Page 8 of 71 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast

Thread: Reality check: Counting calories page 8

carres1973 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Oh Paleobird, I am in the same boat! I will admit to being one who read the book (and now several Paleo books) and thought after reading that weight loss would "just happen." Alas, it just ain't happening! I do what I am supposed to but the weight just doesn't go. I haven't even really shifted to a smaller size or found the elusive increased entergy. I do like the foods I am eating and do find that I don't have the "sugar lows" after eating heavy carb meals.

I guess, it seems, we all have a decision to make. Either we buckle down and count calories (and probably be hungry) or resign ourselves to the fact that maybe we won't lose weight and just be haply with where we are. I am seriously struggling with the choice!

Carrie

runnergal is offline Senior Member
    One of the things that I have been playing with is trying to do the very very small reduction....eat close to maintenance at my desired weight and try to drift there.

The post prandial stuff is interesting. I need to restock test strips and I need a new lancet. But I have to admit to finding checking blood sugars highly annoying. Partly because I so rarely get to sit down and just eat so my meal TAKES close to an hour sometimes.
    MTA: because it is rare I dont have more to say

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7

batty is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    About Batty’s thread which I so adore, Yes, body composition has shifted around allowing me into a smaller size jeans. But I am not buying the “muscle is more compact than fat so you should ditch your scale” argument. At the levels I’m working out, I am not packing on pounds of muscle. Batty is a different story. They don’t call her workout room “Batty’s Basement of Doom” for nothing. My PBF push ups, pull ups, planks, etc. are toning things up a bit so the size 10s fit and I’m loving that. But the reason I’m not seeing falling numbers on the scale is not because of muscle mass gain although it would be reassuring to believe that and keep eating my bacon.
    no, i'm really not a different story. i am just like everyone else here. i am a former 200 lb woman who started out with pilates 3x a week and nothing else because i knew crapall about nutrition and exercise. i have restricted, starved myself, got really small, went on food benders, got bigger again, ad nauseum for the past 4 years. i have BTDT. i come from experience. so, i am entirely confused as to why my viewpoint is now dismissed because i enjoy lifting heavier than most of the females around here.

if you want to track and restrict, by all means, go for it. and if you can maintain that restriction indefinitely, then my proverbial hat goes off to you. but it always seems that 'eating too much' is the only answer people come up with, and i dont necessarily agree that it is.

paste what braintwin iniQuity said here and i'll leave it at that.

HANDS OFF MY BACON :: my primal journal

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by frances View Post
    Haven't read the whole thread, but was struck by this.... 5"10? size 10? That seems to be exactly the size someone your height should be wearing.... (If not a 12). Are you sure you really have 30 pounds to lose?
    There's a difference between adequate and awesome.

zoebird is online now Senior Member
    well, i find "adequate" to not be an word that fits you at all. yes, it is like ill-fitting shirts. just not right. you're awesome, even if your body composition hasn't caught onto that idea yet. it will. i'm sure you'll figure it out, whatever it is that needs to happen.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by batty View Post
    no, i'm really not a different story. i am just like everyone else here. i am a former 200 lb woman who started out with pilates 3x a week and nothing else because i knew crapall about nutrition and exercise. i have restricted, starved myself, got really small, went on food benders, got bigger again, ad nauseum for the past 4 years. i have BTDT. i come from experience. so, i am entirely confused as to why my viewpoint is now dismissed because i enjoy lifting heavier than most of the females around here.

if you want to track and restrict, by all means, go for it. and if you can maintain that restriction indefinitely, then my proverbial hat goes off to you. but it always seems that 'eating too much' is the only answer people come up with, and i dont necessarily agree that it is.

paste what braintwin iniQuity said here and i'll leave it at that.
    Batty, first of all, thank you for gracing this thread with your presence. You are my hero. In no way shape or form was your viewpoint being dismissed. I was only pointing out that you currently work out at a level that I don't plan to, need to, or feel capable of attaining at this point in my life. Therefor the argument that muscle weighs more than fat which is used to reassure people who are not seeing any improvement on the scale, doesn't really apply to me as I am not packing on pounds of muscle. At the level I'm exercising, I'm tightening up the existing muscle a bit yes but not adding pounds of it. That is all I said about your viewpoint. The fact that you have made the gains you have is inspirational. No one said otherwise.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    well, i find "adequate" to not be an word that fits you at all. yes, it is like ill-fitting shirts. just not right. you're awesome, even if your body composition hasn't caught onto that idea yet. it will. i'm sure you'll figure it out, whatever it is that needs to happen.
    Awwwwwwwwww. Thank you, Zoe. With friends like you I'm sure I will be just fine.

NutMeg is offline Senior Member
    You might be at the point where you can't do anymore with diet alone. You have used up the 80% of weight loss that is capable from diet and may NEED to add more to your workouts to achieve your goals. Does this mean you have to lift like Batty? No, most likely not, but it might be time to reevaluate your program.

I think I am getting close to this point myself. I still have a bit of weight to lose, full on blubbery fat in my belly, so I think I can pull off 10 more pounds with diet and then I am going to have to up the exercise. I am thinking increasing my sprints and getting back into tabata workouts.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by profdjj View Post
    I've become a major fan of Dr. Michael Eades. Here's a post on low carb/calories: http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/w...nd-calories-2/ He says you can eat low carb and as many calories as you want and not gain weight, but to lose weight, most people have to calorie restrict at least a little (there are some lucky folks who don't).

Here's another post of his regarding IF: http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/i...ttent-fasting/

I've also become a fan of Fast-5: http://www.fast-5.com/ I suggest you download his e-book (it's free if you register) where he talks about losing weight via IF. His is a 5 hour eat window / 19 hour fast.

I'm not a big fan of leangains - he's a little too hard core body builder for me. But I am enjoying this man's paleo/IF blog: www.theleansaloon.com Very good writer.

I know for me that I HAVE to calorie restrict to lose weight. I've also found that IFing (I have a 6 hour eat window - breakfast/lunch, skip dinner) and slight calorie restriction works like a charm for me.
    profdjj ~Thank you so much for posting this! After reading the first linked article, I finally "get it"! His explanation cut through the last bit of confusion I had.

Paleobird~ After re-reading your thread, I agree that calorie restriction is probably the way to go for you, as long as you keep your carbs low.

PrimalWannabeGirl is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    One last idea to ponder:

I can't find the citation, but when I first researched IF online, I found a study that examined gender differences in IF in mice. The study had four groups---male mice eating a fixed composition, fixed-calorie diet in divided "meals"; male mice eating the same diet but on an IF schedule; and two groups of female mice with the corresponding feeding schedules.

What struck me was that the female IF mice did NOT lose weight while the male IF mice did relative to the divided meal groups, leading to the conclusion that IF---at least for female mice----did not in itself provide a weight-losing metabolic 'advantage'.

This makes sense to me, if you think that women's metabolisms would lead to a more vigorous defense of fat in the face of "starvation." It is my opinion that IF in women WITHOUT the heavy lifting that promotes muscle growth might actually hamper weight-loss efforts.

Something to consider.

PEa

Page 8 of 71 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast