Thread: Maltodextrin? Inflammation? King Korn Movie page

melissahayes is offline Junior Member

Maltodextrin? Inflammation? King Korn Movie

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi All, newbie here. Started in early January on a generic low carb diet, then found Primal. Lost 16 lbs so far and feeling great. I'm stalling a bit now, it's probably all those nuts and raw cheeses I love!
    One of the biggest Wows has been that my carpal tunnel is almost completely gone! So, I saw the film King Korn the other night and started checking all my ingredients, and sure enough, my probiotics have maltodextrin in it! Should I freak out, or what? Now that I have such physical evidence that grains cause inflammation, I really don't want to ingest any grains at all!
    Anyone know a grain free & virtually casein free (my son, and possibly my husband are casein intolerant).
    Thanks

ilikesubtitles is offline Senior Member
    I realized that my probiotics had maltodextrin in them too after I started to wonder why they weren't doing me any goods. (I am gluten intolerant, so they were probably doing more harm than good!) IMO probiotic foods are your best bet, and they are way cheaper and more nutritious. I recently started brewing my own kombucha and feel really good about my gut flora. And when I get glutened or sugared now I feel much less worse than I used to without such healthy gut flora.
    I don't own a scale and don't care to!

O_O
    O_O is offline Senior Member
    I use Inno-Vite DDS Plus. They don't contain dairy, corn, wheat, gluten, soy, nuts, peanuts, eggs, shellfish, yeast, GMO, artificial colous, flavours or preservatives.

melissahayes is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by O_O View Post
    I use Inno-Vite DDS Plus. They don't contain dairy, corn, wheat, gluten, soy, nuts, peanuts, eggs, shellfish, yeast, GMO, artificial colous, flavours or preservatives.
    They do have rice starch though...not sure I like that idea. Thanks, I'll keep looking. Maybe Kirkman, anyone use them?

nutritionut is offline Member
    I was just reading about how maltodextrin can exacerbate candida in a book about adrenal fatigue and about to look for replacement supplements.

VSL #3 is a strong probiotic without any crap.

O_O
    O_O is offline Senior Member
    A lot of vitamins use rice starch too.

Lars86 is offline Senior Member
    My first thought would be that the quantities are very small compared to dietary amounts...

nopie is offline Senior Member
    off topic but thanks for reminding me I've been wanting to download/watch that 'king corn' film!

ilikesubtitles is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lars86 View Post
    My first thought would be that the quantities are very small compared to dietary amounts...
    That's true, but if you're gluten intolerant (as many people unknowingly are) it can affect you a whole lot.

And as nutritionut says, it can exacerbate candida--I believe it was doing that to me. Two weeks of replacing my old probiotic pills with home brewed kombucha and avoiding all other sources of sugar, and I feel great and have gotten rid of the last bit of candida acne I had floating around. I've only gotten one new zit since then and I have more energy.
    I don't own a scale and don't care to!