Page 4 of 71 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: Reality check: Counting calories page 4

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    cool. i had no idea either way, and i didn't think you were stressing out. just throwing some ideas on the wall. i also don't closely monitor who is and who isn't VLC and what not in the journals, so i can't say.

like i said, calorie restriction is a fine option, and there's no reason not to start there if it seems like the logical place to start. also, checking up on the medication can help. you never know.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Def. agree to try calorie restriction if you want to. If it doesn't work for you, you could try vlc (under 20 net grams) for a couple of weeks--can't hurt!

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by marcadav View Post
    By changing our focus. IMO, this is a lifestyle. A lifestyle that if lived daily, over time, improves and maintains health. If you are healthy, by medical markers, and by making healthy choices-- daily-- then the number on the scale is simply that-- a number on a machine we stand on.

Have you had medical tests -- Lipid, Vitamin D, fasting BGL, HbA1c, fasting insulin, thyroid (TSH, Free T4, Free T3), ferritin-- done to see where you are?? If not, I suggest having them done.

There is a possibility that your fasting regimen has impacted thyroid function-- specifically T4 To T3 conversion. My understanding is that IF is just that---intermittent fasting. Your fasting seems so controlled and routine, it seems out of control.
    I have had every test known to modern medicine including thyroid and am, by all accounts, ridiculously healthy. 175 for my height is the "official" borderline between "healthy" and "overweight" but I am not hung up on that. I am only using weight numbers to communicate with others. I know I am overweight because I see it in the mirror. Unless one is doing Batty intensity lifting however, "losing weight" is a measure of losing fat.

lizch is offline Senior Member
    On the days when you IF for 24 hours, what do you eat for dinner?

I am having trouble envisaging a pile of food that meats basic primal guidelines (lots of green veg, some starchy veg, enough protein for your lean body mass, plus the fat) that would be sufficient calories to cause weight maintenance in someone with a reasonable amount of weight to lose. I don't believe I could eat that much in one sitting.

Which brings me to a thought about using IF....maybe by eating a full day's food in one sitting on a regular basis, you are not adjusting your expectations (particularly in your stomach and your brain) for what represents a normal, reasonable portion of food? So that then on the days when you are eating more meals, they are all too big?
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

marcadav is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Thyroid is fine and San Diego sunshine gives me all the vit D I need.
    What does your "fine thyroid" look like? I ask because I was told mine was fine for years. During those years, I was lucky if I maintained my weight. Overall, I gained 65 lbs because my thyroid, on meds, was "fine".

I finally convinced a new doctor to up my meds by 12 mcg. Things changed after that.

BTW, San Diego sunshine does not guarantee adequate vit D levels. I lived there, walked Lindo Lake 1+hr/day, maintained a large yard,etc., and was severely deficient--prescribed 50,000 IU/week.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by marcadav View Post
    What does your "fine thyroid" look like? I ask because I was told mine was fine for years. During those years, I was lucky if I maintained my weight. Overall, I gained 65 lbs because my thyroid, on meds, was "fine".

I finally convinced a new doctor to up my meds by 12 mcg. Things changed after that.

BTW, San Diego sunshine does not guarantee adequate vit D levels. I lived there, walked Lindo Lake 1+hr/day, maintained a large yard,etc., and was severely deficient--prescribed 50,000 IU/week.
    I have no idea what all my test numbers are. Having seen that they were fine I didn't feel the need to keep them around my head. I am quite the sun worshiper spending a lot of time at the beach, walking, surfing, swimming. Plus, in case it wasn't mentioned earlier, I feel great! I really don't think any of the go-to deficiency diagnoses apply to me.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lizch View Post
    On the days when you IF for 24 hours, what do you eat for dinner?

I am having trouble envisaging a pile of food that meats basic primal guidelines (lots of green veg, some starchy veg, enough protein for your lean body mass, plus the fat) that would be sufficient calories to cause weight maintenance in someone with a reasonable amount of weight to lose. I don't believe I could eat that much in one sitting.

Which brings me to a thought about using IF....maybe by eating a full day's food in one sitting on a regular basis, you are not adjusting your expectations (particularly in your stomach and your brain) for what represents a normal, reasonable portion of food? So that then on the days when you are eating more meals, they are all too big?
    This is a very good point Liz. Because of this "eat when hungry, don't when not" freeform eating, I haven't been paying much attention to this.

winencandy is offline Senior Member
    Then there is me. None of the above. Just a lady coming up on 50 who would like to lose some weight. No major health problems and not a huge amount to lose, (30lbs) but no desire to revisit the uber athletic days of my youth. I have always been health conscious and physically fit. I don’t think that some brown rice and tofu did me any irreparable harm. Not optimal, I understand that now, but not really that awful. I never did eat junk or over eat sugar or carbs. I have never had an eating disorder, I don’t have cravings or binges. I am very compliant with PB eating rules. I sleep well, get plenty of all natural vitamin D and include lots of play in my life. I eat tons of veggies, no processed junk (I mean Zero) lots of PB approved proteins and fats. Dairy free, legume free, minimal nuts and berries. I am almost always good about following the PBF workout routine. And I IF for 24 hours about 3-4 times a week. I’m doing everything “right”, right?.
    Paleobird, Except for the "IF for 24 hours about 3-4 times a week" this is ME. I do a daily IF (eating my "breakfast" at noon) I've been here since September. I have lost 2 lbs. I need to loose 30. I've gradually restricted items until last month, when I did a 30 DONN. End result? I lost a few inches, but no weight.

About Batty’s thread which I so adore, Yes, body composition has shifted around allowing me into a smaller size jeans. But I am not buying the “muscle is more compact than fat so you should ditch your scale” argument. At the levels I’m working out, I am not packing on pounds of muscle. Batty is a different story. They don’t call her workout room “Batty’s Basement of Doom” for nothing. My PBF push ups, pull ups, planks, etc. are toning things up a bit so the size 10s fit and I’m loving that. But the reason I’m not seeing falling numbers on the scale is not because of muscle mass gain although it would be reassuring to believe that and keep eating my bacon.
    Again, this is ME

Then there is the question of if I really need to lose 30 lbs or if some chart just says I do. I don’t care about charts. I know what I look like naked and it’s not what I want to see. Also, even though I am healthy now, I would like to prevent the health problems that can be a result of excess weight down the line. (Also I am not one of those size 2 people needing help getting to size 0. I am 5'10" and 180 but I would like to be 150)
    Again. ME. There is no way anyone can tell me that 148 lbs is a healthy weight for a 5' 1/2" 46 year old woman.

I have read Taubes and understand that there are good calories and bad calories. But there are still calories and too many of them, even the “good” kind and weight loss is not going to happen. I realize that the “calories in-calories out” thermodynamic explanation for weight loss/gain is over simplified but still calories DO count. So I am going to count calories. They will all be PB approved high quality calories, but I will restrict the quantity and see how it goes.
    I have not read Taubes yet. I've never been good at counting calories and I don't want to "go there".

I think it does work as a maintenance mode once you are at optimal weight so I can look forward to coming back to it eventually.
    I'm maintaining very well. I never gained over Christmas or during my Jamaican vacation, BUT I never lost during my 30 DONN.

I do sprints weekly. I eat a square of dark chocolate and a glass of red wine maybe once a week. I don't think cutting these out will do something magical but all over calorie restriction might.
    I used to do this too (but I had a few more glasses of wine). I cut them out last month. There was no magic.

I was considering doing a Whole 30 style experiment. I read through the supposedly stringent requirements and said, "hey, with the rare exception of m-nuts, 88% and a glass of Pinot, I already eat this way all the time. They kept saying how doing this would "change my life". That is what I meant about "the Switchers" above. If you are coming from that extreme, a whole 30 really would change your life.
    That's how I was eating. My 30 DONN didn't "change my life". It just proved that I could say "No" to certain foods for a set amount of time.

I have had every test known to modern medicine including thyroid and am, by all accounts, ridiculously healthy.
    Same.

If you discover the "answer" I'd LOVE to know what it is...
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

marcadav is online now Senior Member
    I have no idea what all my test numbers are .
    I think it's very important to get copies of all test results. It allows you (general) to track trends over time. It also gives a medical record, in case you move, change doctors, etc

And, I will say it again-- Fine, does not mean optimal. It generally means the results can be found within the "normal range" given by the lab.

Case in point-- my lab's normal range is 11-152. If my result is 15 I can be seen as fine by " the normal range. However that doesn't mean I'm optimal or without symptoms of low ferritin. In fact, many believe ferritin needs to be over 50 and closer to 100 for optimal health.

Sorry Paleobird, my years of being "in the normal range" fine, yet suffering, makes me get on my soapbox about test results. I'm stepping down now.

I hope you find your solution.

profdjj is offline Senior Member
    I've become a major fan of Dr. Michael Eades. Here's a post on low carb/calories: http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/w...nd-calories-2/ He says you can eat low carb and as many calories as you want and not gain weight, but to lose weight, most people have to calorie restrict at least a little (there are some lucky folks who don't).

Here's another post of his regarding IF: http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/i...ttent-fasting/

I've also become a fan of Fast-5: http://www.fast-5.com/ I suggest you download his e-book (it's free if you register) where he talks about losing weight via IF. His is a 5 hour eat window / 19 hour fast.

I'm not a big fan of leangains - he's a little too hard core body builder for me. But I am enjoying this man's paleo/IF blog: www.theleansaloon.com Very good writer.

I know for me that I HAVE to calorie restrict to lose weight. I've also found that IFing (I have a 6 hour eat window - breakfast/lunch, skip dinner) and slight calorie restriction works like a charm for me.

Page 4 of 71 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast