Page 440 of 696 FirstFirst ... 340390430438439440441442450490540 ... LastLast
Results 4,391 to 4,400 of 6960

Thread: Gripe of the Day page 440

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    BTW, the primal birth control thing does make sense. certain areas had very definite carrying capacities, and population was controlled. eugenics also played a role. we gasp at the thought of "emergency contraception," but even second trimester abortions are humane compared to ancient "birth control" measures of infanticide. often, birth control wasn't needed because of the extremely high rate of infant death. of course we like to think that Grok and his lady lover "honored life." that wasn't necessarily the case.

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    Sounded like Boyfriend hung up on me when I called just after his noon alarm went off. I tried calling back and got no answer, so I will just have to worry. I am sure he is okay (as okay as he can be right now, he is probably just sleeping since he was awake all night), but there is nothing that will put my mind at ease until I am at home.

I got a list of behavioral health providers in my area, fairly painlessly when I called my insurance. I don't know how soon I could get an appointment for myself, but I'll peruse the list tonight and maybe make some calls tomorrow. Even if this episode passes and Boyfriend starts to feel better, it would be good to have some tools under my belt for how to handle something like this in the future.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by drssgchic View Post
    The ONLY problem that "have children" should be a solution for is "I want children." That's it. The only one. "I'm having career trouble/boredom" is right up there with "The neighbors all have them" for lousy reasons to have them. I realize that YOU don't see overpopulation as a problem, but a lot of us do, which means that we need to think twice about adding to the problem. Beyond that, a woman is more than a walking uterus. Just because she CAN have children doesn't mean she SHOULD or that she should even want to. She WANTS to have a career. Therefore, she should put her efforts in that direction, yes?
    Absolutely, and I would add that other human beings should never be seen as solutions to problems. We're talking about vulnerable little people that need a full commitment to their well being in order to grow into happy, healthy adults. You really shouldn't enter into that relationship on a whim, out of boredom or dissatisfaction or just because it's what you're supposed to do.

kenn is offline Senior Member
    GotD: ignored prison rapes and ridiculous laws that imprison people

The Justice Department recently came out with figures suggesting there were 216,000 victims of prison rape in 2008—that’s the number of victims rather than incidents, which are probably far higher. Even this conservative estimate puts America in the painfully uncomfortable position of being “the first country in the history of the world to count more rapes for men than for women.”
    Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
    Starting Weight: 294 pounds
    Current Weight: 235 pounds
    Goal Weight: 195 pounds

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billp View Post
    Your another one. Almost as bad as Maureen. I don't mean to be rude, but you keep trying to join the system but you aren't on the inside track and you can't get there unless you are already there.

You're married, to a husband you give every indication of loving. Take some time off and have some children. Do a bit of freelance CAD in your spare time, but don't sweat it. You people are perfectly happy to decry veg oil as unnatural, but it is also unnatural for a happily married women to fight her way through the corporate/state apparatus, something never fulfilling at all, instead of raising a happy family. Its also about independence. Most people, men and women, aren't emotionally suited to be a cog in a corporate machine. People are fed so much nonsense at school they feel they have failed unless they have a corporate job, and squeezing in the much more fulfilling parts of life into the weekend or a later that never comes. It just isn't true.
    Sir-
    Having children is not up for debate here. I don't particularly give a rat's ass what you think it might solve (hint: it'll make things worse because podlings cost money.) It is not social pressure. It is not any of the other happy crappy 1950s BS you just tried to feed me. It is me wanting to do with my life what I have wanted to do with my life since before I even thought about spawning.
    Being a housewife, not that you need to know or seem to care, is not something I can do without causing a divorce. Geek works from home. We are both fairly introverted, meaning we both need a fair amount of alone time, even from each other. Even this month with me home has had us snapping at each other and reading on each other's toes. It is also not some I can do, personally. I'm bored and I'm going stir- crazy. I need to be able to get some interaction from others daily.
    I work because I enjoy the challenge, I need the stimulation, and I want the contact a job brings. Oh, we also need the money, ever think that one through? The world is not all Disney and lollipops. Popping out a spawn right now, prior to our agreed timeline, just because some jackass on the internet thinks I should "be a good housewife" isn't happening because it is not logical.
    Get the hell over yourself and welcome to 2012. It's time to toss your 1950s "papa knows best, pop out a mess of podlings and it'll all be ok" attitude.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Grok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kenn View Post
    GotD: ignored prison rapes and ridiculous laws that imprison people

The Justice Department recently came out with figures suggesting there were 216,000 victims of prison rape in 2008—that’s the number of victims rather than incidents, which are probably far higher. Even this conservative estimate puts America in the painfully uncomfortable position of being “the first country in the history of the world to count more rapes for men than for women.”
    Add that to the list of things America is #1 at.

GOTD: Why can't I stumble across this mystical place know as the Castle Anthrax?

canio6 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by justyouraveragecavemen View Post
    GOTD: Why can't I stumble across this mystical place know as the Castle Anthrax?
    Well, are you seeking the holy grail?

Oh, and if you need a traveling companion I wouldn't mind visiting that location myself.

GotD: People who expect me to be able to pull guards out of my ass. Sorry, it isn't happening.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Me, I'm looking for the rabbit with nasty, sharp, pointy, teeth.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    Well, are you seeking the holy grail?

Oh, and if you need a traveling companion I wouldn't mind visiting that location myself.

GotD: People who expect me to be able to pull guards out of my ass. Sorry, it isn't happening.
    Sorry, that castle only has room for one knight, thanks though. Also, sorry about the ass situation; don't people know there are limitations to what an ass can do?