Page 166 of 696 FirstFirst ... 66116156164165166167168176216266666 ... LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,660 of 6960

Thread: Gripe of the Day page 166

spughy is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    GotD: I guess I don't have any. I'm almost 900 pages into A Dance with Dragons. Life is good.
    So, are ya finished yet??? Hell of a way to leave off with Jon Snow - next book isn't due out for another couple years. Martin better not do a Jordan.

My GOTD: you know how when you're eating a BAS, you save a "last mouthful" that has a bit of all the most delicious stuff? (Well, ok, maybe that's just me.) Anyway, I had a really nice one going for lunch with nice greens, raspberries and chevre - and the raspberry in my last bite was moldy. Yuck.

canio6 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spughy View Post
    So, are ya finished yet??? Martin better not do a Jordan.
    Yup, finished it a while back. My wife finished it yesterday. We've been talking about it non-stop lol. I keep talking about the Jordan factor and my wife tells me I am worrying too much, but Martin isn't exactly young and in good shape.
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

CoS
    CoS is offline Senior Member
    My gripe of the day: I put David Lynch's Dune on my family's Netflix a month or so ago, hoping that I would have the book read by the time it eventually got here. Guess what came in the mail today? And guess who is only 1/3 of the way through the book?

/whitewhine

karatepig is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaisyEater View Post
    Why would you waste your time soliciting someone who is flat out telling you by the sign on the door that they are not receptive?

You have a right to make a living but I have a right to tell you to leave me alone. The other advertisements are irrelevant, but even so they are easier to turn off or ignore than someone who interrupts my day by ringing my doorbell. And this despite the fact that I have attempted to save both their time and mine by letting them know up front that I do not allow solicitors on my property. If I say "No Soliciting" that means I am not going to buy from you. There is not going to be any convincing me since you started out disrespecting my home.

Oh, and one of my pet peeves: Solicitors who have the gall to actually start peering in my windows when I don't answer.
    Yea, and do you realize how many times my family has narrowly avoided losing power, water, or even their home, because I spoke to a person with such a sign on their door? If it weren't for "solicitors" our society would be quite different. I am not disrespecting your home. If you don't know who I am, how do you know you don't want to talk to me? Many people are outright happy when they open their door, because they need my services.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by karatepig View Post
    Yea, and do you realize how many times my family has narrowly avoided losing power, water, or even their home, because I spoke to a person with such a sign on their door? If it weren't for "solicitors" our society would be quite different. I am not disrespecting your home. If you don't know who I am, how do you know you don't want to talk to me? Many people are outright happy when they open their door, because they need my services.
    No offense, but I work for the power company. Here at least, we'll turn off the power anyway. We'll just wait a few minutes until you leave and there's less threat of a violent confrontation.

And you're disrespecting someone's home when they say you're not welcome there but you knock or ring the doorbell anyway. It's saying you know what I want better than I do. You don't.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

geostump is offline Senior Member
    GotD: It's "Employee Appreciation Day" at the office today so guess what the vittles are. Hot dogs, popcorn and cotton candy. The best part is that I work for a mail order diabetes supply company. Even my own husband who still east SAD said, "that sounds like it should be 'employees, we'd appreciate it if you die day'". Needless to say, I will be munching on my BAS and some salmon later.
    Georgette

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    THEY CANCELLED MY MOVIE!!!!! There was a Hollywood deal for Ron Howard to direct a trilogy based of the Dark Tower series and they fucking cancelled it!!
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

canio6 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post
    No offense, but I work for the power company. Here at least, we'll turn off the power anyway. We'll just wait a few minutes until you leave and there's less threat of a violent confrontation..
    I believe he is saying that by ignoring the 'no soliciting' sign he has talked to a homeowner who has then become a customer. This results in income and his ability to pay bills thus preventing his power being turned off.
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

AmyMac703 is offline Senior Member
    GotD: Mass Effect 3 delayed until March 2012... I'm gonna have to get Fallout: New Vegas or something to keep me occupied this winter
    Subduction leads to orogeny

My blog that I don't update as often as I should: http://primalclimber.blogspot.com/

CoyoteVick is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by karatepig View Post
    Hey, that's a chance you're taking... but I'm downright happy when I get to open the door and yell at people. So, you know, people shouldn't be upset when I yell at them, I've already warned them they are not welcome...

My beginning point was that you were upset when people didn't open the door for you. My original point was that it's very understandable since door to door salespeople are a common front for home invaders. That is still true, so whether I get pleasure in yelling at people or not, I understand why someone wouldn't want to expose themselves to the risk.