Page 39 of 71 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast

Thread: Reality check: Counting calories page 39

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    i think that once one is completely in tune with the body and something is working, then letting go of counting, tracking, etc, is no problem. if, down the track, something seems to not be working, then going back and tracking and figuring it out is a good plan.

but eventually, we'll find some form of easy homeostasis. i think that's the plan, right? well, for some of us anyway.

NourishedEm is offline Senior Member
    I was listening to Art Devany on Sean Croxton's podcast the other day and he said something similar about protein. Talking about required protein intakes doesn't account for autophagy and the recycling of damaged proteins that happens when this is initiated by fasting (either from food completely or by doing specific protein fasts). Our bodies do not make new proteins just from our intake or our muscles, if our intake is insufficient, and apparently it is very beneficial to allow autophagy to occur to clear out these dead and damaged proteins.

It's all very interesting stuff I think.

Paleobird Guest
    Yes, but if, as Peril pointed out, you are trying to stay very low carb then you need extra protein or the body with try to make carbs from muscle tissue. I think it's a good tradeoff, staying VLC but adding extra protein.

This is non scientific and totally anecdotal but is anybody here old enough to remember James Brown?

"AAAHHHH! I feel GOOD!"

That's how I am feeling even while working out and eating around 1300 calories a day.

peril is offline Senior Member
    I have no idea how much autophagy might contribute to your protein budget if you are constantly in ketosis
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Paleobird Guest
    OK I feel a certain sense of responsibility having started this monster thread to make some things clear. I know how overwhelming the info torrent is here in the forum from the POV of a newcomer. It can be hard to know which direction is up and what advice is for you or not.

First of all. I am saying that I have found a way that works FOR ME. Maybe not for you.

There are some people who definitely should NOT be concentrating on restricting caloric intake.

1)People who have or have had any kind of eating disorder or OCD tendencies. You need to have a healthy relationship with food and yourself.
    2)People who don't yet have all the other principles of the PB plan completely "dialed in" to their life. Work the fundamentals first. Primalize your pantry, get a good PBF exercise program going, and really live by the ten basic rules Mark lays out, food, sleep, sun, and all that.
    3)People who have some other health condition that may be keeping them from losing weight e.g. thyroid issues, adrenal fatigue, etc. Get those things taken care of and healed up first.
    4)People who have any nutritional deficiencies. These can be caused as a side effect of meds, other medical conditions, or from poor eating but they need to get sorted out first.
    5)People suffering from metabolic disorders, syndrome X, diabetes, etc. Let your body heal first.

So those people for whom this really can work:

1)You are really living by all 10 of the PB laws. No cheating, binging, or cravings you can't walk away from.
    2)You are in pretty good health already.
    3)You really do have some weight to lose (I saw my sister almost die from anorexia/bulemia back in the 80s. I know the difference.)
    4)You are eating what Taubes would call good calories just too much of a good thing. You have the sugar/carbs cleaned out of your system.
    5)You can handle tracking and being more aware of your calorie intake without it taking over your life or killing the joy of eating.
    Last edited by Paleobird; 04-04-2011 at 08:18 PM.

nachobrawler is offline Senior Member
    Good Luck Paleo...Im glad you found "the way". I hope it get you where you want to be with regard to fat loss and/or weight. Post your progress and let us know how you are doing.
    If you can just get your....mind together....then come on across to me.....
    James Marshall (Jimi)Hendrix

Paleobird Guest
    I'm averaging 1300 cal/day getting 150gr of protein
    My workouts feel awesome.
    And I weigh 174, six pounds down, twenty four to go.

(I have this rule with myself that weight loss/gain is not "real" unless it is maintained for several days. This keeps little fluctuations due to hydration etc. from being a big deal. Well, the 174 is real.)

Enamel is offline Senior Member
    That's excellent! Is great to see that you're seeing results so soon, and real ones, too. Glad you've found what works for you, and that's a nice list you made of who could benefit from this.
    I can definitely understand where people are coming from when they warn against counting calories - I assume they don't want people to be sucked into possible obsessions, which is a valid concern, but I think it obviously can be a useful tool for people that don't have problems like that. I think that no matter which approach you take, you should never be obsessive about it or let it drain enjoyment from your life - there're a host of other things having to do with food/nutrition that you can be obsessed about without even thinking about calories, after all.

Greensprout is offline Senior Member
    Paleobird;
    As much as I hate to admit it, I believe you're onto something here. It's time to retool my PB eating strategies. I've looked back at my own PB journal (nearly a year already), and think quantity is an issue. I'm encouraged to hear you're finding success with your new methods.

nachobrawler is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I'm averaging 1300 cal/day getting 150gr of protein
    My workouts feel awesome.
    And I weigh 174, six pounds down, twenty four to go.

(I have this rule with myself that weight loss/gain is not "real" unless it is maintained for several days. This keeps little fluctuations due to hydration etc. from being a big deal. Well, the 174 is real.)
    Awesome news. 6 lbs down already! Your cutting into it! Congratulations. Thats probably pretty motivating, right? I know I would be...
    If you can just get your....mind together....then come on across to me.....
    James Marshall (Jimi)Hendrix

Page 39 of 71 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast