Thread: Greetings from the Jersey Shore/Question about rapid weight loss page

Tom Dunphy is offline Member

Greetings from the Jersey Shore/Question about rapid weight loss

Primal Fuel
    Hello, primals!

My name's Tom, I'm 25 years old and I'm about a week into living the primal lifestyle. I read Mark's book in two days and was really inspired. I was an accomplished long distance runner in high school, but college and partying led me to a sedentary lifestyle and significant weight gain. Finishing school and entering the professional certainly didn't get me back into shape.

I tried big box gyms and CW diets to varying degrees of success until I discovered crossfit about 6 months. I didn't lose much weight because I still followed a CW diet, but I did gain a lot of practical strength and became reinvigorated with fitness. Discussions with people I met there and research online led me to paleo diets in general and later The Primal Blueprint.

On to my question...

I have been eating primal for a week. I have yet to experience any carb flu but what I did see was some very rapid weight loss to the tune of 9 pounds in the first week. I started kind of heavy (6'1" and 214 pounds) but I quickly dropped to 205.

While I enjoy losing weight, I was wondering if my experience is typical for those just getting started?

spakesneaker is offline Senior Member
    Welcome, Tom! To answer your question, yes, your experience is pretty typical for those starting out from higher weights and switching from CW diets. Especially because on low-carb diets the initial weight loss does include water weight, and on PB possibly includes the cooling of any inflammation from wheat/grains. After this the weight loss will continue but not as quickly, and you will see body recomposition. For example, I dropped from 170 to 160 pounds in about two months, but my weight loss has slowed since then (mostly because I haven't been very compliant with primal.. on the bright side I didn't gain it all back!!)

great to hear! thank you!

i'm really pumped about the weight loss. nine pounds in such a short amount of time is a great way to keep me on track.

it was really empowering dumping out five unopened cans of the monster energy drink i used to be a slave to. i haven't missed it.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    i've been getting more comfortable on these forums so i thought i'd share a couple of pictures.

here i am in dough boy mode at what i believe is the height of my weight gain. about 220 pounds.

here i am this morning. 21 pounds lighter and three weeks primal. i have a long way to go to my goal weight of 180, but i'm pumped and ready to go!