Page 67 of 71 FirstFirst ... 17576566676869 ... LastLast

Thread: Reality check: Counting calories page 67

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by svelting View Post
    Another tracking option: I've been using My Fitness Pal and liking it -- the web, Android and Blackberry applications. It took two tries to get the goals where I wanted them, but now I know.

Also, a new approach: I noticed that I was looking at the calories & fats at then end of the day and thinking, "hmmm I could have x or y." Then, I'd eat something just because "the numbers said" instead of paying attention to hunger/no hunger. Consequently I've adjusted my mindset and targets ... calorie target is a minimum, protein target is a minimum, carbs a max, and fat "target" is there for fun.
    I haven't tried that one. On SparkPeople you can set your targets as a range so you get a min and a max, for example I'm aiming for 1200-1500 calories a day. Once you start using one of those tracking programs for a while you sort of get used to the system and have all your favorites entered so it gets less likely that you will switch.

Eva Lution is offline Member
    Question about Spark People: I changed my Nutrition Goals when I started it yesterday. Then today they were back to the CW, pre-set goals. Do I have to change them every day, or is this just something messed up with my personal plan? If that is the case, I'll ask someone to check into it. If I have to change it every day, I might have to reconsider using it.
    Everything I eat has been proved by some doctor or other to be a deadly poison, and everything I don't eat has been proved to be indispensable for life. But I go marching on. ~George Bernard Shaw

Starting Weight (1/3/2011): 189
    Current Weight: 173

Goal: To be in the best shape ever by age 50! (5/11/2012)

carres1973 is offline Senior Member
    Eva - I changed mine once (carbs) and they have stayed the same. I wonder if there is just a box you have to check to keep it forever?

Carrie

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Eva Lution View Post
    Question about Spark People: I changed my Nutrition Goals when I started it yesterday. Then today they were back to the CW, pre-set goals. Do I have to change them every day, or is this just something messed up with my personal plan? If that is the case, I'll ask someone to check into it. If I have to change it every day, I might have to reconsider using it.
    There is a little box to check when logging in that says "Remember Me?" I think this is what saves your settings.

inquisitiveone is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I don't know about chron-o-meter, but SparkPeople allows you to adjust the target macros for paleo standards, not just RDA.
    Cron-o-meter does allow one to adjust the target range for macronutrients.
    “Whether you think you can, or think you can’t — you’re right.” ~ Henry Ford

My primal journal

JenCat is offline Senior Member
    With chron-0, it's not the macros that are the problem. It's the amounts of vitamins and minerals. Every site is likely to have the same info. I was curious about things like potassium. It tells me how much I'm getting and the percentage of the RDA, but that doesn't really help. My guess is that I'm not getting enough, since it says 33 per cent. Other than that, I think I like it best of all that I've tried.

svelting is offline Member
    With CRON-o-meter, you can adjust the target levels for vitamins and minerals. I liked the amount of information estimated or tracked in CRON-o but was swayed by the mobile apps.

@Paleobird -- you're right that switching these applications is a drag. I used Livestrong for a while, then tried others for a few days, kept going back to LS. Making the change from one system that you understand, and where you've got a lot of personalized information is difficult. User-stickiness is the name of the game.

Kelda is online now Senior Member
    Weekly update ... weigh in tomorrow ...

Daily averages for the week - 1612 calories as 28% 111 g protein, 59% 105 g fat and 12% 46 g carbohydrate - 1% alcohol

Training for the week consisted of one heavy weight session where I smashed my deadlifting pb, and one WOW (the pack of cards one - great fun but boy my arms are aching today!), 90 minutes walking, 4:30 yoga, 2:00 swimming and 2:30 biking.

I can see in the mirror the gained abdominal winter fat is pretty much gone but I suspect there may not be much weight change due to strength increases.

How is everyone else doing, Paleobird? Winencandy? etc ...
    Seeking the natural way in a modern world ...

Paleobird Guest
    Holding steady but then I had four days last week where I took a break from tracking to be with a friend going through an emotional crisis. I still ate paleo just didn't measure the amounts. Back on track now and still 6.5 lbs down from where I started. It's nice to know that you can take a break like that without blowing all your hard work as long as you stay primal.

I really want to add that I think working out is a fundamental aspect of making this plan work correctly. In one week I'm doing one 1/2 marathon walk, 3 LHT workouts, 2 sprint days, plus lots of shorter dog walking. I always allow myself one complete day of rest per week (that's today) and that seems to be a good balance.

Kelda is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I really want to add that I think working out is a fundamental aspect of making this plan work correctly. In one week I'm doing one 1/2 marathon walk, 3 LHT workouts, 2 sprint days, plus lots of shorter dog walking. I always allow myself one complete day of rest per week (that's today) and that seems to be a good balance.
    Absolutely and is very much what Mark promotes, more so than Art De Vany. I think Primal ethos is more in line with what our distant ancestors would have done. Yes they would have sat around chilling more than us (no TV, no socials, no shopping, no artificial light etc) BUT the moving they did to find sufficient food would have been significant.
    Seeking the natural way in a modern world ...

Page 67 of 71 FirstFirst ... 17576566676869 ... LastLast