Thread: I want to be like Grok! page

JonSudano is offline Junior Member

I want to be like Grok!

Shop Now
    Hello everyone, I'm Jon, and I'm about 2 days into my Paleolithic diet. I'm reading The Primal Blueprint as well as taking some key points and applying them into my life in hopes of achieving some long term goals.

Some background on me: I'm 19, 5'8, and 475 pounds. How did I get like this, you ask? Most likely an excess of processed carbs, lack of exercise and poor dietary choices. I grew up surrounded by video games, junk food and friends/family who made the same poor choices I did. It wasn't easy growing through my teen years knowing I couldn't do most things kids my age did due to my weight, and still isn't.

Mark inspired me when I stumbled upon this website and borrowed his book The Primal Blueprint from my older brother, who is also following the lifestyle. I learned some pretty important things about my own body and how to take care of it, as well as generally be healthy. I can also appreciate how it exposes an abundance of dietary and workout-related "myths" to be flawed (Conventional Wisdom) and how it corrects them, replacing what could have been a dreadful biological truth to an enlightening revelation of how I should (or shouldn't) be eating, or exercising.

At first I was skeptical to believe that one could achieve a near-perfect body and overall outlook on life simply by removing some things from my life and replacing them with something better. To me, this is mostly a psychological battle of willpower vs. temptation, an ongoing struggle with my own addiction of food and just general laziness. All in all, I just don't want to be fat anymore. I want to be "normal". I don't want to be a gym rat, or a health nut, or one of those people that attribute strenuous exercise with routine. True, it would certainly help me to get where I want, but I've been down that road way too early in my life. I'm at a point where I find it hard sticking to something that extreme, or something that life-consuming.

It's gotten so bad that I'm considering a gastric bypass surgery. But before I allow a surgeon to cut me open I see this as (avoiding the term "last resort") an opportunity for a lifestyle change. And in my case, change is good.

So I'm coming to you guys not only for support but to keep you all updated on my journey to "going Primal". I hope that when I'm done here, I will be a completely different person in the way that I will not only have lost this weight, but learned a thing or two about the human body and how utterly beautiful it is.

I'll also finish this book and apply everything I learn to my own life. Thanks!
    -J

ps Will update in future, for now.. back to Paleolithic times..

krassi is offline Member
    Congratulations on making the decision to change your health.

You sure have a lot of weight to lose, so you're gonna have to be in it for the long haul.

Can't wait to follow your progress.

cmw45 is offline Member
    We're here for support man.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Definitely. You might be our...biggest project yet! Although your attitude is good so I predict you will flourish and be as fit as Grok soon enough.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!