Page 432 of 696 FirstFirst ... 332382422430431432433434442482532 ... LastLast
Results 4,311 to 4,320 of 6960

Thread: Gripe of the Day page 432

  1. #4311
    Maureen M's Avatar
    Maureen M is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    San Antonio TX
    Posts
    265
    Shop Now
    Naiad,
    I feel ya. I got my degree in English so I knew the pickins were slim....but civil engineering...i feel like they tell us to major in something useful, so we'll be able to find steady jobs, then when we do, all the stable jobs are gone and people are like "what you didn't know that this is the shittiest year for *suchandsuchjobs*?" You expected that degree to pay for itself?? Well you're worthless and full of this imaginary sense of entitlement. Go get a job you jobless hunk of flesh and stop living on the taxpayers dime"

    This world we live in, sometimes it is teh suck.

  2. #4312
    Gay Panda's Avatar
    Gay Panda is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Magical Bamboo Forest
    Posts
    3,354
    I regret ever going to college.

  3. #4313
    kenn's Avatar
    kenn is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4,667
    Quote Originally Posted by Mud Flinger View Post
    Kenn, this has got to be the best thing you've ever said (but, of course, I have a small sample size)!
    You should read my posts more, thars gold in d'em posts!
    Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
    Starting Weight: 294 pounds
    Current Weight: 235 pounds
    Goal Weight: 195 pounds

  4. #4314
    texas.grok's Avatar
    texas.grok is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Egypt with brief trips to Texas
    Posts
    1,107
    I was waiting for my wife outside a store yesterday when a fat couple, in their 30s/40s came out, got into their car in the handicapped spot, pulled out and, I shit you not, pulled no more than 100 feet down into another handicapped spot to go into Subway. Really?
    Randal
    AKA: Texas Grok

    Quote Originally Posted by texas.grok View Post
    Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
    http://hardcoremind.com/

  5. #4315
    naiadknight's Avatar
    naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Odessa/ Midland, TX
    Posts
    11,981
    I don't have my PE, I'm only an EIT. I've been trying to crossover to other lines of work. No go. I'm over educated, and underexperienced.
    I realize that wanting a job may be a sense of entitlement. I don't want the world to wait on me hand and foot. Matter of fact, I hate that idea; it brings to mind spoiled rich kids that feel the world owes them something because of who Daddy is. I just want a chance to work for a living and keep the damn job.
    Quelsen- I've tried changing what my definition of work is. It doesn't hafta use my degree, if I can follow another passion. I've tried answering "can you" with "yes." That was how I got with the enviro firm. I've tried looking outside my area of expertise. They want experience or 60 hr weeks.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

  6. #4316
    kenn's Avatar
    kenn is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4,667
    Naiad, time to setup your own shop and do work as an independent contractor/find your own clients?
    Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
    Starting Weight: 294 pounds
    Current Weight: 235 pounds
    Goal Weight: 195 pounds

  7. #4317
    Saoirse's Avatar
    Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    6,406
    she can't; she's an EIT. afaik, she HAS to work under the authority of a licensed engineer. naiad, it's a short-term thing, right? you have to work "X" number of years, then apply for the state license, then you can work for yourself?

  8. #4318
    kenn's Avatar
    kenn is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4,667
    Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse View Post
    she can't; she's an EIT. afaik, she HAS to work under the authority of a licensed engineer. naiad, it's a short-term thing, right? you have to work "X" number of years, then apply for the state license, then you can work for yourself?
    Hmm, if so maybe she can find someone that does what I described and work out a deal? I have no idea how this works.
    Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
    Starting Weight: 294 pounds
    Current Weight: 235 pounds
    Goal Weight: 195 pounds

  9. #4319
    namelesswonder's Avatar
    namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    MA, USA
    Posts
    12,022
    Quote Originally Posted by Maureen M View Post
    Naiad,
    I feel ya. I got my degree in English so I knew the pickins were slim....but civil engineering...i feel like they tell us to major in something useful, so we'll be able to find steady jobs, then when we do, all the stable jobs are gone and people are like "what you didn't know that this is the shittiest year for *suchandsuchjobs*?" You expected that degree to pay for itself?? Well you're worthless and full of this imaginary sense of entitlement. Go get a job you jobless hunk of flesh and stop living on the taxpayers dime"

    This world we live in, sometimes it is teh suck.
    I was an English major, but I did IT work at my school and went into the IT field after graduating. I wasn't really thinking about how my degree would be useful, it was more about the "Look! I have dedication! I suffered through 4 yrs of liberal arts education!" for my resume than anything else. I doubt I'll ever use my degree directly in my work, and I'm really not interested in doing so. Reading and writing is just what interested me most at the time, though if I could go back, I would've shoved myself into the Computer Science program.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

  10. #4320
    drssgchic's Avatar
    drssgchic is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    3,039
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    I was an English major, but I did IT work at my school and went into the IT field after graduating. I wasn't really thinking about how my degree would be useful, it was more about the "Look! I have dedication! I suffered through 4 yrs of liberal arts education!" for my resume than anything else. I doubt I'll ever use my degree directly in my work, and I'm really not interested in doing so. Reading and writing is just what interested me most at the time, though if I could go back, I would've shoved myself into the Computer Science program.
    Mom didn't care what I studied. I just had to go to college and get a degree to have the piece of paper for just that- I am trainable and dedicated. I studied horses and learned that I'd never make it in that field so I had to get a "real job." I hate my real job and I'm now interested in the whole Tim Ferriss idea of getting into things that you don't have any "qualifications" for- but you'd be good at anyway. I'm not qualified for much of anything- certainly nothing that interests me- but I'm discovering that there are quite a few things that I'm good at anyway.

    I don't know that it would work for you NaiadKnight- I expect engineering is pretty picky about real qualifications- but maybe it might help someone else to think about?
    http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

    Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

    And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •