Page 154 of 696 FirstFirst ... 54104144152153154155156164204254654 ... LastLast
Results 1,531 to 1,540 of 6960

Thread: Gripe of the Day page 154

gunnk is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    spughy: There's actually ANOTHER process that is used as well: mutation breeding. Transgenic Crops: An Introduction and Resource Guide

Basically, you induce random mutations in seeds by treating the parent plant with either radiation or mutagenic chemicals. This may create a beneficial mutation, but you don't know what other changes you've introduced simultaneously. Mutation breeding started in the 20's and really took off around WW2. A huge number of our "non-GMO" crops *are* actually GMO.

I don't know which is more dangerous: introducing foreign targeted genes into plants or creating unpredictable mutations in them. I wish both kinds were clearly labeled for consumers to decide for themselves what they want to consume.
    Life is short: Void the warranty.

Digby is offline Senior Member
    GOTD: damned squirrels ruined my copper birdfeeder.
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

My gripe: Don't talk dirty to me and then act like you just want to be friends when I call you on it.
    7/4/11: 42-38-43
    8/3/11: 41-37-42
    11/27/11: 41-36-41
    Goal: 38-32-36

geekgrrl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by quelsen View Post
    if by spawn of satan you mean humans.... We made wheat it has always been a genetically modified food.
    lolz well yeah I'm an atheist so it was just a whimsy.... but loving the ironic twist in the metaphor...

Agreed on the GM comment - well hey, breeding, modification, whatever the net result is the same. Well, or not... I read a bit about glutamine being used in plants to promote resistance... scary, scary, stuff.... cos like I want to eat a vegetable that contains the most damaging allergenic protein found in wheat germ......
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat? Tom Snyder

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spughy View Post
    While the question of whether satan is human is an interesting theological discussion, confusing selective breeding with genetic modification is highly detrimental to arguments against actual genetic modification. Selective breeding is the process of nudging evolution towards a human-friendly goal by means of controlling either breeding or survival of offspring or both. It's just like natural selection, except instead of nature and chance sorting out who gets to breed more, we decide, and we ensure that the breeding actually happens. This is how all of our currently farmed subspecies have been developed, from tomatoes to rice to wheat to sheep to dogs to chickens to carrots.

Genetic modification is the process of taking genes - segments of DNA - from the nuclei of the cells of one species and inserting them into the nuclei of cells of another. It's a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT PROCESS and it has absolutely NOTHING in common with evolution or natural selection (unless you're a bacterium and you're all promiscuous with your DNA). More complex organisms don't do that, don't want to do that, and shouldn't do that.
    MY point was that we humans always frak with stuff for gain. we did it in the past when science was not ther to help us and we still do it today. it is the nature of the beast and most of the time humans are beastly.
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

spughy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by quelsen View Post
    MY point was that we humans always frak with stuff for gain. we did it in the past when science was not ther to help us and we still do it today. it is the nature of the beast and most of the time humans are beastly.
    But if it's in our nature, then isn't that being true to our species blueprint, and therefore Primal? ;-)

I'm only kind of joking, and playing devil's advocate here - one of the things that characterizes humans as a species is our ability to alter our environment (including our food environment) to suit our needs. I really don't think that shunning all human-altered food is necessary. You'd be living on seafood and wild greens - and not even many of those, as we've transplanted many from their original habitats. I don't think it's frakking with nature - other species manipulate nature, just not to the extent that we do. We evolved in all our tool-making, environment-changing, bad-mix-of-smart-and-stupid glory from a *natural* process - it just remains to be seen if nature will survive the experience.

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    Had a 5 day weekend - Spent the weekend gardening, purging some junk, attending a minor league ball game and of course watching fireworks. Yesterday was my 56th birthday. DH and I spent the day at Rehoboth Beach. On the beach in the morning and lunch at Dogfish Head brewpub (had a glass of their Festina Peche - a really refreshing Berliner Weisse beer (to me anyway DH doesn't like it) made with peaches. Watched a whopper of a thunderstorm that kept us from exploring the boardwalk in the afternoon, but it was fun watching the lightning flashing down to the ocean from a safe doorway. Spent the evening with my son and grandson at a pool. Was my least primal weekend since I started in January, but not feeling any ill effects.

My GotD: I'm back at work in the freezing cold air conditioning waah. I want to retire, but can't afford too.

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spughy View Post
    I don't think it's frakking with nature - other species manipulate nature, just not to the extent that we do. We evolved in all our tool-making, environment-changing, bad-mix-of-smart-and-stupid glory from a *natural* process - it just remains to be seen if nature will survive the experience.
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Chasintrail is offline Senior Member
    Bwhhhhhaaaaaa! That's awesome!

Wonder if I could get away with hanging it in my veal pen?

Dellastreet is offline Member
    Both a gripe and an 'a ha' moment. I still have manufactured veggie foods in the freezer and thought I'd use up the 'ground beef' crumbles by making tacos (with a taco salad on lettuce for me). I've made this many times, always enjoyed it. But last night it tasted so salty and fake to me that I couldn't finish it and had to throw it away. Maybe my tastes have changed now that I am eating meat.

OK, so having to throw away my dinner is my gripe. My 'a ha' moment came when I realized that eating real ground beef tasted so much better and was probably a lot better for me than the fake stuff I'd been buying (which ain't cheap), that I shouldn't feel guilty about eating it.