Page 40 of 71 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast

Thread: Reality check: Counting calories page 40

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Greensprout View Post
    Paleobird;
    As much as I hate to admit it, I believe you're onto something here. It's time to retool my PB eating strategies. I've looked back at my own PB journal (nearly a year already), and think quantity is an issue. I'm encouraged to hear you're finding success with your new methods.
    Hah! Thank you. Yes, too much of a good thing is still too much.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by nachobrawler View Post
    Awesome news. 6 lbs down already! Your cutting into it! Congratulations. Thats probably pretty motivating, right? I know I would be...
    Oh yeah. My birthday is in about 2 1/2 hours and I'm feeling a whole lot better about turning 49 with things headed in the right direction.

Paleobird Guest
    Because it can't be quoted too many times : The Blog of Michael R. Eades, M.D. Low-carb and calories

This article explains why initial weight loss happens but then fizzles on low carb diets. It made everything make sense for the first time for me. Please read it.

This article explains the WHY of calorie restriction. So, I guess if I had to distill all the things we have shared and learned in this thread down to “a plan” for HOW to do calorie restriction, this would be it.

1)Make sure caloric restriction is right for you (see my above post #385)

2)Figure out your BMR This is the amount of calories you need to just maintain. Google “BMR calculator”. There are a bunch of them out there. A good one will have an activity multiplier so that you can factor in how active you are into your caloric needs. (You have to be honest, however, can’t say, “moderately active”, just because you mean to get that way someday.)

3)Once you have your BMR, figure out how fast you want to lose weight. A good rule of thumb is a 500 calorie /day deficit means about 1 lb of fat /week shed. This is sustainable. So BMR minus your deficit number gives you your target calories for each day.

Example of steps 1-3 for me:
    All the BMR calculators averaged out to just a bit over 2000/day-500 so I am shooting for a maximum of 1500 calories a day.

4)Figure out your ideal weight. This is your “hot stuff in swim wear (HSIS)” weight. It doesn’t have to be what you are really aiming for right now but it is a way to determine your protein needs. You can determine this by a BMI calculator. There are lots of those as well. Your HSIS weight in pounds is the number of grams of protein you need. 1 gram of protein=4 calories.

Example for me: I looked really hot at on the beach at 18 and then I weighed 150 pounds. 150 is also the average of what all the fancy BMI calculators tell me I should be. So I need to shoot for 150 grams of protein a day. That is about 600 calories.

5)Target calories-protein needs gives you what you have left to “play with” between carbs and fats. Getting your protein is like paying your rent/mortgage. It has to come first. If you eat less carbs you get to have more fat. But whatever you do, don’t skimp on the protein.

I think this is where a lot of people on PB are messing up. They get caught up in all the yummy fats and then are satiated long before they get enough protein in them.

Example of me : 1500/day target total-600 protein=900 between carb and fat.

1 gram fat=9 calories 1 gram carb=4 calories 1 gram protein=4 calories

So, my daily budget works out to about 600 cal protein, 200 cal carb, and 700 of fat a ratio of 40%/15%/45%. (I like to stay VLC <50 grams of carb/day. This may or may not be for you.)

6) The “trick” is getting the amount of protein you need without going “over-budget” on calories.

This means three things:

a)”Leaner,meaner” choices in protein sources. Think eggs, bison, venison, rabbit, lean game birds.
    b)Leaner cuts of meat. Think flank steak instead of brisket. Beef heart jerky is great. Put bacon on hold for a while. (I know it’s hard. )
    c)Not adding gratuitous fat onto food like gobs of mayo, cooking oil, and butter. Just appreciate the food itself.

Nobody is advocating going all fat phobic Pritikin style here. There is still plenty of fat in the protein sources. As you see, mine is 45% of my daily intake.

7)Track your daily numbers on any one of the many programs out there. I have found Sparkpeople to be the most user friendly. It allows you to enter a whole recipe (e.g. a stew) and then gives you the numbers by portion.

There can be some light bulb moments like making egg salad with 3 eggs and 3 spoons of mayo and then finding out the mayo has way more calories than the eggs. I could have had 6 eggs. Also, who knew that carrots had so many carbs in them? These are things you find out by tracking so you can make some smarter choices as to what you eat.

I have been averaging about 1300-1400 calories a day and I don’t feel in the least bit hungry. My workouts have been better than ever and I credit it to the increased protein.

And I’ve dropped 6 lbs.

Grok on, all.

Robin
    Last edited by Paleobird; 04-04-2011 at 08:22 PM.

Bodhi is offline Senior Member
    Happy Birthday Paleobird. I like what you have come up with on your plan. Grok on!
    ...how do you look, feel, and perform? -- Robb Wolf

My Blog.

Kelda is offline Senior Member
    Ditto from Kelda on a wind-swept unseasonably cold and wet Fuerteventura, mind you we left heavy snow at Glasgow so I can't really complain!

I'm going to follow that plan on my return, tracking will keep me straight I'm sure!
    Last edited by Kelda; 03-14-2011 at 12:31 PM.
    Seeking the natural way in a modern world ...

NourishedEm is offline Senior Member
    I used to live about an hour north of Glasgow! I loved it, but I sure don't miss the winters.

Kelda is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NourishedEm View Post
    I used to live about an hour north of Glasgow! I loved it, but I sure don't miss the winters.
    We live 3.5 hours north of Glasgow, were you Perth/Stirling way then?! We had to sit in the aircraft for 45 minutes whilst they deiced it twice before taking off; it's been one heck of a winter in Scotland. I thought escaping south would make a difference but it seems the unseasonal weather has simply followed us! Not much vit D manufacture as yet but I did just manage a LHT session and sprints using a rowing machine (not used one in about 5 years so tomorrow should be interesting!) now off to eat as much protein as I can select from the buffet whilst walking away from the desserts!
    Seeking the natural way in a modern world ...

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi View Post
    Happy Birthday Paleobird. I like what you have come up with on your plan. Grok on!
    It was your formula that got me thinking about protein needs being the key.
    Thanks for that formula and the birthday wishes.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelda View Post
    Ditto from Kelda on a wind-swept unseasonably cold and wet Fuerteventura, mind you we left heavy snow at Glasgow so I can't really complain!

I'm going to follow that plan on my return, tracking will keep me straight I'm sure!
    Fuerteventura. My that sounds exotic. Where is that?

NourishedEm is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelda View Post
    We live 3.5 hours north of Glasgow, were you Perth/Stirling way then?!
    We lived in a little village called Rhu, on the Gareloch. Just up a little from Helensburgh. My Dad was Navy and posted at Faslane. We were there for about 2 years before moving to Australia.

Page 40 of 71 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast