Page 161 of 696 FirstFirst ... 61111151159160161162163171211261661 ... LastLast
Results 1,601 to 1,610 of 6960

Thread: Gripe of the Day page 161

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by karatepig View Post
    I am sick and tired of people being afraid to answer the door. I often go door-to-door helping my father promote his carpet cleaning business, and it drives me nuts whenever people peeek out from behind their curtains, nervously say they don't answer the door for strangers, or lock their door, then pretend they are not home (as if I didn't hear the deadbolt slide). And it is never the kids! They just open the door, then get their parents. Noooo, it is the FULLY GROWN ADULTS, including six foot tall MEN who seem scared shitless. Who do they think they are, some important person that might be kidnapped and held for ransom? And how many crazed murderers waltz into a residential neighborhood, guns-a-blazing, in the middle of the freaking day, with a stack of several hundred fliers bearing their name and telephone number on them!?
    They do that to me too, but in my case it's because they see the truck and think I'm going to cut their power!
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Barbaric is offline Junior Member
    My gripe is about random visitors that can't read the sign on my door that reads, "BY RINGING THE DOORBELL, YOU AGREE TO RELEASE FROM ALL LIABILITY THE OWNERS OF THIS HOUSE, HEIRS, NEXT OF KIN AND ANY LARGE PETS INCLUDING THE VICIOUS AKITA BARKING AT YOU THROUGH THE WINDOW, FOR ANY AND ALL LOSS OR DAMAGE, AND ANY CLAIM OR DEMANDS THEREFOR ON ACCOUNT OF INJURY TO THE PERSON OR PROPERTY OR RESULTING IN DEATH OF THE DOORBELL RINGER ARISING OUT OF OR RELATED TO THE EVENT, WHETHER CAUSED BY THE NEGLIGENCE OF THE RELEASEES OR THE DOG AND AGREE TO INDEMNIFY AND SAVE AND HOLD HARMLESS THE RELEASEES AND EACH OF THEM FROM ANY LOSS, LIABILITY, DAMAGE, OR COST THEY MAY INCUR ARISING OUT OF OR RELATED TO THE DOOR BELL RINGERS INJURY OR DEATH, WHETHER CAUSED BY THE NEGLIGENCE OF THE RELEASEES OR THE DOG."

CoyoteVick is offline Senior Member
    I am sick and tired of people being afraid to answer the door. I often go door-to-door helping my father promote his carpet cleaning business, and it drives me nuts whenever people peeek out from behind their curtains, nervously say they don't answer the door for strangers, or lock their door, then pretend they are not home (as if I didn't hear the deadbolt slide). And it is never the kids! They just open the door, then get their parents. Noooo, it is the FULLY GROWN ADULTS, including six foot tall MEN who seem scared shitless. Who do they think they are, some important person that might be kidnapped and held for ransom? And how many crazed murderers waltz into a residential neighborhood, guns-a-blazing, in the middle of the freaking day, with a stack of several hundred fliers bearing their name and telephone number on them!?
    They do that around here, but it's because home invaders use door to door salespeople as a ruse to "scope" houses they want to brutally invade and rob while holding the residents at gunpoint.

Only takes that happening three or four times and people get REALLY nervous about people at their doors...

For my purposes, I love being able to yell at people who can't seem to understand the "no soliciting" sign. It makes my day.

karatepig is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteVick View Post

For my purposes, I love being able to yell at people who can't seem to understand the "no soliciting" sign. It makes my day.
    And I love telling people that I have a right to make a living anyway, that they are "solicited" to continuously via telvision, billboards, radio advertisements, etc, and that they are essentially controlled by those solicitations, whether they think they are or not.

CoyoteVick is offline Senior Member
    And I love telling people that I have a right to make a living anyway, that they are "solicited" to continuously via telvision, billboards, radio advertisements, etc, and that they are essentially controlled by those solicitations, whether they think they are or not.
    And I love to be able to threaten trespassers with physical violence until they leave my property. And have the police back me up.

canio6 Guest
    Personally I love saving money on carpet cleaning...

My favorite solicitors are the religious types. If you want to see someone look totally confused tell a Jehovah's Witness that not only would you like their literature but do they have time to come in and talk. Actually, could you have their home number so you can call them with any questions? Look very excited, perhaps even manic and they will run and never return. It has worked for me in three different cities. For Mormons I like to ask who they are "Elder" than. "So, Elder Jones, you are what 18? Who exactly are you Elder than?"

GotD: I guess I don't have any. I'm almost 900 pages into A Dance with Dragons. Life is good.

kenn is offline Senior Member
    They do that around here, but it's because home invaders use door to door salespeople as a ruse to "scope" houses they want to brutally invade and rob while holding the residents at gunpoint.

Only takes that happening three or four times and people get REALLY nervous about people at their doors...

that's why I live in the rural county away from Dayton...
    Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
    Starting Weight: 294 pounds
    Current Weight: 235 pounds
    Goal Weight: 195 pounds

Nion is offline Senior Member
    Some people have good reasons not to want to answer the door. For one, it's their property. They can tell you to fuck off. People have a reasonable expectation of privacy in their place of residence. There's a magnitude of reasons why.
    Personally, i don't like answering the door to strangers because i have anxiety problems due to several traumatic experiences with strangers.
    By inflicting yourself on people by ignoring such notices, you could be triggering anxiety attacks or worse.
    People may have young children sleeping.
    The elderly may fear being defenseless.
    People may be sickly or disabled and answering the door unexpectedly poses issues for them.
    Some people just DON'T WANT TO FUCKING TALK TO YOU.
    I'm a paleo foodie, come check out my recipes: http://strangekitty.ca/

geostump is online now Senior Member
    I own a gun, a rifle and an Australian Shepherd who will attack if commanded to and won't allow strangers into my home. I also was almost robbed 6 months after we moved into our home because of door-to-door salesmen in the neighborhood. I better know you're coming to my home and if I am not expecting someone you better have a damn good reason to be on my property. Sales is not one of them. TV, billboards and radio advertisements is a weak argument.
    Georgette

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Why would you waste your time soliciting someone who is flat out telling you by the sign on the door that they are not receptive?

You have a right to make a living but I have a right to tell you to leave me alone. The other advertisements are irrelevant, but even so they are easier to turn off or ignore than someone who interrupts my day by ringing my doorbell. And this despite the fact that I have attempted to save both their time and mine by letting them know up front that I do not allow solicitors on my property. If I say "No Soliciting" that means I am not going to buy from you. There is not going to be any convincing me since you started out disrespecting my home.

Oh, and one of my pet peeves: Solicitors who have the gall to actually start peering in my windows when I don't answer.
    Last edited by DaisyEater; 07-18-2011 at 03:26 PM.