Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: artichokes make me hungry? page

Saoirse is online now Senior Member

artichokes make me hungry?

Shop Now
    yeah, like the title says, eating an artichoke makes me feel hungry. i crave carbs after eating one (with lots of butter and lemon juice). any rational explanation?

runnergal is offline Senior Member
    You just ate for an hour to obtain roughly 1 tablespoon of food matter?
    MTA: because it is rare I dont have more to say

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7

MrsToon is offline Senior Member
    Artichokes are one of my "if I were on a desert island" foods. I know they are a lot of work to prepare and eat, but I couldn't care less. I told my hairdresser about artichokes, she had never tried one. I explained in detail how to cook and eat them complete with diagrams on a post-it. Recently, she tells me, "oh I tried artichoke. I really liked the heart, but I couldn't eat the leaves. Also I didn't like that white spiky stuff in the middle." I blinked, and said, "you mean you ATE the CHOKE?" and she DID. After cooking the thing for TWENTY MINUTES. I said it was a miracle she was even willing to look at another artichoke! I gave her some more guidelines and she was eager to try again.

But as to your original comment: I am always hungry for more artichokes.

pfft! who takes an hour to eat an artichoke? the only thing preventing me from gobbling it up in 30 seconds is the retained heat (my mouth hurts now). a jumbo artichoke contains around 60 calories and 4 g of protein, but i eat them with butter, so add another 200 calories and 20ish g of fat. this isn't really the point, though. i could eat a very full meal, then an artichoke, and i will crave something sweet after the artichoke. when i was a teen, i used to chase an artichoke with a few sips of mt. dew. i hated soda then as i do now, but for some reason the mt. dew tasted just perfect after an artichoke.

ha! she ate the fuzzy part?? no wonder she couldn't eat the leaves if she only cooked it for 20 minutes!

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Maybe all the chewing = serotonin release= reminder of how you felt eating high carb food = hunger

O_O
    O_O is offline Senior Member
    Foods that trigger cravings can indicate an intolerance.

Suzan is offline Senior Member
    I love them and could eat one every day. They don't make me hungrier, though. They contain inulin. I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by O_O View Post
    Foods that trigger cravings can indicate an intolerance.
    this isn't a bad craving, it feels like low blood sugar. no one else has noticed this? the craving was filled last night by eating a few blackberries.

amandalw1 is offline Junior Member
    Hmm... this thread is making me hungry for artichokes and hollandaise sauce.

runnergal is offline Senior Member
    I havent noticed it with artichokes but I have had some other foods do a similar thing.
    MTA: because it is rare I dont have more to say

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast