Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How accurate is the carb curve? Is it different for everybody? page

Goldensparrow is offline Senior Member

How accurate is the carb curve? Is it different for everybody?

So this weekend I had a bit of a lapse in Primal eating because I was sick. I didn't touch grains mind you, but when I get sick, I crave sugar so badly. I'd say I ate about 100g of carbs a day for the past three days, and I put on 2 lbs. Does this mean I have a much lower tolerance for carbs than others? Because according to Mark's curve, I should be "maintaining". Granted maybe it's because I didn't move much this weekend....sick on the couch watching tv and such, but would that make such a difference? Thoughts? Thanks!

milkycereal is offline Banned
    yeah it might be a little lower for you, but like you said you weren't moving much so i'd think that'd make a huge difference

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    the carb curve may be a little bit different for everyone...but people are mostly all the same. i haven't looked it up, but have read from a few people who have, that 95% of the human population is the same.

water binds to carbs, so i'm guessing your 2 pounds is a result of water retention. you would have to eat like absolute crap to see 2 pounds of fat gain over a weekend...if that's even possible

milkycereal is offline Banned
    oh yea thats true too....a pound of fat = 3,500 cals and i think thats in addition to the calories your body needs to function just sitting there...but still I know I could do it. Maybe not primally but I could go into my kitchen right now and gain 5 pounds if i wanted to. Don't test me mang..

Quote Originally Posted by milkycereal View Post
    Maybe not primally but I could go into my kitchen right now and gain 5 pounds if i wanted to. Don't test me mang..
    pretty sure i did that at christmas dinner...all three of them

Goldensparrow is offline Senior Member
    Well here was the menu. I'd be curious to know your thoughts:

I ate eggs and bacon for breakfast Fri., Sat., Sun. days. Friday I had a salad with chicken, carrots, celery, little parmesan, and walnuts topped with olive oil. Friday night I had salmon with a tomato butter sauce and veggies. Both Sat. and Sun. I ate a grass-fed burger with some pimento cheese/mushrooms/bacon on top and a small side of asparagus or zucchini. The kicker is what I had Fri., Sat., Sun. night....besides my usual two pieces of 85% dark chocolate I had a medium Marble Slab frozen yogurt with berries. And based off of the nutrition info on some sites....it's looking like 60g of carbs. But if water binds to carbs then that would also explain why I feel like a bloated blimp this morning lol. And last night even though I wasn't planning on having dinner (the yogurt was supposed to be my dinner) I ate a coconut pancake and even more berries on top after the abomination of yogurt. I am ashamed.

your diet looks great. don't fret. a frozen yogurt with berries is a pretty sensible indulgence...much better than you could have chosen.

Eklecktika is offline Senior Member
    It's water. Don't worry.

If you normally (scratch that-If I normally) eat VLC, and then suddenly, say double your carb intake, you'll have (as I understand it) an increase in glycogen. Everyone is different, but I +1 w/ everyone that says no way no how did you gain 2 lbs of fat in a weekend.

I bumped up 3.5 pounds since Saturday-but I also went to a Brewfest over the weekend and sampled some pretty awesome (and some pretty friggin disgusting!) brews, along with fried halibut and (gasp!) pasta. I haven't had bonafide pasta in over a year, so I'm not losing sleep over it.

Go back to your normal WOE and it'll dissipate. If you're really stressing about it, grab yourself some asparagus, and exercise a bit more. That usually is enough to tighten me back up (lol...relatively, anyway!).

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    It probably is water! Sugar does that to me.

FWIW, I need to get below 30g carbs to lose weight--30g-70g to maintain.

primaltreehgr is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    your diet looks fantastic. . . like primalrob says frozen yogurt is a very sensible indulgence! once you feel better get back to working out and do not weigh yourself for a week or so.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast