Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Workouts: Morning vs Evening page

NC Rob is offline Junior Member

Workouts: Morning vs Evening

Primal Fuel
    Hi, I'm currently working out primarily in the evenings but have researched some interesting/convincing reasons to work out in the mornings instead (i.e. improved mental acuity throughout rest of day, increased energy, increased caloric burn, etc.).
    Just curious what your thoughts are on this. I can't seem to find a posting made by Mark on it - so if you can locate, please provide link.
    thanks,
    Rob

ErinC is offline Senior Member
    Do you have a dayjob?

They say that early mornig workouts on an empty stomach are the bee's knees for fat metabolism but for me, working out in the mornings would require setting an alarm to wake up around 5am so I could still get to work on time. That doesn't sound like fun, and life's too short to be a slave to your workout schedule - plus it's contraindicated with regards to the Paleo prescription for good, long sleeps with a natural wake-up. I work out in the evenings (not on an empty stomach) because I find it to be an infintely more enjoyable schedule. 5am is a terrible time to be anywhere except snuggled up in bed, if you ask me.

croí is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ErinC View Post
    Do you have a dayjob?

They say that early mornig workouts on an empty stomach are the bee's knees for fat metabolism but for me, working out in the mornings would require setting an alarm to wake up around 5am so I could still get to work on time. That doesn't sound like fun, and life's too short to be a slave to your workout schedule - plus it's contraindicated with regards to the Paleo prescription for good, long sleeps with a natural wake-up. I work out in the evenings (not on an empty stomach) because I find it to be an infintely more enjoyable schedule. 5am is a terrible time to be anywhere except snuggled up in bed, if you ask me.
    I 2nd this! I would have to be up around 5 AM as well, in order to workout for just 1/2 hour. I'm already trying to self motivate myself to get up in the mornings, and that's with 8-9 hours of sleep every night. There's no way I could get up any earlier. I work out at night after dinner, and after my son is in bed (8ish). I know some say don't exercise right before you lay down for bed. But exercising while my son is up, takes away from the little time I have with him every night. So, for right now, this will have to do.

geostump is offline Senior Member
    I workout in the mornings and I get up between 530 AM-6AM to do this. I am not much of a night person and if I do exercise at night, I don't sleep.
    Georgette

Sean81 is offline Junior Member
    My alarm is set for 4 AM. I work out and still get to work early enough to have plenty of quality time with my family in the evenings.

I do experience the improved mental acuity throughout rest of day, and increased energy mentioned. Additionally, it's way easier for me to make smart food choices throughout the day.

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    I'd workout at the time that best fits your schedule.

NC Rob is offline Junior Member
    Hi, do you work out on an empty stomach? I've heard that is advantageous as well.
    I'm fortunate in that I can enjoy a little flexibility in coming to work in the am - as long as I'm here by 9am, so I'm looking at doing my crossfit class at 6:30 am then still having time to set in the sauna then shower. It's going to take some getting used to though I'm sure. . .

geostump is offline Senior Member
    I always have worked out on an empty stomach.
    Georgette

AnneArchy is offline Senior Member
    I recently made the switch from evenings to mornings and it's tough but I like it more. Even though I feel more tired throughout the day when I get home it's one less thing to do and I can get to cooking dinner right away. I workout at home fasted with just a shot of espresso and recently added in BCAA's. My hours are 10-7 so I 'm usually working out at 7 am-ish. When I worked out in the evenings sometimes I would finish dinner at 10pm which I didn't like either.

ErinC is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    If you can make it work and you don't find it sucks too much, then sure, why not go for the early morning empty-stomach workout.

I taught 6am fitness classes 5 days a week for nearly 3 years and in that time my body NEVER adapted to the early wake-ups/early workouts. I'd be napping at my desk by 11am and in bed by 8. I really hated it. But, everyone's different and the old rule is: do whatever workout you enjoy, whenever it works best for you. The second it becomes a chore or a drag, you're in trouble. My opinion. *smile*

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast