Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squats without a squat rack page

milkycereal is offline Senior Member

Squats without a squat rack

Shop Now
    I just have a standered bench/barbell set. I've been doing squats by lifting the bar over my head and then back down on my shoulders....its a risky manuever and it gets even riskier when I have to put the bar back and lift it over my head again. My legs are far more powerful than my arms so i feel like i'm not squatting to the best of my abilities....

I'm thinking maybe I should pick a wieght I can SAFELY lift over my head, and use that in addition to a backpack full of weights which i'll adjust accordingly...what do yo guys think?

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    you'll never reach your maximum potential on squats if you have to lift the bar over your head. you could probably work with a heavier weight by learning to power clean and doing a front squat, but even that doesn't seem like a good idea.

look up some directions on how to build an at-home squat rack. i know you can build one with 2x4s...though it won't be as good as one in a gym, it'll serve its purpose.

PMAC is offline Member
    What are your goals? I suggest doing unilateral squats (Bulgarian split squats, assisted or unassisted pistols, split squats etc.) with db, kettle bells and or a weight vest. I use a 40lbs. weight vest and heavy db and it works wonders. I do not aspire to be a power lifter so it works for me. After doing plenty of bilateral squats years ago, I much prefer unilateral as my balance, my core and my lower legs get a much better work out- plus I don't have to worry about the excess load on my spine. Trust me unless you are attempting to be a powerful squatter, 150 pound Bulgarian split squat is a great lower body / core work out.

Primal Fist is offline Senior Member
    I got up to 50kg using the 'hoik it over your head' method. Then I moved on to the 'erect dodgy constructions to act as squat stands' stage, and nearly got my head ripped off.

Bottom line: You need squat stands. They are crucial.
    These are mine. Not too hard to save up for.

Monty is offline Senior Member
    You can make your own: http://www.rosstraining.com/forum/vi...=1056#section8. Look under strength training equipment for squat racks.

nachobrawler is offline Senior Member
    In the interim you can do dumbell lunges (until you get sqaut racks). All you need are some dumbbells. Yes, this is as simple as it sounds. Hold two dumbells in each hand by your side and walk. But when I say walk...you are exaggerating your stride by taking deep, lunge, steps forward. First one leg and then the other. Make sure exaggerate your movement such that the knee of the leg that you are supporting your weight with nearly touches the ground on each step. Go slow and deep. Pick the right weight and do enough reps....and i PROMISE you will be huffing and puffing after each set. And best of all, its a GREAT leg workout. You are hitting multiple muscles with the same movement. Best of all....you are only limited by how much dumbbell weight you can carry (or for how long). Typically, this is easier than squatting for most people. I alternate dumbbell lunges with squats personally for some of my leg workouts (you know, change it up constantly!).

Good luck...
    If you can just get your....mind together....then come on across to me.....
    James Marshall (Jimi)Hendrix

milkycereal is offline Senior Member
    Word, I have the money already for a cheap squat rack it seems....if I survive todays squat-sets i'll buy one this weekend. Thanks guys (and I'm lifting for strength, not so much size. I alternate between a week of weightlifting and a week of bodyweight/punchingbag/endurance stuff)

gordo is offline Senior Member
    I found a power rack, accessories, and a set of olympic weights on Craigslist. $350. The alternative was to build a wood rack, but it wouldn't have saved me much money and I can always sell this one and get my money back out of it.

Gordo

ScurvyDog is offline Member
    Just do deadlifts instead! make a 3 inch block to stand on when deadlifting so your squat is a little deeper.

slowcooker is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    You could also just keep the weight in front and do front squats. Likely a little safer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast