Page 61 of 71 FirstFirst ... 11515960616263 ... LastLast
Results 601 to 610 of 701

Thread: Reality check: Counting calories page 61

  1. #601
    winencandy's Avatar
    winencandy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    4,639
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by JenCat View Post
    So I, too, am focusing more on protein. I'm having a tough time. To get enough protein, it means eating when not hungry. That seems wrong, somehow, but it's the only way I can stuff it all in! Anyone having this problem?
    Yes. I have the same problem.
    And I agree. It seems wrong to eat when you are not hungry.
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield


    Winencandy

  2. #602
    winencandy's Avatar
    winencandy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    4,639
    Food
    L – a hard-boiled egg on the way into London.
    2:30 – another hard-boiled egg while we waited outside the recruiting office.
    3:30 a $tarbucks Tall Chai Latte with whole milk
    D – 3 oz red wine, 1 C chili, coconut heart

    CRONoMeter #s:

    Cal: 1045
    Protein: 41 g (17%) Pretty low today
    Carbs: 69g (28%) Pretty high today
    Fat: 57g (49%)

    I'm full.

    I remember earlier in this thread when I thought there was NO WAY I could only eat 1000 calories...

    Protein fills me up faster than carbs...
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield


    Winencandy

  3. #603
    winencandy's Avatar
    winencandy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    4,639
    Paleobird, Sorry you had a bad seafood experience
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield


    Winencandy

  4. #604
    Kelda's Avatar
    Kelda is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Northern Scotland
    Posts
    398
    Quote Originally Posted by pattyd View Post
    Please refresh my memory on how to figure LBM

    See what the scales say for your weight. Then you need some way of working out your bf, this is the more tricky bit as it's notoriously inaccurate but I've been caliper tested a number of times so have a reasonable idea although my scales always say I'm fatter. For the purposes of working out protein requirement I'm saying I want to be 16-18% bf at my goal weight. So my lean mass will be 84-82% of my goal weight (or if that's a lot lower than your current weight use your current weight or you could be too low on protein). Then if you are very active use 1 g per resulting lb, less active you can probably go nearer 0.7 g.
    Last edited by Kelda; 03-25-2011 at 02:22 AM.
    Seeking the natural way in a modern world ...

  5. #605
    Kelda's Avatar
    Kelda is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Northern Scotland
    Posts
    398
    Quote Originally Posted by winencandy View Post
    Food
    L – a hard-boiled egg on the way into London.
    2:30 – another hard-boiled egg while we waited outside the recruiting office.
    3:30 a $tarbucks Tall Chai Latte with whole milk
    D – 3 oz red wine, 1 C chili, coconut heart

    CRONoMeter #s:

    Cal: 1045
    Protein: 41 g (17%) Pretty low today
    Carbs: 69g (28%) Pretty high today
    Fat: 57g (49%)

    I'm full.

    I remember earlier in this thread when I thought there was NO WAY I could only eat 1000 calories...

    Protein fills me up faster than carbs...
    I'm finding it hard to follow some of your shorthand I assume you mean 1.5 cups of chilli? Are you eating any vegetables at all? Where are so many carbs coming from when I don't see fruit or veggies listed or is that the effect of the red wine/coconunt heart? Sorry if I'm being a bit dense, but why are you eating one meal a day (unless you count two eggs and a cup of tea a meal!), I would find it hard to eat more than 1,000 calories at a sitting when keeping the protein up and fat down a bit, but can easily eat a breakfast of around 500 calories then 10 hours later eat a dinner of around 1,000 especially if I've had some physical activity in between.

    Do you have weight/fat loss goals or are you in maintenance? I don't have time just now to scoot back through the whole thread and see your story but am interested in how this eating fits the overall scheme? On the face of that eating pattern (I realise it's only one day - and I see you had lunch and dinner the other day but still low calories overall) your body is quite likely to be sparing your body fat in favour of metabolising your protein because a) you aren't eating enough protein and b) you are eating a low level of energy. Unless you are really tiny of course :-). I guess protein powder is the best way of supplementing for all those who really do struggle with eating enough - and of course the oft mentioned BCAAs to keep the brain happy. I find salmon and eggs are a less filling way of meeting the numbers whereas I can struggle with too many large steaks!
    Last edited by Kelda; 03-25-2011 at 02:32 AM.
    Seeking the natural way in a modern world ...

  6. #606
    JenCat's Avatar
    JenCat is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    501
    I eat 4 eggs w/veggies and cheddar everyday. Yesterday, I forced myself to eat a 1/4 lb. grass-fed burger. Probably at at least another 1/4 lb (maybe 1/3) of ground beef for supper. In the evening, I had a few spoonfuls of Greek yogurt with some Primal Fuel mixed in. Didn't run the numbers, but I think that gets me pretty close.

  7. #607
    Kelda's Avatar
    Kelda is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Northern Scotland
    Posts
    398
    Today's eating ...

    On waking 50 g of drained prunes (this is an experiment to get the digestion moving - post travel or perhaps increased protein?!) with herbal tea
    Breakfast at 8:30 - 4 scrambled eggs, half small tomato, couple of mushrooms, 4 small rashers of grilled bacon, 75 g of lean ham, hebal tea
    85% allowance (!) 4 brazil nuts, decaff coffee with dash of double cream after a 6 mile walk mid afternoon
    Dinner 5:30 - 240 g of salmon, broccoli and carrots with a little butter (I had flex in the calories today)

    According to Fitday - 1,531 calories 103.0 g fat 60%, 34.0 g carbs 9%, 114.6 g protein 31%

    This is the most comfortable eating day so far and this seems the perfect macro balance for me. Eating a big breakfast and then a dinner seems to suit me very nicely and keeping those carbs down really does make a difference. No struggle at all to eat the protein on today's regime.

    Training - the 1:50 6 mile walk and will do 45 minutes of yoga before bed.

    Grok on!
    Seeking the natural way in a modern world ...

  8. #608
    winencandy's Avatar
    winencandy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    4,639
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelda View Post
    I'm finding it hard to follow some of your shorthand I assume you mean 1.5 cups of chilli?
    Yes. 1 and a 1/2 cups of chili.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kelda View Post
    Are you eating any vegetables at all? Where are so many carbs coming from when I don't see fruit or veggies listed or is that the effect of the red wine/coconunt heart?
    Normally I eat lots of veggies. Yesterday was not a typical day. I had an unplanned trip to the city.
    There was homemade stewed tomatoes, onions and mushrooms in the chili.

    Carbs:
    Eggs - 1 g
    Starbucks - 33 g
    3 oz red wine - 2 g
    Chili (with brown beans) - 31 g
    Coconut heart - 2 g

    Quote Originally Posted by Kelda View Post
    Sorry if I'm being a bit dense, but why are you eating one meal a day (unless you count two eggs and a cup of tea a meal!), I would find it hard to eat more than 1,000 calories at a sitting when keeping the protein up and fat down a bit, but can easily eat a breakfast of around 500 calories then 10 hours later eat a dinner of around 1,000 especially if I've had some physical activity in between.
    Again, this was not a typical day. I normally eat lunch and supper.
    I haven't eaten breakfast in years. I'm just not hungry in the morning.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kelda View Post
    Do you have weight/fat loss goals or are you in maintenance? I don't have time just now to scoot back through the whole thread and see your story but am interested in how this eating fits the overall scheme?
    I'm trying to lose. I am 46, 5' 1/2" tall and weigh 146 lbs. I've only lost 4 lbs since September with Primal.
    According to the #'s and the "plan" on this thread, I should be aiming for 1400 calories/day.
    Yesterday was not a typical day.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kelda View Post
    On the face of that eating pattern (I realise it's only one day - and I see you had lunch and dinner the other day but still low calories overall) your body is quite likely to be sparing your body fat in favour of metabolising your protein because a) you aren't eating enough protein and b) you are eating a low level of energy.
    I've spent months just eating primal without counting (ie easily higher calories). I'm trying this to see if it will do anything. 2 weeks in and I lost 2 lbs.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kelda View Post
    Unless you are really tiny of course :-).
    Well...I'm petite. But as I tell my Farmer, petite means short
    I'm pretty sure 146 lbs can't be considered tiny...

    Quote Originally Posted by Kelda View Post
    I guess protein powder is the best way of supplementing for all those who really do struggle with eating enough - and of course the oft mentioned BCAAs to keep the brain happy. I find salmon and eggs are a less filling way of meeting the numbers whereas I can struggle with too many large steaks!
    Before I tried this I was eating lots of veggies but not enough protein. In order to get the amount of protein this formula says I "need", I would have to give up all veggies just to eat enough. I'm not prepared to do that. (ignoring yesterday)
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield


    Winencandy

  9. #609
    Kelda's Avatar
    Kelda is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Northern Scotland
    Posts
    398
    @winencandy - thanks for that comprehensive answer :-)

    As you are finding it hard to eat the amount of protein that either the Mark formula or this (higher version system) suggests it seems like a protein powder might be the answer for you at least that way you are avoiding continually recycling your muscles rather than burning your fat Dr Eades has a post about ketones which talks about the whole muscle sacrificing system. Yes, 146 lbs at 5 inches less than me isn't really tiny! Have you tried adding protein this way?
    Seeking the natural way in a modern world ...

  10. #610
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelda View Post
    This is the most comfortable eating day so far and this seems the perfect macro balance for me. Eating a big breakfast and then a dinner seems to suit me very nicely and keeping those carbs down really does make a difference. No struggle at all to eat the protein on today's regime.
    Yes, I have found that some of the old CW about breakfast being important is true. Eating a substantial, protein filled breakfast makes getting enough protein possible without giving up veggies or stuffing yourself.

Page 61 of 71 FirstFirst ... 11515960616263 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •