Page 63 of 71 FirstFirst ... 13536162636465 ... LastLast

Thread: Reality check: Counting calories page 63

Enamel is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Hope your tinkering pays off!

svelting is offline Member
    In fact I was down 5 lbs!! I probably could up the calories. I've been doing 1400 calories as a minimum with an upper target of 1600. I'm not doing Paleo's 1 g protein per lbs of "hot on the beach" weight. Although I'm heavier (195) and taller than Robin/Paleobird, I am far less active -- only moving slowly 30-45 min/day. I'm targeting between 90 and 110 g protein and <75 g carb. I'll stick with it this week and see where I end up next week. For the Edwards Deming fans -- plan do check act; this week will be more doing then a check.

winencandy is offline Senior Member
    Today's Food
    10:45: cup left over ham, of the avocado I cut up yesterday
    12:00: 125g of blueberry & cranberry dark chocolate “clusters” OMG YUM!!!! (in the car)
    4:30: 2 (5 oz) glasses of white wine
    D: 2 lightly breaded cod fillets, a few french fries, a cereal bowl full of salad: cauliflower, red pepper, mushroom, carrot, garlic, balsamic, and olive oil. a mango

Lots of veggies, fruit & chocolate today. (consider it a carb re-feed day )
    Not enough protein.
    I didn't really "follow the plan" today.
    No counting!
    I'm full.
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

I've been sticking to around 1200 cals, 100g of protein, 50g carb and the rest fat (I'm 5'5" & 135) and feel pretty good. But, I'm having a hard time sleeping (I wake up 2 hrs after falling asleep and I'm hungry). I've always slept better eating close to bed, which I try not to do b/c I know it is not good for weight loss. Any thoughts? I've eaten 1 or 2 hardboiled eggs close to bedtime & it helps, but I don't want to shoot myself in the foot when I'm putting in all this effort.

Quote Originally Posted by svelting View Post
    In fact I was down 5 lbs!!
    Congrats!!
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paradisefound View Post
    I've been sticking to around 1200 cals, 100g of protein, 50g carb and the rest fat (I'm 5'5" & 135) and feel pretty good. But, I'm having a hard time sleeping (I wake up 2 hrs after falling asleep and I'm hungry). I've always slept better eating close to bed, which I try not to do b/c I know it is not good for weight loss. Any thoughts? I've eaten 1 or 2 hardboiled eggs close to bedtime & it helps, but I don't want to shoot myself in the foot when I'm putting in all this effort.
    Try 200-600 mg of magnesium citrate an hour before bed. I sleep like a baby now.

And, according to Johnny of LeanSaloon, it's just fine to eat before bed (it is a myth that it inhibits fat loss)--and that eating close to bed helps him to sleep better. His eating window is 4-11pm. He quotes some studies on his blog to support this. At 7% bodyfat, which he has maintained by IFing for over 2 years, I think he's got some great insight and he's done his research.

NourishedEm is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    And, according to Johnny of LeanSaloon, it's just fine to eat before bed (it is a myth that it inhibits fat loss)--and that eating close to bed helps him to sleep better. His eating window is 4-11pm. He quotes some studies on his blog to support this. At 7% bodyfat, which he has maintained by IFing for over 2 years, I think he's got some great insight and he's done his research.
    This just makes sense to me too. After a day of fasting, you're really hungry when you eat and then you rest and feel sleepy after. It seems to be a normal physiological reaction to get sleepy after a big evening meal. This happened to me last night, starving hungry by the time dinner rolled around at 8.30, ate my fill, lay down and fell asleep 1/2 hour later. I slept like a baby!

Kelda is offline Senior Member
    And the result ...

Last Sunday I weighed in at 60.6 kg (133.32 lbs)

This morning (one week on) after averaging 1774 calories a day with a 28%/11%/60% - protein/carb/fat split - (the missing 1% is the glass of red wine yesterday evening) and 4 hours of yoga, 5:30 cycling, a weights session, 1:30 walking and 1:15 swimming for exercise ...

58.9 kg (129.58 lbs) - 3.74 lbs lost :-)

I will continue tracking and report back next Sunday with averages and another weigh in!
    Seeking the natural way in a modern world ...

Kelda is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paradisefound View Post
    Below two very interesting (quite complicated but light-heartedly explained) posts with respect to sleep and appetite. 1200 cals is quite low but if you aren't very active or muscular not massively low. There's a lot more to feeling hungry than whether you have eaten enough as the two posts below begin to highlight, having other hormones out of whack is just one. 5-HTP (100 mgs in the morning) has made a big difference to me personally.

Evolutionary Psychiatry: Appetite Regulation and the Brain
    Evolutionary Psychiatry: The Neurobiology of Insomnia - How I Learned to *Start* Worrying and Love Orexin

Also here's some information about why allowing your body to be free of digestion over the night hours might be a good idea

io9. We come from the future.

And, Mark posted on this just recently ... Poor Sleep May Make You (and Your Liver) Fat | Mark's Daily Apple

This may, or may not ring any bells but I knew I'd been making some connections recently on this topic!
    Seeking the natural way in a modern world ...

I figured out my weeks' averages.

Calories: 1254
    Protein: 66 g
    Carbs: 69 g
    Fat: 71 g

Or: Protein 22 %, Carbs 24 %, Fat 50 %, Alcohol 4%

And the weight/measurement results? No change. Nothing. Nada. Zip.
    "Moderation sucks." Suse

Winencandy

Page 63 of 71 FirstFirst ... 13536162636465 ... LastLast