Page 65 of 71 FirstFirst ... 15556364656667 ... LastLast

Thread: Reality check: Counting calories page 65

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Fuel
    I am so inspired to see this plan that has emerged from our collective effort working for so many people. I don't want people to drift away from PB thinking "Yeah, another one of those gimmicks that came and went".

@WnC When you were doing the 30 DONN you weren't restricting calories and probably weren't getting enough protein. So, yeah, it wasn't the magical thing it was advertised to be. Now you're calorie counting and trying to up your protein but you're drifting into too many non-primal cheats. You have to get both working at the same time. I totally agree with you that having a glass of wine is not a big deal but with two big caveats. I allow myself a glass of wine IF I already have my protein either in me or planned and IF there are still calories left in the "budget". That way wine calories don't edge out the protein calories you need.

winencandy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelda View Post
    And I've continued thinking myself!

BCAA's - they provide the body with amino acids which the liver converts into just as much glucose as the body needs but no more. This keeps the brain happy and aids with sugar cravings. It aids with protein in the sense that what you eat is then used for other processes (as far as I understand it) so would mean I guess in theory at least that you wouldn't need to pack quite so much in? I just know that it's one of Art's (De Vany) recommendations, particularly for women who need to gain lean muscle and have a hard time eating enough protein.
    OK, thanks.
    I bought a jar of protein powder today. It says it has BCAA in it...

My other thought from some lateral thinking and left field ...

You often refer to being full and not wanting to eat when not hungry just to satisfy protein quotas etc. What occured to me (at four o clock this morning!) is that your measuring system might be awry! Often I look at he foods you consume and find it surprising they have has few calories as you state.

I notice you use the north Amercian 'cup' system. We don't use that in the UK and personally I think it's really inaccurate, especially for certain types of food - how do you know how much to pack it in etc!
    This is possible.

So my suggestion for you - weigh things with a scale for the next week to get an accurate quantity. And, make a comparison between the programme you use now and say Fitday to see if there are significant differences.
    I bought a digital scale today.
    I should also probably say that I've NEVER, EVER, in my 46 years, counted calories, let alone protein, carbs or fat, until the 1st of March.
    This is all VERY NEW to me.

Given you didn't lose on the 30 day programme I think this could be the issue, you are actually eating more than you think! And, if measurements of protein are quite off that will affect the whole balance and what we seem to have discovered here is that the balance of protein is crucial.

And finally if all the other Primal Laws are in place it could be that you have other underlying physiological reasons for this apparent anomoly which might be worth investigating.
    Thanks.
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I totally agree with you that having a glass of wine is not a big deal but with two big caveats. I allow myself a glass of wine IF I already have my protein either in me or planned and IF there are still calories left in the "budget". That way wine calories don't edge out the protein calories you need.
    As I told Kelda, this is the very first time in my life I've counted calories, let alone protein, carbs or fat. This is all VERY new to me.
    I eat and then I plug the data into the calculator.

I'm doing good to do that.

I'm not at a point where I could "pre-plan" or budget before hand. I just don't know enough.
    If I had to plan and work out everything before I ate it, I don't think I'd be doing it for very long.
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

I thought about this a lot yesterday. Then I opened up The Primal Blueprint and did some reading. Got back to basics.

From The Primal Blueprint:

“These are the critical elements of the Primal Blueprint weight-loss approach:
    Minimize carb intake to control insulin production and enable stored body fat to be burned for energy.
    Optimize protein intake to preserve energy levels and or increase muscle mass while you exercise.
    Optimize fat intake to achieve high satiety levels, provide energy, and eliminate hunger.
    Engage in occasional Intermittent Fasting (I.F.) and deregulated meal habits to produce accelerated caloric deficits that lead to greater fat loss.
    Engage in a Primal Blueprint-style exercise program that fine-tunes your fat metabolism, builds/tones lean muscle, and accelerates body composition improvements without exhausting you.
    Avoid excessive regimentation or results obsession in favor of a long-term perspective. Assess results monthly and don’t worry about daily calorie counting or frequent scale measurements.

For those of you seeking detailed, quantifiable guidelines for your caloric intake, you can follow this simple formula that begins with obtaining a calculable level of protein sufficient to preserve lean muscle mass, strictly limiting carbs to an average of 50-100 per day, and using fat as the main variable to obtain your daily caloric needs.”

So, I tried it:

BMR = 1358
    Lightly active x .375 = 509 Activity Factor (I'm not a heavy exerciser)
    Total Calorie Expenditure = BMR 1358 + Activity Factor = 1867
    Lean body mass = 98 lbs
    0.7 protein factor: 98 x 0.7 = 68.6 g lets say 70, to make my life easier But I will try to go higher, but I'm not going to "stuff" myself to do it.

Carb Sweet Spot: 50-100g/day, so lets go for the middle – 75 g/day, but I will try to go lower.

1867 – 500 = 1367 calories / day

Desired Goals
    Desired protein grams = 70 (x4) = 280 calories
    Desired carb grams = 75 (x4) = 300 calories
    Desired fat grams = 85 (x9) = 765 calories

Total calories = 1345 (close enough)

These are going to be my goals.
    "Moderation sucks." Suse

Winencandy

Kelda is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by winencandy View Post
    I thought about this a lot yesterday ... For those of you seeking detailed, quantifiable guidelines for your caloric intake, you can follow this simple formula that begins with obtaining a calculable level of protein sufficient to preserve lean muscle mass, strictly limiting carbs to an average of 50-100 per day, and using fat as the main variable to obtain your daily caloric needs.”[/I]

So, I tried it:

BMR = 1358
    Lean body mass = 98 lbs
    0.7 protein factor: 98 x 0.7 = 68.6 g lets say 70, to make my life easier But I will try to go higher, but I'm not going to "stuff" myself to do it.

Carb Sweet Spot: 50-100g/day, so lets go for the middle – 75 g/day, but I will try to go lower.

Desired Goals

Just one caveat, enjoy the process too, think of it as a great personal experiment, don't let it rule you. As my yoga teacher says 'delight in the process'! I think you will find it fascinating if you have no background at all in this area. It really is quite surprising. I'll also be interested to see how the measuring and logging works out compared with what you thought you were doing and if you can see an obvious difference in what's on your plate compared with your 30donn.
    Seeking the natural way in a modern world ...

Eva Lution is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by winencandy View Post
    I thought about this a lot yesterday. Then I opened up The Primal Blueprint and did some reading. Got back to basics.

From The Primal Blueprint:

“These are the critical elements of the Primal Blueprint weight-loss approach:
    Minimize carb intake to control insulin production and enable stored body fat to be burned for energy.
    Optimize protein intake to preserve energy levels and or increase muscle mass while you exercise.
    Optimize fat intake to achieve high satiety levels, provide energy, and eliminate hunger.
    Engage in occasional Intermittent Fasting (I.F.) and deregulated meal habits to produce accelerated caloric deficits that lead to greater fat loss.
    Engage in a Primal Blueprint-style exercise program that fine-tunes your fat metabolism, builds/tones lean muscle, and accelerates body composition improvements without exhausting you.
    Avoid excessive regimentation or results obsession in favor of a long-term perspective. Assess results monthly and don’t worry about daily calorie counting or frequent scale measurements.

For those of you seeking detailed, quantifiable guidelines for your caloric intake, you can follow this simple formula that begins with obtaining a calculable level of protein sufficient to preserve lean muscle mass, strictly limiting carbs to an average of 50-100 per day, and using fat as the main variable to obtain your daily caloric needs.”

So, I tried it:

BMR = 1358
    Lean body mass = 98 lbs

Desired Goals

I used the formula for protein in the Eades' Protein Power and got just about the same thing for myself (Protein = 77 grams, Carbs between 50 and 100 grams, Fat = 88 grams, allowing for between 1300-1500 calories/day)

It's working pretty well for me, and I hope you see the same. I know from other posts we are in kind of similar situations. BTW, my own luxuries are dark chocolate and tea with honey and half & half. I have jiggered things around enough that I get my protein and vegetables, yet still have room for some good chocolate and a couple of cups of tea a day. And I'm losing again!

I hope you can be happy while you do this. Find ways to make it work. If all the measuring and counting is new to you, it is bound to be tedious, but it does become less so rather quickly, and once you start seeing results from it, well, then the reasons for doing it become clear!

Good luck!
    Everything I eat has been proved by some doctor or other to be a deadly poison, and everything I don't eat has been proved to be indispensable for life. But I go marching on. ~George Bernard Shaw

Starting Weight (1/3/2011): 189
    Current Weight: 173

Goal: To be in the best shape ever by age 50! (5/11/2012)

Eva Lution is offline Member
    Anyone else get "The Primal Blueprint Insider" in their email today and notice it is about keeping an eye on macronutrients and calories via FitDay? Mark writes:

"If you've been eating Primal for long enough, you'll have an intuitive sense of what you're putting in your body. You'll be locked in and aware of the ratio, and if you stray from it - by eating a donut or a bagel or something - your body will probably let you know. But not everyone is like that. We all have to start somewhere, and, for some of us, a tool that tracks our caloric and macronutrient intake can be a huge help."

Sounds a lot like what has been being discussed in this thread for a couple of weeks.
    Everything I eat has been proved by some doctor or other to be a deadly poison, and everything I don't eat has been proved to be indispensable for life. But I go marching on. ~George Bernard Shaw

Starting Weight (1/3/2011): 189
    Current Weight: 173

Goal: To be in the best shape ever by age 50! (5/11/2012)

carres1973 is offline Senior Member
    For about the last 30 days I have been logging ALL food eaten into SparkPeople and keeping track of calories, carbs, fat, and protein. It gave me a range for all. I changed it for carbs because 1 - I felt it was too high and 2 - I got annoyed with it telling me not to fall for "fad" low-carb diets. The result - a loss of (so far) 11.4 pounds!!!

I am not purposely striving to hit my calorie budget, just would like to know roughly what I am taking in. I have counted calories in the past (eating CW foods and snacks) and invariably failed because I would scarf at night to make my total to my calorie budget (so I wouldn't go into "starvation mode"). Now, instead of doing that, I eat when hungry; stop when satisfied; repeat. There are times when I am not even close to my budget and other times when I am slightly over. I am usually over with grams of fat but that has more to do with healthy fats (and it counts total) as opposed to bad foods! Anyway, it all averages out and is working...HOORAY!!!

Carrie

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    I've had it with fitday!! I signed up for it over a year ago and quit, now I remember why. I put in "roast beef" and get "ChefBoyArDee" "roast duck" and "roast beef spread" but ... no roast beef! I put in beef roast and got roast beef, though. I put in eggs and have to do a thousand variations to find "egg, cooked" and then it overestimates the calories and underestimates the protein, compared to every other database I've seen for eggs. I assume that none of the calculations take into account the improved nutrient profile of naturally raised food, either, so the vitamin calculations will be way off and not useful.

How do you keep your sanity with these dumb things?

BTW, I'm doing whole30 and can't imagine not getting enough protein this way. Without dairy around, I'm eating more meat (organ meat included) than ever. Yum.

Still not calorie counting here, but I would like to know what macronutrient ratios I'm hitting.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

pattyd is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaGrok View Post

How do you keep your sanity with these dumb things?

Still not calorie counting here, but I would like to know what macronutrient ratios I'm hitting.
    I like Livestrong better than fitday. Although you have to pay for the macronutrient data and I`m not sure what the cost is because I just do the bare minimum of cals, carbs, fat and protein
    "Anxiety is a sign of spiritual insecurity"
    www.beachbodycoach.com/fatbusters

Page 65 of 71 FirstFirst ... 15556364656667 ... LastLast