Page 50 of 71 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast

Thread: Reality check: Counting calories page 50

Diedelser is offline Member
    Shop Now
    Razzzzwell
    I see you have good intentions, but stop pushing your position and recomendations over paleobird (and everybody?), she is in a stage where counting calories is working for her, so let it be. Right now, she is counting calories as a tool to reach her goal and if, with 1300 calories she is not feeling hunger, is dropping weigth and feeling good, then she is in the right path. I also noticed that paleobird is open-minded so I guess she will eventually make the changes and adjustment when hitting another plateau.

I dislike authorities, we don't need gurus nor authorities to find our own path. Remember conventional wisdom authority was what brought us here. Friedman, Bacon et all, have good theories, but we are talking here about practice and theories doesn't always equal practice. We are free to take what work for us, after we test it. In regards of your health you are your own authority.

And finally I don't count calories as a result of my own experience (but at some stage I did it too for a short time), but each one is unique and need to figure out what works for him in his current condition. My condition was: I hasn't a broken metabolism nor I was under any prescribed medicine, so it would be irresponsible, trying to push the theories and practices that I used to reach my goal, to others.

I share a lot of the thinking and owe my introduction to the paleo movement to Richard Nikoley and Mark Sisson, but they don't represent authority for me, since there are things we disagree and that they had implemented that didn't worked for me. Indeed I read lots of blogs like the formed ones plus Stephan Guyenet, Kurt Harris, Don Matez, Chris Masterjohn, Peter Dobromylskyj, Chris Kresser, etc, just to name a few, and they all have some common ground but also diverge opinions, and from their blogs I got links to studies and research like the ones of Dr. Friedman, but also to anothers that opposed it, that is why in the end, you are the last authority in your own health. Because theory and research can say anything but you will never know until you test it in yourself.

Finally I will reccomend here some good reads, about counting calories and authorities, for people who feel identified with my philosophy:

About counting calories: 1. Girl Gone Primal: Like An Animal
    2. Diet Obsession | Free The Animal

And about authority and paleo dogmatism: The Paleo Principle is Neither Authoritative nor Dogmatic | Free The Animal
    Rephrasing the famous Socrates quote: "All I know is that I know nothing" and about that fact, I am still not so sure.

Greetings! from Jorge from Venezuela.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by winencandy View Post
    Progress report!

Weight: 146!!!

Since Feb 26 (my last weigh/measure), I have LOST 2 lbs!!!!
    I know that doesn't seem like a lot, but I was “stuck” at 148 for months!

So, SOMETHING is working!

I started “Counting Calories” on March 1st
    I stomped my foot and whined and pouted, but I started.

I increased my protein.

And I put more emphasis into exercise and running.

So which was it????
    Yay WnC!!!!!! Doesn't it feel good to get unstuck?
    In answer to the which was it question : All of the above.
    Increased protein, sensible calorie limits, and more exercise. Getting over the job situation probably helped too in terms of better and more sleep.

I've lost 7 count them 7! pounds and they are staying off.

Besides, 2 lbs is a much bigger deal on your tiny little frame size than on my Amazonian one.
    Last edited by Paleobird; 03-18-2011 at 10:29 AM.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Razzzzwell View Post
    Dear Paleo
    I am very sorry you developed a very serious disease. Disease states in general make it particularly hard when people are trying to lose weight. (although I know that was last on your mind)
    Medications for these various diseases can also make it extremely difficult to lose weight .
    Medications can disrupt our fat regulation systems strongly, and our axis that controls sleep, blood pressure etc. Chemotheraphy is massively strong medication , as is Neoral Cyclosporine ( heart transplant drug) . Those medications can literally change people's builds around. I've seen it. The effects can last for years sometimes.
    Dr. Evans, who is one of Dr. Friedman's collegaues, discusses this topic in the question and answer segment of the lecture.
    There are more than 3 BILLION prescriptions written a year in the United States. That number was from 2002, so it is far more now. This is one thing that has changed since 50 or more years back , as well as sleep habits. All of this contributes to obesity.
    Avandia, prednisone, anti- depressants etc. (there are many, more) are some drugs that also cause massive weight gain.
    Urgelt of YouTube has great cancer videos and obesity video. Have a look.
    Urgelt and Jon Gabriel bnoth have some great things to say about obesity. Urgelt is one of the most intelligent individuals I ever spoke with.
    You don't need to tell me how tough it is to have cancer. I know.

The question then becomes, do I let an illness from which I am now completely recovered rule and ruin the rest of my life or do I take charge and make the changes I want to see. I am not going to sit around whining about the past. I'm moving forward.

Enamel is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I've lost 7 count them 7! pounds and they are staying off.
    That's awesome! Seems like you're getting fast results with just a relatively easy change - what could be better?

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by imasin View Post
    This is a very useful thread! I've kind of hit a weight plateau myself around 155 lbs, and being 5'1", getting to a 'normal' weight would mean <135 lbs. But I know my 'plateau' is my own fault because I don't stick to PB consistently; I vacillate between periods of nearly 100% compliance and periods of eating junk. I know it's because I have some food issues to work through. I also have to deal with PCOS/insulin resistance/nutritional deficiencies. I intended to do a PB challenge in March but I've been doing a bad job of it in the past week. Part of my challenge, however, did include exercising every day, and I have been doing that and still noticing improved definition.

At my highest I weighed 200 pounds... I got down to 180 slowly just by cutting out the constant sugary junk (and with the help of insulin-sensitizing medication). I know I was 170 back at the end of July, which was shortly after I'd started Primal. So I think Primal helped me lose about 20 pounds 'effortlessly,' and I've maintained since on a loosely-Primal diet, and now I have to comply to it better than I have before in order to see more changes, as well as include more exercise I think. Once I get to long-term compliance I can start figuring out the calories. It's really useful to know that I need to make sure to get in my 400-600 calories of protein every day though.
    I'm all for getting the PB really dialed in before thinking about calorie restriction. And definitely, get your other health conditions healed up first. That said, at the beginning of this thread people were trying to castigate me for my minor and infrequent indulgences like a glass of wine or square of dark chocolate as if some miraculous change was going to happen merely by giving up those little things. So, don't beat yourself up too much about PB nazi level strict "compliance". Now if you were eating donuts by the dozen that's different....

Paleobird Guest
    [QUOTE=Dr. Bork Bork;378218]I went bananas eating coconut oil my first month, now I gag if I try to eat it , but cook with it just fine.
    Me too. C oil was like crack for me.

pattyd is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Diedelser View Post

My condition was: I hasn't a broken metabolism nor I was under any prescribed medicine, so it would be irresponsible, trying to push the theories and practices that I used to reach my goal, to others.

Finally I will reccomend here some good reads, about counting calories and authorities, for people who feel identified with my philosophy:

About counting calories: 1. Girl Gone Primal: Like An Animal
    2. Diet Obsession | Free The Animal

And about authority and paleo dogmatism: The Paleo Principle is Neither Authoritative nor Dogmatic | Free The Animal
    Thank you for the links you provided. I think we are on the same page in regards to our weights and thoughts on food. I have never been obese or struggled with more than 20 lbs of excess fat so I know I can`t expect the same fat loss results that the people who have/had more weight to lose. It is such a wild ride when trying and testing different WOE and thoughts and theories and trying to find what your own personal body works best with. Again, thanks for the links
    "Anxiety is a sign of spiritual insecurity"
    www.beachbodycoach.com/fatbusters

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Diedelser View Post
    Razzzzwell
    I see you have good intentions, but stop pushing your position and recomendations over paleobird (and everybody?), she is in a stage where counting calories is working for her, so let it be. Right now, she is counting calories as a tool to reach her goal and if, with 1300 calories she is not feeling hunger, is dropping weigth and feeling good, then she is in the right path. I also noticed that paleobird is open-minded so I guess she will eventually make the changes and adjustment when hitting another plateau.

In the end, you are the last authority in your own health. Because theory and research can say anything but you will never know until you test it in yourself.
    Gracias hermoso. I couldn't have said it better in my first language.

pattyd is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    So, don't beat yourself up too much about PB nazi level strict "compliance". Now if you were eating donuts by the dozen that's different....
    Yes, it`s all about a lifestyle you can live with forever I keep telling my friends this over and over and over. Will they ever listen?? LOL
    "Anxiety is a sign of spiritual insecurity"
    www.beachbodycoach.com/fatbusters

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by pattyd View Post
    I have never been obese or struggled with more than 20 lbs of excess fat so I know I can`t expect the same fat loss results that the people who have/had more weight to lose. It is such a wild ride when trying and testing different WOE and thoughts and theories and trying to find what your own personal body works best with.)
    Yes, I think it's about different stages in the weight loss journey. What works at one stage doesn't at another. Right now, I can't blame the extra 23 pounds I'm carrying on my experience with cancer. They were here before the cancer. Because of having been sick, I have been tested, poked, prodded and examined every which way from Sunday and I'm perfectly healthy. Now it's just a matter of settling for an OK body or making an effort and some smarter choices and having an awesome one. I'm going for awesomeness.

Page 50 of 71 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast