Page 34 of 696 FirstFirst ... 2432333435364484134534 ... LastLast

Thread: Gripe of the Day page 34

kenn is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by geostump View Post
    So that would explain why mom was picked...
    can't have juries have their own opinions ya know
    Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
    Starting Weight: 294 pounds
    Current Weight: 235 pounds
    Goal Weight: 195 pounds

geostump is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kenn View Post
    can't have juries have their own opinions ya know
    Very true. Last time I went through the interview process, I told them my dad was an ex-cop, my BIL is a paramedic, my sister is a 911 supervisor and that I work in the insurance industry(at the time, brokerage but not a lot of difference). I was immediately sent home.
    Georgette

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    The only time I ever made it past the summons, the defending atty took one look at the people that had been selected into the jury pool and decided to go with a settlement.
    I later found out that it was a church v. church thing and the majority of the pool would likely have been either a different religion or nonreligious (based on last name and professions). Probably didn't hurt that I was reading "The Atheist's Bible."
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Quote Originally Posted by naiadknight View Post
    The only time I ever made it past the summons, the defending atty took one look at the people that had been selected into the jury pool and decided to go with a settlement.
    I later found out that it was a church v. church thing and the majority of the pool would likely have been either a different religion or nonreligious (based on last name and professions). Probably didn't hurt that I was reading "The Atheist's Bible."
    Did you take the book with you?
    Georgette

Quote Originally Posted by geostump View Post
    Did you take the book with you?
    Yes. I was tempted to wear my VFFs but decided against it.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

canio6 is offline Senior Member
    I've wondered if you would get arrested for showing up with a noose and asking "Do I need to listen to your fancy lawyer talk before we hang 'im?"
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    I've wondered if you would get arrested for showing up with a noose and asking "Do I need to listen to your fancy lawyer talk before we hang 'im?"
    That would be fun!
    Georgette

Especially in TX, since I THINK hanging is legal on the books as a death penalty.
    My Primal Battle Tome

Quote Originally Posted by naiadknight View Post
    Especially in TX, since I THINK hanging is legal on the books as a death penalty.
    I believe it is as well.
    Georgette

Actually, there's a story of a judge down near the Rio Grande way back when. Judge Roy Bean held his court in a local saloon, as he owned it. He was usually sloshed by the time the trial started and the jury was whoever he could corral inside the saloon, as well as whatever townfolk he could get his hands on. Thy were usually 3 sheets to the wind by the time trial was over. He was known as a hanging judge, which is funny, because he only sentenced 2 people to hanging, and one escaped.
    My Primal Battle Tome