Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Beef, not Chicken page

PrimalWannabeGirl is offline Senior Member

Beef, not Chicken

Primal Fuel
    For the first time in my life, I participated in killing chickens and one duck. This was done by a kosher slaughterer who was teaching us about the practice of shechita (kosher slaughter).

I haven't been too keen on eating meat since then, not because I am so squicked, but because I can't shake the (newly acquired) awareness that an animal has died so I might eat.

My husband, who hates fish (that I have been serving every night since the slaughter) pointed out to me that by eating beef far fewer animals die to feed us.

That makes sense to me, so now I am investigating how to acquire a share of a local, grassfed cow that has been slaughtered in a kosher fashion. NOT easy.

What I thought was interesting and wanted to share was the economics of death----the bigger the animal, the fewer die to feed us (as in individual family).

Pea

Lojasmo is offline Senior Member
    True enough.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Why go to fish when you're squeamish? The fish have to be killed as well.

If you're not prepared to kill your own food, you shouldn't be eating it
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Nomad1 is offline Senior Member
    Sorry to be sarcastic, but do fish just fall asleep and you eat them?

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    It's a good point. Perhaps we could all go in on an elephant. I'd eat one. I bet they're tasty.

It is an eye opener when you really make that death/food connection. It's sort of disturbing in a way, to consume another thing that was once alive and aware. It sometimes seems though, the more evolved the animal, the more aware they are. A cow versus a fish... the cow seems more aware of its existence. I mean, does a fish even know it's in water?

Not to make it hard to eat a cow or anything. It's easier to kill a chicken than it is to kill a deer, at least to me. Both, however get my deepest respect and gratitude.

I'm currently preparing for a boar and a share of buffalo. It's always heartening to know that when I buy meat, they lived a happy, dignified life.

Reminds me of a line from The Whole Nine Yards, where Jimmy says "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive."

skink531 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    Why go to fish when you're squeamish? The fish have to be killed as well.

I mean no offense to the OP, but most people only seem to feel bad when they have to kill something they might consider to be "cute". No one would mind petting a little chicky or ducky, but who snuggles up with a fish? But i do see the point that fewer cows have to be slaughtered to feed a family than with smaller animals, so if that's an issue for you beef is the answer. But you have to kill as many or more fish as you would chickens. I personally don't have a problem so I eat them all.

Rud3d0g is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    I don't know the Kosher way of killing chickens - I do know that when I spent summers at my uncles ranch as a kid we used a stump and an axe - Maybe it doesn't bother me because it was WORK when I was a kid - if your squeamish do it about 50 more times and ya should be cured. If anything you think you would have more respect for your food and be thankful for it once you realize that life can only survive on life. My boys have been to the stock show and know where there dinner comes from - In my opinion if your gonna eat it you should have a clue what it was before it hits your plate.
    "First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do" - Epictetus

Lojasmo is offline Senior Member
    Group buy on a blue whale?

PrimalWannabeGirl is offline Senior Member
    There isn't any logic to why I was able to cook and serve fish. I own that my reactions are emotional, and the reason I participated in this workshop was precisely to "get my hands dirty" so to speak.

To peril: many people say they are prepared to kill their own food until they are presented with the opportunity. Having grown up in a city, I had never even seen a goat close up until I went to this farm last week.

And...........I was a vegetarian for a number of years in my lifetime, and it was my exposure to Crossfit and paleo/primal eating that got me eating meat again. So I think I am taking responsibility as best I can for my choices.

Pea

skink531 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Rud3d0g View Post
    I don't know the Kosher way of killing chickens - I do know that when I spent summers at my uncles ranch as a kid we used a stump and an axe - Maybe it doesn't bother me because it was WORK when I was a kid - if your squeamish do it about 50 more times and ya should be cured. If anything you think you would have more respect for your food and be thankful for it once you realize that life can only survive on life. My boys have been to the stock show and know where there dinner comes from - In my opinion if your gonna eat it you should have a clue what it was before it hits your plate.
    Thats good. My girls know exactly where the food comes from, and what part of the animal they are eating. You need to have respect for your food. I grew up in a family that hunted and fished, so maybe that gave me a different perspective. We preferred food we got ourselves, and you never killed it unless you planed on eating it. Hell, one day my dad killed a rattle snake that came on our front porch and we ate it that night(in case you didn't know, rattle snake ain't bad).

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast