Thread: Gripe of the Day page 130

kenn is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
    Starting Weight: 294 pounds
    Current Weight: 235 pounds
    Goal Weight: 195 pounds

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    Unfortunately, neither one applies. I'd already read the first one. We're having 8 yards delivered for retaining walls, walkways and footings for the garage, so we won't be mixing it ourselves. The first link comes close, as it talks about the color being worn off of the aggregate, in this case the concrete itself, through wear. We're going to add limestone gravel and wash the surface concrete off to expose it, but I'm trying to figure out whether the color will also change the color of the gravel.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackcatbone View Post
    Unfortunately, neither one applies. I'd already read the first one. We're having 8 yards delivered for retaining walls, walkways and footings for the garage, so we won't be mixing it ourselves. The first link comes close, as it talks about the color being worn off of the aggregate, in this case the concrete itself, through wear. We're going to add limestone gravel and wash the surface concrete off to expose it, but I'm trying to figure out whether the color will also change the color of the gravel.
    try googling cement coloring (what you're really talking about) changing gravel color in concrete

afaik without certainty is that gravel doesn't get the look of the colored cement, but again I can't say with certainty

maybe this will help?
    http://www.southernstainandseal.com/Exterior.html
    Last edited by kenn; 06-08-2011 at 06:55 PM.

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    I can't give a definite answer... In my experience making sculpture with colored cement, the amount of color the aggregate picks up depends on how porous the aggregate is. Limestone is pretty porous but I think as soon as it gets a little polished or worn down it will look lighter.

P.s. Google tells me it doesn't pick up the color. http://www.highconcrete.com/products...ex.cfm?start=4
    Last edited by Jenny; 06-08-2011 at 08:23 PM.
    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, I'm having a hard time figuring out the exact phrase or wording that will bring up the answer. I've found some vague answers but nothing concrete. Heh. I talked to the sales rep at the cement company but they couldn't say for certain. Most of what the company does is very basic. I wouldn't mind the stone picking up some of the color, but we're looking for a bit of contrast.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackcatbone View Post
    Yeah, I'm having a hard time figuring out the exact phrase or wording that will bring up the answer. I've found some vague answers but nothing concrete. Heh. I talked to the sales rep at the cement company but they couldn't say for certain. Most of what the company does is very basic. I wouldn't mind the stone picking up some of the color, but we're looking for a bit of contrast.
    Get a second and third opinion

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    The CIty of San Diego in its infinite wisdom is putting in curb cuts on an intersection just down the street from me for wheelchairs. Never mind that the street on either side of the intersection is way too steep for anyone in a wheelchair to manage without toppling over. Anyway handicapped access is a good thing. Fine.

But do they absolutely have to fire up the effing jackhammers at 7am?
    They've been doing this in our area for the past 3 years. Nevermind that some of the sidewalks they're connected to just stop in the middle of nowhere.

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by geostump View Post
    I'm German/entire British Isles with a hint of American Indian. I don't tan. I need your genes dammit!
    That's funny, I'm mostly German with some British Isles thrown in and I get really dark.

canio6 Guest
    People. Well, to be fair stupid, inconsiderate people who should be beaten half to death...twice.

So like an idiot I decide to go down and work the gate today. So here I am standing there at 430 am when person rolls on up in their car talking (illegally) on their cell phone. I say 'Good morning' twice and wait. Finally she says to the person on the phone, "Hold on," and hands me her ID. I look at it and hand it back. She says, "Good morning." I look at her. She says, "You know I said good morning, it is polite to respond."

Orly?

I swear, if they would let us go Rodney King on just one person a week, just one....

geostump is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    People. Well, to be fair stupid, inconsiderate people who should be beaten half to death...twice.

So like an idiot I decide to go down and work the gate today. So here I am standing there at 430 am when person rolls on up in their car talking (illegally) on their cell phone. I say 'Good morning' twice and wait. Finally she says to the person on the phone, "Hold on," and hands me her ID. I look at it and hand it back. She says, "Good morning." I look at her. She says, "You know I said good morning, it is polite to respond."

Orly?

I swear, if they would let us go Rodney King on just one person a week, just one....
    Love it! The Rodney King aspect that is.
    Georgette