Page 41 of 71 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast

Thread: Reality check: Counting calories page 41

Kelda is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Paleobird - Canary Islands off coast of southern Moroccan/Western Saharan border - so it should be warmer than this! 19 today but so windy it feels cold :-(

Bodhi - ditto Paleobird's comments - thanks, and it took me back to check out a part of PB and of course Mark uses the system, somehow it had slipped my memory in what I can only assume was bacon-europhia!

NorishedEm - ah, yes, I know the area well, used to race triathlon around there, Helensburgh, Loch Lomond and Erskine. Mr Grok is RAF, we are posted at Kinloss (the ill-fated) but he's near retirement now so 'no worries' :-).
    Seeking the natural way in a modern world ...

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by john_e_turner_ii View Post
    Dragonfly, I agree with Johnny from the Lean Saloon on this. I stopped tracking protein since November, and I am still able to maintain and gain strength and muscle. Some days I get 50 grams of protein, others maybe 130 or more. It varies, but I don't try to get in any certain amount. I believe my body will produce the muscle it needs based on the exertion I put forth rather than so much by what I consume. In my opinion, the protein requirements will soon be one of those old myths much like needing to eat every three hours in order to prevent muscle wasting. At least this has been my experience. Maybe others are different.
    I never track anything (might do a week or two to see what it's all about...) but wasn't Johnny purposely trying to LOSE muscle mass? I distinctly recall him saying he wasn't liking his "ripped but too muscular" look, and that he was going to change his eating and workout habits to make that change. So he ate less protein, and probably found that he wasn't losing the muscle mass as easily as he thought reducing protein would do, but I'm assuming the body doesn't want to easily let go of muscle mass, especially if you use your muscles.

I always just make protein the focus of my meal and think of veggies as sides, and starches as energy sources, though I'm easing on the starches for right now because I could have them daily yet not workout hard enough to NEED them daily.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelda View Post
    Bodhi - ditto Paleobird's comments - thanks, and it took me back to check out a part of PB and of course Mark uses the system, somehow it had slipped my memory in what I can only assume was bacon-europhia!
    Hah! BACON EUPHORIA!!!! Did you ever see the cult classic "Reefer Madness" ? Well, I'm thinking a remake called "Bacon Mania".

But seriously, I think if all the people who will find reasons not to face this issue would just go back and really read the PB, there would be a lot less objection to the whole idea of calorie counting. It's all in there. Protein portions, calorie targets. Mark never said to stick your face in a pound of bacon a day. I want to make this point clear. In no way was I ever questioning what is actually in the book. The "effortless weight loss" thing on the cover is just marketing and I don't begrudge Mark a way to make a living especially with all of the free resources he provides here. I think the "Let's all just eat lots of yummy fat and be happy (and then wonder why we don't lose weight)" mentality is something that I think is created in the echo chamber of the forum. I don't think it's Mark's fault.

But perhaps it might be time for Mark to do a post about this subject. Hey Mark? What do you think?

Kelda is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Hah! BACON EUPHORIA!!!! Did you ever see the cult classic "Reefer Madness" ? Well, I'm thinking a remake called "Bacon Mania". NO! LOL!

But perhaps it might be time for Mark to do a post about this subject. Hey Mark? What do you think?
    Yes, I was thinking the same, in fact I was going to email him and send him this thread link because I think it's been really interesting and many of us have fallen into the same trap and as you say, not Mark's fault! Of course when you have been eating a gazillion calories on the Standard Diet with high carbs you are going to drop weight 'effortlessly' when you are massively overweight but for those of us looking for body composition readjustment, or nearing the end of the weight loss process or stalling having already lost a chunk and working perfectly with fat burning bodies, it's crucial to understand the basics! I'm actually surprised how much protein I can (have to) eat and I did work it out originally too, never mind, better late than never!
    Seeking the natural way in a modern world ...

moo
    moo is offline Senior Member
    I just actually read Mark's blog post on what he eats and actually it is quite different than what is redundant here: fat, fat, fat, bacon, fatty meats, coconut oil by the spoonful etc.

I tend to agree with him on that mostly due to personal experience. I won't budge if I eat bacon every day. I won't budge if I slather everything in coconut oil. Perhaps I fall into the blog post about eating so much fat that your body won't burn body fat for fuel, instead relies on the fat on your fork. I really do feel that is the case with me.

I don't need to lose weight, I just want to lose some body fat. Tuning down the fat has definitely helped there. Calorie wise, I have zero idea what I am taking in daily but I know it was in the 1900-2200 range but now that I am basically only using fat to cook with instead of adding extra, I think this is probably knocking my calories down a few notches. Quite a few. Bacon is something that I can't handle and it always makes me feel like I ate a brick.

Most notably Mark's BAS. Drizzled with balsamic vinegar. No mention of fat at all unless I missed it.

denise is offline Senior Member
    oh noooo, I think I feel an episode of calorie counting coming on. Ugh.

I always said NEVER again, BUT "the battle of the bum" is not going my way and maybe I now feel well enough to give it some attention?

Now, where are all those pieces of data on calorie content, grams of macros etc that I threw away.

and I suppose I have to dig out the scales again. Now THAT could be "interesting".

moo
    moo is offline Senior Member
    Denise why are you thinking of counting calories again?

You are seeing progress? I know you said no more weighing, counting etc ............. I personally don't think you need to resort back to that if you are seeing progress.

Unicorn is offline Senior Member
    Can someone point me in the direction of Mark's blog post? I have seen it referenced twice today, but can't seem to find it!

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by moo View Post
    I just actually read Mark's blog post on what he eats and actually it is quite different than what is redundant here: fat, fat, fat, bacon, fatty meats, coconut oil by the spoonful etc.

I tend to agree with him on that mostly due to personal experience. I won't budge if I eat bacon every day. I won't budge if I slather everything in coconut oil. Perhaps I fall into the blog post about eating so much fat that your body won't burn body fat for fuel, instead relies on the fat on your fork. I really do feel that is the case with me.

I don't need to lose weight, I just want to lose some body fat. Tuning down the fat has definitely helped there. Calorie wise, I have zero idea what I am taking in daily but I know it was in the 1900-2200 range but now that I am basically only using fat to cook with instead of adding extra, I think this is probably knocking my calories down a few notches. Quite a few. Bacon is something that I can't handle and it always makes me feel like I ate a brick.

Most notably Mark's BAS. Drizzled with balsamic vinegar. No mention of fat at all unless I missed it.
    +1 I think the whole “I cook everything in a vat of butter and I’m losing weight” only works for those that have a lot of weight to lose and only up until a certain point. Carbs of course playing a part here, I think you can “get away” with going crazy on fat if your carbs are really low but I don’t think this is advisable either.

I don’t eat like Mark, he eats far more veggies than I do, for him BAS is “big as salad” for me it’s “big ass steak” so I’m more carnivore + starch than a veggie lover + a side of meat. My gf eats more like Mark I guess. I don’t care for cold vegetables, unless prepared by someone else.

That being said, I don’t eat that much fat, only what’s in the meat or what’s required for cooking. I sometimes add a little butter, but don’t OD on it.

brahnamin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by moo View Post

Well, Mark is in maintenance mode (as far as weight loss/gain) and essentially has been since long before he ever dreamed up the PB and he's very active. He's likely going to thrive on a higher carbohydrate diet than I am @ 300 lbs of jiggly mass.

He is also married to a part time vegetarian (I forget the uberkewl scientifical name for vegetarians who also occasionally eat fish) and his daughter (if I am recalling correctly) is either a full time vegetarian or vegan.

Myself, I often have to get creative to end up with a protein & fat heavy meal while cooking for my own two vegetarians.

Anyway, my primalary point is that the high-fat thing is more of a high-fat-loss thing near as I've been able to discern reading here and Mark hardly falls into that category. And even for myself (I still have over 100 lbs to lose), while I found that a super-high fat diet was an awesome way to break into primal without suffering carb flu and other setbacks, I've since moved more toward a higher protein/not so high fat (but still VLC) approach.

Given what I've read here and abroad I will have to switch things up again in about 80 lbs to something that focuses more on strategic carb use and (20-40 lbs after that) finally to something closer to what Mark is doing right now (though being a beast lover, I'll probably always trump him in my consumption of the good proteins).

I think it really just depends on where you are at and what you want to achieve. I think it is a mistake to jump at a one-size-fits-all approach, and for all the PB claims to not do that, it still tends to be a trend, IMO.
    Last edited by brahnamin; 03-15-2011 at 02:14 PM.

Page 41 of 71 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast