Page 42 of 71 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast

Thread: Reality check: Counting calories page 42

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    I never track anything (might do a week or two to see what it's all about...) but wasn't Johnny purposely trying to LOSE muscle mass? I distinctly recall him saying he wasn't liking his "ripped but too muscular" look, and that he was going to change his eating and workout habits to make that change. So he ate less protein, and probably found that he wasn't losing the muscle mass as easily as he thought reducing protein would do, but I'm assuming the body doesn't want to easily let go of muscle mass, especially if you use your muscles.
    Johnny didn't change his diet (he never counted calories or macros, anyway) He just stopped lifting so heavy.

moo
    moo is offline Senior Member
    Brahnamin - I completely understand where you are coming from on that. I think those with that much weight to lose are probably the ones to benefit from a diet loaded with fat and we have seen plenty of that here and some dang good results from doing just that. I think the gap just minimizes once one gets closer to their ideal weight. Fat will still have great importance, just less of it overall.

bodhimama is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Because it can't be quoted too many times : The Blog of Michael R. Eades, M.D. » Low-carb and calories

This article explains why initial weight loss happens but then fizzles on low carb diets. It made everything make sense for the first time for me. Please read it.

This article explains the WHY of calorie restriction. So, I guess if I had to distill all the things we have shared and learned in this thread down to “a plan” for HOW to do calorie restriction, this would be it.

1)Make sure caloric restriction is right for you (see my above post)

2)Figure out your BMR This is the amount of calories you need to just maintain. Google “BMR calculator”. There are a bunch of them out there. A good one will have an activity multiplier so that you can factor in how active you are into your caloric needs. (You have to be honest, however, can’t say, “moderately active”, just because you mean to get that way someday.)

3)Once you have your BMR, figure out how fast you want to lose weight. A good rule of thumb is a 500 calorie /day deficit means about 1 lb of fat /week shed. This is sustainable. So BMR minus your deficit number gives you your target calories for each day.

Example of steps 1-3 for me:
    All the BMR calculators averaged out to just a bit over 2000/day-500 so I am shooting for a maximum of 1500 calories a day.

4)Figure out your ideal weight. This is your “hot stuff in swim wear (HSIS)” weight. It doesn’t have to be what you are really aiming for right now but it is a way to determine your protein needs. You can determine this by a BMI calculator. There are lots of those as well. Your HSIS weight in pounds is the number of grams of protein you need. 1 gram of protein=4 calories.

Example for me: I looked really hot at on the beach at 18 and then I weighed 150 pounds. 150 is also the average of what all the fancy BMI calculators tell me I should be. So I need to shoot for 150 grams of protein a day. That is about 600 calories.

5)Target calories-protein needs gives you what you have left to “play with” between carbs and fats. Getting your protein is like paying your rent/mortgage. It has to come first. If you eat less carbs you get to have more fat. But whatever you do, don’t skimp on the protein.

I think this is where a lot of people on PB are messing up. They get caught up in all the yummy fats and then are satiated long before they get enough protein in them.

Example of me : 1500/day target total-600 protein=900 between carb and fat.

1 gram fat=9 calories 1 gram carb=4 calories 1 gram protein=4 calories

So, my daily budget works out to about 600 cal protein, 200 cal carb, and 700 of fat a ratio of 40%/15%/45%. (I like to stay VLC <50 grams of carb/day. This may or may not be for you.)

6) The “trick” is getting the amount of protein you need without going “over-budget” on calories.

This means three things:

a)”Leaner,meaner” choices in protein sources. Think eggs, bison, venison, rabbit, lean game birds.
    b)Leaner cuts of meat. Think flank steak instead of brisket. Beef heart jerky is great. Put bacon on hold for a while. (I know it’s hard. )
    c)Not adding gratuitous fat onto food like gobs of mayo, cooking oil, and butter. Just appreciate the food itself.

Nobody is advocating going all fat phobic Pritikin style here. There is still plenty of fat in the protein sources. As you see, mine is 45% of my daily intake.

7)Track your daily numbers on any one of the many programs out there. I have found Sparkpeople to be the most user friendly. It allows you to enter a whole recipe (e.g. a stew) and then gives you the numbers by portion.

There can be some light bulb moments like making egg salad with 3 eggs and 3 spoons of mayo and then finding out the mayo has way more calories than the eggs. I could have had 6 eggs. Also, who knew that carrots had so many carbs in them? These are things you find out by tracking so you can make some smarter choices as to what you eat.

I have been averaging about 1300-1400 calories a day and I don’t feel in the least bit hungry. My workouts have been better than ever and I credit it to the increased protein.

And I’ve dropped 6 lbs.

Grok on, all.

Robin
    That's awesome. Thanks for sharing this. It completely makes sense to me - I also had trouble losing on a completely primal diet. But I was always eating cheese or dairy, and a lot of fat. I know nuts are a no-no for me when trying to lose - or even trying not to gain. And even when I did a Whole30, I didn't lose even mildly till I cut down on the sunbutter.

Soooo interesting. And congrats on the weight loss!

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Razzzzwell View Post
    The problem is what often gets lost in the discussion is that we have very little control over "energy balance". Our bodies weight regulation systems are operate over years, not meal to meal day to day or month to month. No one can concisouly match the MILLIONS calories taken in to the calories expended pover a year, let alone 3 years. Calorie labesl are not even accurate. You'd be off by 12 % at least ( not that this matters)

Studies from all over the world show the vast ,majority of peopl's weight remains stable over a decade

So actually counting claories is a futile attemt to lose weight long term.

There are many. many more unknowns about obesity than knowns.
    I'm sorry but this is just one big cop out. You can't just abdicate responsibility for your body because things are complex. And I don't think it takes a genius to figure out that if you eat a package of bacon a day you will not lose weight.
    Last edited by Paleobird; 03-15-2011 at 05:02 PM.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    And I don't think it take a genius to figure out that if you eat a package of bacon a day you will not lose weight.
    Challenge accepted!!

The only question remaining is, which bacon company should I approach to sponsor my experiment of eating nothing but one package of bacon a day [ 1POBAD is born !!! ] to prove that I can lose weight thus boost their sales + make me famous as "that bacon guy" for all of 15 minutes??

Real talk: I'm eating less bacon IRL in an attempt to clean up my diet a little bit.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by brahnamin View Post
    Well, Mark is in maintenance mode.

I found that a super-high fat diet was an awesome way to break into primal without suffering carb flu and other setbacks, I've since moved more toward a higher protein/not so high fat (but still VLC) approach.
    Yes, I think somewhere back a ways in this thread I called bacon methadone for carb junkies. If that's what keeps you sane while you detox, I'm all for it.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    Challenge accepted!!

The only question remaining is, which bacon company should I approach to sponsor my experiment of eating nothing but one package of bacon a day [ 1POBAD is born !!! ] to prove that I can lose weight thus boost their sales + make me famous as "that bacon guy" for all of 15 minutes??

Real talk: I'm eating less bacon IRL in an attempt to clean up my diet a little bit.
    First we had Banana Boy and now Bacon Boy?!?!?!???! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Unicorn View Post
    Can someone point me in the direction of Mark's blog post? I have seen it referenced twice today, but can't seem to find it!
    I think this is the one : A Week in the Life of Mark Sisson | Mark&#039;s Daily Apple

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by moo View Post
    I won't budge if I eat bacon every day. I won't budge if I slather everything in coconut oil. Perhaps I fall into the blog post about eating so much fat that your body won't burn body fat for fuel, instead relies on the fat on your fork. I really do feel that is the case with me.

now that I am basically only using fat to cook with instead of adding extra, I think this is probably knocking my calories down a few notches. Quite a few. Bacon is something that I can't handle and it always makes me feel like I ate a brick.

Most notably Mark's BAS. Drizzled with balsamic vinegar. No mention of fat at all unless I missed it.
    Exactly. I think Mark drizzled "vinegrette " dressing on his salads which does have some EVOO but the key word there is DRIZZLE not SLOSH.

Paleobird Guest
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelda View Post
    Of course when you have been eating on the Standard Diet with high carbs you are going to drop weight 'effortlessly' when you are massively overweight but for those of us looking for body composition readjustment, or nearing the end of the weight loss process or stalling having already lost a chunk and working perfectly with fat burning bodies.

I'm actually surprised how much protein I can (have to) eat and I did work it out originally too, never mind, better late than never!
    This. At my heaviest I was 210 and I'm aiming for 150 so 60 total. The first 30 melted off like a coconut oil sculpture in the sun just by kicking the carbs to the curb. Then it stalled. The last 30 are going to require some more effort.

Yes, if you focus on getting your protein needs taken care of first without maxing out on calories, that comes out to being a lot of satisfying food.

Page 42 of 71 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast