Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal vs Paleo page

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member

Primal vs Paleo

Shop Now
    What is the difference between primal and paleo? I use them interchangeably on my blog but am getting annoyed with it. I think they are the same and want to read what YOU think.

I can't wait to read all the different responses...
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Mistizoom is offline Junior Member
    My opinion, paleo is eating only what the caveman had access to. Primal is eating what is good for us based on our (caveman) genes. Some of these items the caveman may not have had access to, but they are nontheless still high quality foods.

Balance is offline Senior Member
    I believe Primal is like Paleo except Paleo is a bit more restrictive. Paleo tends to shy away from dairy, nightshades, eggs and sometimes goes more with leaner cuts of meat than fattier cuts of meat. (Robb Wolf, Loren Courdain) But Paleo is interpreted differently depending on the author, Robb Wolf/Loren Courdain or Art DeVany. Primal is more of Mark Sisson's interpretation of Paleo which I believe he coined and adjusts to the modern day. Both paleo and primal are both subject to change as I have seen all the authors make amendments as new evidence and studies emerge.
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

Christina* is offline Senior Member
    In my experience, the main difference has to do with the treatment of dairy. Paleo = against dairy, whereas primal-eaters tend to be fine with it as long as you are not intolerant to it. Robb Wolf has said that he is fine with some butter though.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    i see paleo as more strict -- literally meat, vegetables, and a bit of fruit. spices allowed, of course.

weird fish is offline Senior Member
    Paleo I see as the umbrella term for diets which aim to eat only foods that prehistoric man was eating, or at least simulate it. Primal is a version of paleo with its own emphases within that paleo umbrella. To me, MDA/Primal are more interchangeable than Paleo/Primal. I'm pretty much doing my own version of paleo, I use this site as a resource, not a standard. For that reason, and because I tend to see 'Primal' as a sort of brand, I never really use it.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    There is no "one paleo" diet or author, while Mark S. is the sole arbiter of "Primal". I think of Primal as version, a less restrictive one, than most other versions of Paleo, and I don't think there are too many differences worth fussing over - individual differences (allergies, etc.) count for more than anything once you've gone whole foods, highish protein, pro-sat fat, etc. In other words, there is really nothing a "paleo" person could cook me that I wouldn't probably eat, and more or less vice versa.

Mistizoom is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    There is no "one paleo" diet or author, while Mark S. is the sole arbiter of "Primal". I think of Primal as version, a less restrictive one, than most other versions of Paleo, and I don't think there are too many differences worth fussing over - individual differences (allergies, etc.) count for more than anything once you've gone whole foods, highish protein, pro-sat fat, etc. In other words, there is really nothing a "paleo" person could cook me that I wouldn't probably eat, and more or less vice versa.
    I don't think Mark has an exclusive claim to "primal". I have another book....Primal Body-Primal Mind by Nora Teresa Gedgaudas which has some very similar principles, though she comes from a traditional foods standpoint (e.g., more emphaisis on grassfed/pastured/wild meats, no protein powders/man-made foods, more fermented foods), basically a Weston A. Price Foundation/Nourising Traditions diet without the grains.
    Last edited by Mistizoom; 02-27-2011 at 09:41 PM.

NutMeg is offline Senior Member
    I think you guys pegged the diet portions. Primal is a bit less restrictive.

I have not read Wolfe's book so I can't comment on it, but I did read Cordain's and another difference is that The Primal Blueprint focuses on a specific full lifestyle, eating, playing, sleeping, sun, exercise, etc. It is a full on plan of how to live, not just a way to eat.

ommmmaggie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistizoom View Post
    Primal Body-Primal Mind by Nora Teresa Gedgaudas ... <snip> ... basically a Weston A. Price Foundation/Nourising Traditions diet without the grains.
    Interesting! Is the book any good?

Stats as of 3/1/12:
    5'10" female, 38 y/o
    Currently 140 lbs., approx 25% body fat
    WEIGHT GOAL: lose a bit more body fat and tighten up the rear end...basically, I want to look great naked. Everywhere else is looking great, but my ass/hips/thighs are being a bit stubborn. TMI?
    DAILY MACRO TARGETS: Cal: 1,857. Protein: 100g (400cal). Carb: 75g (300cal). Fat: 128g (1156cal).
    EXERCISE GOAL: incorporate 2-3 strength training sessions and 1 sprint session per week.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast