Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Saturated fats page

Kenh is offline Junior Member

Saturated fats

About 8 years ago I tried the Atkins Diet. My Cholesterol went to over 400 and I had a heart attack which resulted in having a stint put in my heart. Since the Atkins Diet allowed no trans fats, hydrogenated fats or carbs (thus the insulin was under control), I do not understand how the fat intake of the Primal Diet will be any different as it allows for saturated fats. Thus I fear the same results if I follow the Primal Diet. Can anyone educate me on this?
    Thanks,
    Ken

NutMeg is offline Senior Member
    How long were you on the Atkins diet before you had the heart attack? Were you eating grains? What other types of foods were you eating?

While a lot of people eat high sat fat on this diet with no problems, it is such a clean diet too, that makes a difference. Some people eat clean on Atkins, but many do not, which leads to inflammation. If you were eating inflammatory foods, your c- reactive protein would have been high. That could be why you had the heart attack.

krassi is offline Member
    What were you eating on Atkins? There's a lot of crap out there that qualifies as low-carb but is still unhealty.

Thanks for responding. I had been on the Atkins diet for over 6 months and followed the rules of diet strictly. I ate lots of meats including sausage, bacon, steak, eggs and cheeses with a few greens. Lunch meats were the sugar free kind. Sometimes I would go through McDonald's and get quarter pounders and just eat the meat. I ate no grains and no sugars.
    Ken

milkycereal is offline Banned
    From my uneducated POV, it was the McDonalds/sausages/lunchmeats that did you in. Most of us here eat none of that crap.

Especially McDonalds dude...no offense but how would you think that'd be still healthy??

Do you know what a McDonalds Cheeseburgur looks like after 4+ years?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IGtDPG4UfI

Im not trying to sound like an elitist but i only eat stuff "grok" woulda ate, which isn't very hard at all just real meat, veggies, fruits.

If your afraid of fat, get lean cuts and get your fats from avacados and nuts. thats what I do most of the time since I buy supermarket meat and most of the toxins in meat are stored in the fat.

Also your not eating THAT much meat. I Measure out my protien for the day, the rest of my calories are filled in by fats like avacados or a piece of fruit or whatever. Every plate I eat has a protien seving on top of a MOUNTAIN of veggies. Thats how u gata do it, learn to love veggies man.
    Last edited by milkycereal; 02-28-2011 at 08:38 AM.

Milkycereal,
    Thanks for your reply. Your point was to keep the food clean and stop all the stuff that kept the McDonald's burger preserved for 4 years out of my system. Makes sense as does your statement "eat only what Gork would eat". So it seems like it was not the saturated fat but the other stuff with the protein source like curing the bacon which Gork did not do either.

I am coming off a medifast diet and planning what to eat following this up. With my previous experience I am a bit nervous and looking for a eating plan that is sustainable and healthy.

Are you concerned about the connection between prostate cancer and red meat?

Thanks for your help and please don't apologize if you sound elite. I would like to be elite in my health, heart health, and functioning ability.
    Ken

emmie is offline Senior Member
    I eat low carb--first a generic version of my own and now Primal--but as an 'older woman' (post-menopausal), I don't eat 'high fat'--more moderate, and I do fine. I don't think it's essential to eat a lot of saturated fat, and I've read that older women don't tolerate high fat well--I know that I don't.

I'm definitely not 'low fat,' but I get my fats from things like salmon, tuna, avocados, olive oil (use liberally on veggies), and some bison--and my favorite treat, almond butter--that I try to ration because I could eat a jar a day if I let myself.

I don't eat any dairy and, of course, no grains. I'm hypothyroid, so I have my blood values checked every 4 months, and the reports are always excellent. I feel great.

NutMeg is offline Senior Member
    You were not following Atkins as outlined in the book for sure. Even the Atkins diet says to eat veggies, even during the first two weeks of induction you are supposed to eat up to 20 NET carbs a day. That would be carbs minus fiber. You can eat a TON of broccoli or spinach or other veggies with those rules. My guess is you didn't read the book. Which leads me to ask, have you read Mark's book? I am guessing no because you think that all you should be eating is saturated fats.

Also, I highly doubt that 6 months of an eating style lead to your heart disease. An otherwise healthy person that started eating the way you did would take MUCH longer than 6 months to have a heart attack from their diet. What did you eat before you went on Atkins? Were you obese? Can you honestly say it was Atkins that caused it, or was it more likely the years of abuse you did to your body before Atkins?

milkycereal is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenh View Post
    Milkycereal,
    Thanks for your reply. Your point was to keep the food clean and stop all the stuff that kept the McDonald's burger preserved for 4 years out of my system. Makes sense as does your statement "eat only what Gork would eat". So it seems like it was not the saturated fat but the other stuff with the protein source like curing the bacon which Gork did not do either.

I am coming off a medifast diet and planning what to eat following this up. With my previous experience I am a bit nervous and looking for a eating plan that is sustainable and healthy.

Are you concerned about the connection between prostate cancer and red meat?

Thanks for your help and please don't apologize if you sound elite. I would like to be elite in my health, heart health, and functioning ability.
    Ken
    Exactly, I mean that doesn't mean go crazy on the Saturated fats. I don't, and honestly until CW changes I can't say I will. But thats why you choose lean cuts and get your fat from avacados/nuts n stuff.

Also, by choosing lean-cuts of meat you're eating less of that cow's/pig's/whatever's fat, which is where most of the toxins and cancer causing things are stored. If you have the money you could go organic and grass-fed or local and then you can eat all the fatty delicous beef you can!

But don't forget the veggies! If you figure out your protien requirements (.5-1g for every lb of lean body mass, you without the fat) and lets say you eat three meals a day, split up your protein and have a serving with a mountain of veggies every meal. By mountain of veggies I mean brocolli or lettuce or spinnach....

And i know your food selection sounds limited, but you have to get creative! The other day I made turkey meatballs with a little parmisian cheese, garlic powder, chopped onions and italian seasonings. Then I sliced up 2 zuchinni really thin and spaggetti-like and sauteed em in butter, took some of Mom's delicous sauce and put it all over it, a little mo cheese and BAM - delicous, filling, healthy. Zuchiinnii is no spagetti, but its a nice substitute and fills you up.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by NutMeg View Post
    You were not following Atkins as outlined in the book for sure. Even the Atkins diet says to eat veggies, even during the first two weeks of induction you are supposed to eat up to 20 NET carbs a day. That would be carbs minus fiber. You can eat a TON of broccoli or spinach or other veggies with those rules. My guess is you didn't read the book. Which leads me to ask, have you read Mark's book? I am guessing no because you think that all you should be eating is saturated fats.

Also, I highly doubt that 6 months of an eating style lead to your heart disease. An otherwise healthy person that started eating the way you did would take MUCH longer than 6 months to have a heart attack from their diet. What did you eat before you went on Atkins? Were you obese? Can you honestly say it was Atkins that caused it, or was it more likely the years of abuse you did to your body before Atkins?
    Meghan,
    Thanks for your time. I read, outlined and followed the Atkins diet to a T. I may have stayed in the induction phase longer than usual but he did not say that would be harmful. It was 8 years ago and I cannot remember all the details but I remembered I followed it closely. I have most of the Primal Blueprint read. The saturated fat thing was the only thing that made me nervous. It was not that I thought that I could only eat saturated fat but that I did not have to worry about it. For example I remember also eating lots of nuts.
    I am sure my body was not great before I started the Atkins and I may have been on it for more than 6 months but I remember my cholesterol going up dramatically although if I remember correctly my triglycerides got much better but my LDl got worse. Sorry my memory is not better but at the time I had a heart attack there was another member of our community that went on the Atkins and died of a heart attack. I do not know the particulars of his diet.
    Ken
    Last edited by Kenh; 02-28-2011 at 09:48 AM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast