Page 433 of 696 FirstFirst ... 333383423431432433434435443483533 ... LastLast
Results 4,321 to 4,330 of 6960

Thread: Gripe of the Day page 433

Gay Panda is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    I wasn't really thinking about how my degree would be useful, it was more about the "Look! I have dedication! I suffered through 4 yrs of liberal arts education!" for my resume than anything else.
    LOL. Ditto. I was told that one was just to pick an interesting major, and (I quote) 'the job will appear'.

Silly teenaged me. I believed it.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    I'm glad my undergrad was a professional-type degree--I've never had much trouble getting work since it's practical and broadly applicable (communications with a writing specialization). My MA work should be similarly flexible employment-wise, but I'm hoping to do a PhD after this.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Saoirse is online now Senior Member
    that sucks guys! i didn't go to college at the "appropriate" time because i didn't know what i wanted to do. now i'm going, but it's a bit tougher to study with three kids around, and the cost of the education is vastly more expensive because i have to pay for childcare AND can't work my way through college.

naiad's gripes aside, i think engineering is one of the safest fields to go into. watching my husband's job struggles over the years, i can appreciate that it takes time to build up to a position that doesn't suck and pays decently, especially if you're still an "EIT" (which to me, means "engineer's little bitch," though i could be mistaken). what i'm saying is, Naiad, hang in there. don't burn any bridges and pretend to love your work even if you want to stab everyone in the face. getting a good job is a combination of experience and CONTACTS, which takes years to build up.

kenn is offline Senior Member
    GotD: there are 71-81 communists in the house of representatives
    Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
    Starting Weight: 294 pounds
    Current Weight: 235 pounds
    Goal Weight: 195 pounds

Dailytribal is offline Senior Member
    Well if you like a certain thing but it won't get you anywhere then study about it yourself. Don't have to waste money on college for that IMO.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    GOTD: waiting for important test results.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    gotd: looking amazing and having no men fall all over themselves to say hi
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Gay Panda is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodorchid View Post
    gotd: looking amazing and having no men fall all over themselves to say hi
    ZOMGYOULOOKAMAZING!!! * trips, splats *

Will a panda do?

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Yes. I'm eligible to take my P&P and turn in my SER for approval to become a PE, but that's $415 I just don't have right now, and that's assuming I pass both on the first try. EIT means I'm legally not allowed to do engr work unless I have a full blown PE supervising me.
    I am trying to be patient, and so far as anyone knows, all those jobs I absolutely loved and I enjoyed doing. I'm trying to build contacts, but that's difficult to do when you can't keep a damn job.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse View Post
    ... but it's a bit tougher to study with three kids around...
    +1
    I had 2 kids when I went back, with the 3rd on the way when I graduated. Then came the fun of studying for the CMA exam with all 3.