! That's part of me, not you. It may be pretty, but you have no right to touch it. Get bent."
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    just imagine what it must be like to be pregnant and have people touching your belly all the time.
    Yeah, I've experienced this: nothing like minding your own business washing your hands in the bathroom, then having some random member of the janitoral staff come up behind you and give ya the belly reacharound. Uhghh.

Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    Hmmm...what do they do then?
    They sell your hair for about $3 (if it's in good enough condition to sell -- most American hair isn't because we dye it, dry it, wash it too often, etc.) Then they buy hair from overseas and use that to make wigs for people (not necessarily kids) who have permanent medical hair loss (so, not due to chemotherapy, that's typically temporary.) Then they sell those hairpieces to people (they might let them have it for free if you're super-poor but it can be as much as $3,000.)

Yet because of their sketchy marketing tactics in the past, there is now this commonly accepted urban legend that it's "free wigs for cancer kids", popularized by TV special-interest pieces of haircutting drives at elementary schools, teary-eyed little girls saying "I just want some other little girl to be able to enjoy having hair!" etc.

But it doesn't work that way. And even if it did, A) The American Cancer Society explicitly recommends artificial wings instead of human for immunologic safety reasons, B) They have a track record of a few too many years on the naughty list with the Better Business Bureau for my comfort, C) like I said, my hair's only worth $3. I'll donate $3 (or a lot more) to research instead.

Obviously I don't launch into this giant lecture when random strangers go "Oh have you heard of Locks of Love?" I usually just say, "Most people don't know what that charity actually does -- I prefer to donate to other organizations, in other ways."

But every so often, maybe 20% of the time, I get someone who basically calls me selfish for keeping my hair long, "It'll just grow back!" as if it's their personal mission to advocate for this charity they really know very little about. Very presumptuous. Do I walk up to random people and say "You look like you have blood! You should donate it to the Red Cross!" or "You must have money, you're being selfish! Donate it! You can always make more!"

Whew, rant over.

P.S.: Don't get me wrong, if you really DO care deeply about baldness and therefore want to support this charity in particular... then go to town. Or if you happen to be planning to cut your hair anyway, might as well donate it. But it makes me raise an eyebrow whenever I hear "My cousin got cancer so I donated my hair!" or "Yes, I make my four children grow their hair out every year so we can donate it."
    Last edited by Jenny; 03-28-2011 at 01:12 PM.
    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

canio6 Guest
    Wow, thanks for all the info. Perhaps, I am jaded but if I ever get cancer I figure my hair or lack there of is the least of my worries. But then again being one without much hair anyway, I never really think about it to be honest. I can't imagnine someone just walking up and touching me in a store - be it on the hair or elsewhere. I think violence might ensue.

geostump is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    Wow, thanks for all the info. Perhaps, I am jaded but if I ever get cancer I figure my hair or lack there of is the least of my worries. But then again being one without much hair anyway, I never really think about it to be honest. I can't imagnine someone just walking up and touching me in a store - be it on the hair or elsewhere. I think violence might ensue.
    Try having your pregnant stomach touched by complete and utter strangers. I stepped on a woman's foot in the middle of the grocery store for that very thing.
    Georgette

canio6 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by geostump View Post
    Try having your pregnant stomach touched by complete and utter strangers. I stepped on a woman's foot in the middle of the grocery store for that very thing.
    Yeah, another fascination I have never understood. Is pregnancy a new thing? I am pretty sure women have been doing it for several thousand years now. No idea why people would want to touch a pregnant stomach. I can totally understand stomping on someone's foot for touching your stomach though.

Grok is offline Senior Member
    People who blame capitalism for problems caused by government.

I just got through watching Food Inc. What an incredibly mindless and idiotic movie. Made by the same idiots who brought you the lies in An Inconvenient Truth.

They spend the entire movie explaining how government is causing every single problem in the food industry, so what is their solution?

More powerful government.

What a bunch of morons. They tell us we should buy from farmers markets, but because they are so stupid, they voted for people who are now making farmers markets illegal.

Do they ask you at the end of the movie to write your congressman and tell him to stop corn subsidies? Oh hell no, they tell you to call your congressman to support giving the government more power. How clueless can you possibly get?

You people on the left need to stop blaming capitalism for everything and start blaming fascism and excessive government power.

Sheesh!

naiadknight is offline Senior Member
    More of a sad than a gripe.
    I finally found a brand that fits me perfectly. As in, don't even hafta try it on because it'll fit perfectly. Excellent, right? Wrong. I found it in a thrift store and came home to try and find them on the web. They went out of business back around Thanksgiving.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

MozartNH99 is offline Junior Member
    You people on the left need to stop blaming capitalism for everything and start blaming fascism and excessive government power.

Sheesh![/QUOTE]

AMEN!! Except I'd disagree that it's entirely the people on the Left who are responsible. The people on the Right have NEVER offered a moral defense of capitalism, ever. They agree with the Left's premises (being moral = sacrifice; free markets are good wealth-machines, but that wealth is owned collectively and needs to be doled out; the group exists apart from--and possesses more rights than--the individual; etc.), then proceed to bicker over HOW MUCH government intrusion there should be, TO WHAT DEGREE more rules, regulations, and wealth-sucking bureaucracies need to be instituted, and AT WHAT SPEED our freedoms ought to be curtailed... and all "for the greater good," of course. They're terrified of Obama (and they should be!), but they fail to realize that while Obama is an out-of-control car going 100mph, W. Bush was an out-of-control car going, ehh, maybe 90mph. Bush made Bill Clinton look like Ludwig von Mises.

Also, the Right hasn't a leg to stand on IMO until they get out of my bedroom and yours. Oh, and not everyone in this country believes in God. Deal with it.

The solution to too much donkey meat isn't just more elephant meat (again). We need a party where it's okay to be gay AND keep the money that you earn.
    "I will stand for the truth I see, so that truth is seen in me."

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I keep getting emails from tumblr.com saying my post was reblogged. I've never even heard of tumblr until about a week ago when I started getting the emails.