Page 43 of 71 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast

Thread: Reality check: Counting calories page 43

carres1973 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I must be one of the strange ones then. I have quite a bit to lose and I STRUGGLE for EVERY pound and have, no matter which approach I try. I am currently doing what would be considered very low calorie for my weight, low carb, medium fat, and medium protein and finally losing. It shouldn't be this hard! I have NOOOO problem gaining weight. Why is losing it, even a pound a week, so damned hard??!!

Carrie

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by carres1973 View Post
    I have NOOOO problem gaining weight. Why is losing it, even a pound a week, so damned hard??!!
    Nobody said it would be easy, just that is is doable. Keep your chin up.

Not knowing all your particulars, these are the first questions that come to mind.
    1) Have you seen a doctor to see if there are any heath conditions (e.g. thyroid issues, IBS) which could be thwarting you?
    2) Ditto about nutritional deficiencies?
    3) Are you getting enough exercise. OK, then try a little more than "enough"?
    4) Are you really living all 10 of the PB principals, sun rest, stress, play, etc.?
    5) Are you still dealing with carb addictions, cravings, binging?

Like I said before, this calorie counting program I'm doing is only for people who have all other physical and psychological conditions, syndromes, deficiencies, metabolic derangements etc. all taken care of and people who really have all the other aspects of PB "down cold". If you are running in ketosis on a regular basis, calorie restriction is not that hard to do. But get into ketosis FIRST, THEN think about calories.

You can do it. Don't give up.

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    carres1973 - could it be your definition of a reasonable pace for fat loss? I'm considering my loss effortless because I've only had to change my diet ... but it has taken a year to lose 40 pounds. That's way less than a pound a week, yet it seems effortless to me because I'm not going hungry and I'm not exercising. I'm only eating well and waiting. Based on what you said, it struck me that some could consider that a lack of success since it's not the "standard" pound/week, and so I was wondering if outlook could be part of the issue for you?
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

moo
    moo is offline Senior Member
    This was the post I was reading regarding what Mark eats.

I Can’t Eat Anything! | Mark's Daily Apple

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaGrok View Post
    I'm considering my loss effortless because I've only had to change my diet ... but it has taken a year to lose 40 pounds. That's way less than a pound a week, yet it seems effortless to me because I'm not going hungry and I'm not exercising. I'm only eating well and waiting. some could consider that a lack of success since it's not the "standard" pound/week
    Nobody said it had to be a pound a week to be considered successful. I said that that is a sustainable pace and that is what I am trying to do. I don't think that much more than that would be sustainable, even 2 lbs/wk is pushing it IMO.

I lost the first half of what I wanted to lose just like you. It was lovely. I wasn't in any hurry and I was also getting a lot of healing done at that time after dealing with multiple surgeries and chemo. Then comes the brick wall. I could decide to be content with an OK body or I can make an effort to have an awesome one. It's worth the effort for me.

You might want to bookmark this thread for later when your brick wall shows up.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by moo View Post
    This was the post I was reading regarding what Mark eats.

I Can’t Eat Anything! | Mark's Daily Apple
    Thanks, Moo. I noticed how he was talking about steamed, stir fried, or baked entrees and no added fat anywhere other than the minimum needed for cooking. He get's away with the H&H in his coffee because he already looks like a Roman God.

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    I was referring to this:
    I must be one of the strange ones then. I have quite a bit to lose and I STRUGGLE for EVERY pound and have, no matter which approach I try. I am currently doing what would be considered very low calorie for my weight, low carb, medium fat, and medium protein and finally losing. It shouldn't be this hard! I have NOOOO problem gaining weight. Why is losing it, even a pound a week, so damned hard??!!
    which I thought was carres saying that she(?) was still in the very overweight category and had never had any kind of easy loss. Then I kept reading and saw what looked like a very different view of "a pound a week" than I have. I'd be thrilled to have a pound a week.

I wasn't disagreeing with what you're saying *at all*. It seemed to me like the poster I was responding to was saying that averaging less than a pound a week wouldn't be good progress - I was trying to find out if that's what she was implying. Apologies for the lack of clarity, and if I misread anything carres was saying.
    Last edited by MamaGrok; 03-15-2011 at 07:03 PM.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

Paleobird Guest
    No apologies needed, Mamagrok. I just wanted to make it clear to you, carres, and anybody else reading that I never said 1lb/wk is the only definition of success.

As I said before, I feel a certain sense of responsibility for things that get "put out there" on this thread. I don't want someone to try to follow me down this path if it is not right for them or do it in a way that could be harmful to their health.

Greensprout is offline Senior Member
    Paleobird;

I'm curious. You've been in ketosis for quite a while, so are well into the zone for efficient burning of stored fat. You've increased protein while reducing fat, and are currently feeling satisfied and filled on 1200-1300 cal daily. I don't think you were tracking macros before, but what did your total calorie intake and macros look like before you made these changes?

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Greensprout View Post
    Paleobird;

I'm curious. You've been in ketosis for quite a while, so are well into the zone for efficient burning of stored fat. You've increased protein while reducing fat, and are currently feeling satisfied and filled on 1200-1300 cal daily. I don't think you were tracking macros before, but what did your total calorie intake and macros look like before you made these changes?
    Yeah, I'm at that point Eades describes where the body can either burn stored fat or dietary fat but it will choose dietary fat first. Before I made these changes, I wasn't tracking but reverse engineering it from what I am hitting now I can guess-timate. I was probably eating about 2400 cal/day with maybe a 30/15/55 ratio of protein/carb/fat. Now its 1400ish with ratios of 40/15/45. So I just moved some from the fat column to the protein and curtailed the overall quantity.

Page 43 of 71 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast