Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Low Carb, Losing Fat & Calories-- Dr. Michael Eades explains... page

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member

Low Carb, Losing Fat & Calories-- Dr. Michael Eades explains...

Primal Fuel
    Clearest explanation I have seen for the mechanism of low carb fat loss:
    http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/w...nd-calories-2/

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    that was really good to read. it's easy to forget that too much dietary fat will keep your body from using body fat for energy. thanks for posting that.

I think his point was that too many calories will keep your body from using stored body fat for energy (though he uses fat/fatty foods as an example, since he is talking low carb.)

eelnus is offline Senior Member
    Great post. I suspected as much. My only problem is knowing for sure how many calories I actually need. But I definitely feel more satisfied on less calories eating PB.

Mac
    Mac is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    I think his point was that too many calories will keep your body from using stored body fat for energy (though he uses fat/fatty foods as an example, since he is talking low carb.)
    From my experience, this is bang on. If you have more energy than your body needs how can you ever dip into stored fat and begin to reduce it? I agree you can generally eat more food when on a low carb diet, but so many people insist that calories don't matter and I believe that is wrong - at least from my experience. I still have to give my body a reason to use stored energy. Low carb just makes it extremely easy to use body fat - a caloric deficit is still required in order for the body to reduce stored fat levels.

Herbwifemama is offline Senior Member
    I understand, but I think using the term "hedonistic" puts a level of judgment that's unnecessary. Food is pleasurable, nothing wrong with that. We aren't Puritans anymore.

I didn't think he was judging, just explaining a different form of "hunger".

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac View Post
    From my experience, this is bang on. If you have more energy than your body needs how can you ever dip into stored fat and begin to reduce it? I agree you can generally eat more food when on a low carb diet, but so many people insist that calories don't matter and I believe that is wrong - at least from my experience. I still have to give my body a reason to use stored energy. Low carb just makes it extremely easy to use body fat - a caloric deficit is still required in order for the body to reduce stored fat levels.
    the benefit of something like the PB is that you can sate yourself while eating low carb and keep your calories down because you're not as hungry. i eat less if i'm eating low carb and obeying my hunger. but, i think calories do matter too, but for me--and others--they don't really matter enough to worry about them. i just know that if i wanted to speed up my body fat loss a little bit, i can reduce my dietary fat (at 9 calories per gram).

aboutsaffron is offline Senior Member
    love this, & actually confirms some things I was noticing about my own diet. i've been stuck for awhile, & since i still have a significant amount of weight to lose, i thought maybe i should track my calories more than i had been by following a more structured eating plan. i've done this the last couple of weeks, & BOOM! - i seem to be back to losing.

thanks for posting this! definitely going to be bookmarked for sure.
    And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the wind longs to play with your hair
    Kahlil Gibran

http://simplesunshine.wordpress.com

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    The low-carb diet is a wonderful, healthful way to lose weight quickly, but you do have to watch your calories as well to a certain extent. If you’re plugging along losing away, keep doing what you’re doing. But if you quit losing, take a look at your cheese and/or nut consumption. Cut those out, and I’ll just about guarantee that your weight loss will pick up again.
    Looking at the uncooperative scale: There go those bacon cheese almond flour breakfast scones!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast