Page 54 of 71 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664 ... LastLast

Thread: Reality check: Counting calories page 54

winencandy is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    While we wait for the genius to come up with the answer to life, the universe, and everything,
    Don't panic!
    We already know the answer.

Last edited by winencandy; 03-18-2011 at 06:35 PM. Reason: iPhone typing :)
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by winencandy View Post
    Don't panic!
    We already know the answer.
    I wondered if anyone would get that reference. I like you

NourishedEm is offline Senior Member
    Here's what I think (and of course, all the intelligent people on the forum will agree with me ).

The arguments against calorie counting don't tend to take into account the nutrients in the food being eaten. In and of itself, calorie counting could be a waste of time, if you are restricting nutritious foods, which a lot of calorie-controlled diets tend to do (you can eat a whole packet of fat-free crackers if you don't have that teaspoon of cod liver oil). The body simply cannot do without certain nutrients and it will invoke a 'starvation response' (for lack of a better term), because the body is starved of certain nutrients it needs.
    If you eat a nutritious diet, including enough protein, organ meats, the vitamins and minerals in vegetables and the fats our bodies need for optimal functioning, all while creating a energy deficit; Why would the body need to create a starvation response? Why could we not change our 'setpoint' if our body is nourished?

This is why, in my opinion, what Paleobird is doing will work. She has been eating a very nutritious diet for a while now and has no nutritional imbalances, she is still including a varied amounts of foods in her diet, including organ meats, plenty of vegetables and enough healthy fat and she is exercising sensibly, including moving slowly, lifting heavy and occasional sprinting. Her body has no reason to stubbornly hold on to extra bodyfat because it is in no way malnourished or 'starving.'

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by NourishedEm View Post
    Here's what I think (and of course, all the intelligent people on the forum will agree with me ).
    Yes, we do. You hit the nail on the head.

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by winencandy View Post
    I wasn't bloated. Since becoming primal I only bloat if I have grains.
    I think (hope) it was fat
    Alas, I can't steal whatever your trick was, then, if it was fat and not bloating. I can't get it to go away. No grains at all, and I'm still getting bloated. A week of nothing but chicken broth w/ boiled meat & veggies, and still bloated. Gah!
    Nope, all free range and organic plus much tastier than a capsule.
    I'll definitely have to check that out. I was asking about where they range b/c so many deer are technically free range, of course, but are eating from GMO and that ain't good!
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

Paleobird Guest
    I read and ate by a very interesting book called Diet Evolution for over a year before finding PB. Dr. Stephen Gundry the author, talks about cravings for food as the logical, "keep looking" response when our bodies are not properly nourished. It's very possible to be overfed but undernourished. It's SAD. If the body is lacking in something, it will send you a signal to keep eating because maybe what it needs is on that next bush or that next tree. The cravings aren't specific to one food but people usually interpret them to be for their favorites. The body is just saying "keep looking".

But I think it is also possible to be overfed and undernourished on PB if one goes "hog wild" with the fat. You get to satiety and stop eating but leave out essential nutrients and protein. I think this could be the source of many a craving.

animalcule is offline Senior Member
    MamaGrok, I still get bloated from too many liquids, especially if I sip a lot and drink with my meals. My gastroenterologist suggested this might be an issue for me years ago, I thought she was crazy... until I tried not drinking more than a little liquid with meals, and drinking my water for the day in large amounts three or four times a day rather than sipping, sipping, all day long. I think I swallow a lot of air with my liquids involuntarily. She also said that constant liquid intake can lead to overproduction/dis-regulation of stomach juices, etc.

I also get bloated from nothing when I'm having hormonal issues. Rarely now as I've been primal for a good while. I don't have kids but in the past I had problems with irregular cycles and possible ovarian cysts.

animalcule is offline Senior Member
    *double post
    Last edited by animalcule; 03-18-2011 at 07:39 PM.

runnergal is offline Senior Member
    But I think it is also possible to be overfed and undernourished on PB if one goes "hog wild" with the fat. You get to satiety and stop eating but leave out essential nutrients and protein. I think this could be the source of many a craving.
    I've noticed repeatedly that between 55% and 65% fat I seem to be ok. Get above that and my satiety starts decreasing rapidly.
    MTA: because it is rare I dont have more to say

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by runnergal View Post
    I've noticed repeatedly that between 55% and 65% fat I seem to be ok. Get above that and my satiety starts decreasing rapidly.
    Yep, because all that yummy fat is edging out the protein and nutrients your body needs so it is telling you, "go on, keep foraging, I need something, I just don't have a way to tell you exactly what."

Page 54 of 71 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664 ... LastLast