Thread: Who takes a fiber supplement? page

RezH is offline Senior Member

Who takes a fiber supplement?

Shop Now
    Just wondering, as I've been having some issues the last couple weeks, so I broke down and bought some Metamucil inulin fiber. I chose that over the psyllium because it dissolves easily in coffee and smoothies.

My diet, about 2800 calories daily for a 165 lb male, only provides about 20g of fiber, mostly from nuts and vegetables. I'm hoping that 1-2 servings daily (5g each) of the supplement will help. I do know that fiber supplements are not cheap.

O_O
    O_O is offline Senior Member
    I use psyllium seed husks. Cheaper and nothing added. My fiber intake is 35-45g daily. I also bake with flax meal but not daily.

Hilary is online now Senior Member
    Ground flax seeds - likewise, cheaper and you know what you're getting. (Wouldn't recommend cooking them, though, not with all those polyunsaturates. Grind and eat pronto for minimum damage to the oils.) That said, I haven't actually been near them for weeks, and it hasn't done me any harm.

O_O
    O_O is offline Senior Member
    Ground flax makes a great bread.

emmie is online now Senior Member
    I was taking psyllium powder (mixed in foods), but I tried to get off it with a good probiotic and adding more fresh, green vegetables. So far, that hasn't helped much.

I see my GI doctor next week, and I want to ask him whether I should go back to the psyllium or take something like MIralax.

I've had chronic constipation all my life.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    I don't use anything and eat under 20 g net carbs a day. I drink sufficient water. No problems. Fiber is overrated and some types actually irritate your gut lining.

Read this: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/fiber/

skink531 is offline Senior Member
    No fiber other than the vegetables I eat. That plus the fat in my diet seems to keep things running smoothly, if you know what I mean.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member

PrimalWannabeGirl is offline Senior Member
    I take a medication that is constipating, and it is a non-problem as long as I take two magnesium tablets at bedtime. None of the bloating issues with fiber.

Pea