Page 38 of 71 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast

Thread: Reality check: Counting calories page 38

winencandy is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by superdeluxe View Post
    I am not even going in to a drug store until after May to avoid the call of the cadbury mini eggs (normal cadbury eggs are gross). I love that dry, sort of sandy texture of the coating. So much better than m and ms. If they ever start stocking them year round, I'll never be able to go into a drug store. There are few things that I am powerless against, but that's one of them. Damn. I wish I hadn't read this thread.

Where is my l-glutamate to ward off cravings?
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

carres1973 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by winencandy View Post
    They have Dark Chocolate ones!!
    But I didn't buy them, 'cause I wasn't planning on eating any.
    But them the bag was open in front of me...

For Easter I'm gonna buy a bag of Dark Chocolate ones to nibble on when everyone else is eating the Milk Chocolate ones
    I haven't seen the dark chocolate ones! I wonder if it is an international thing. Hubby, who is English, remembers them from his homeland :-).

Carrie

carres1973 is offline Senior Member
    I just have to reiterate that this thread has been so helpful! I have been counting for two weeks now and it has been eye-opening! I had counted calories in the past, and had actually lost weight doing that before. However, most of the time in the past when I restricted calories on a CW diet, I was ALWAYS hungry, even when at my limit of calories for the day.

Now, while counting calories on Primal, I usually don't meet the calorie "goal" set for me on Sparkpeople but I am NOT hungry! HOORAY for protein and fat! I think the most important thing I have concentrated on with Primal Blueprint is to only eat when hungry, and to eat until I am satisfied (but not stuffed). They preached that when I belonged to Weight Watchers. However, subsisting on the points allowed meant being hungry all the time. If I would actually eat real food until satisfied, I would be over my points by lunch! HOORAY for PB and being able to count calories and STILL be satisfied!

Carrie

peril is offline Senior Member
    Getting back on topic

I think its worthwhile for all who are struggling to lose fat to read this. Basic message is that if you are VLC, you have to make sure you get protein above and beyond what you would think based on lean body mass and activity because some of the protein is needed to be converted to carbohydrate. If you don't supply the required protein, you will consume your own muscles and put on fat. Your choice is to be either VLC and high protein or to be low-moderate carb and moderate protein if you want to shed weight without losing lean mass. Counting will help you assess what you are doing wrong now
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    Getting back on topic

I think its worthwhile for all who are struggling to lose fat to read this. Basic message is that if you are VLC, you have to make sure you get protein above and beyond what you would think based on lean body mass and activity because some of the protein is needed to be converted to carbohydrate. If you don't supply the required protein, you will consume your own muscles and put on fat. Your choice is to be either VLC and high protein or to be low-moderate carb and moderate protein if you want to shed weight without losing lean mass. Counting will help you assess what you are doing wrong now
    I'm starting to rethink the need for extra protein, even for eating vlc (as I do most of the time.) Read this excerpt from LeanSaloon:
    Johnny says:
    August 19, 2010 at 6:17 pm

The US and Canadian DRI recommends that the minimum protein intake for a man is 56 grams to prevent deficiency. Around last March I just decided to go with that, knowing that I would get more than that in my diet heavily in vegetable and meats — often upward of 80 to over 100 (even though some days far less and others much higher).

My average protein intake is still much lower than the typical bodybuilding recommendation (1gram or more of protein per pound of body weight), but definitely a little higher than the DRI’s minimum. So far, no apparent deficiency.

Best,
    Johnny

Paleobird Guest
    Yeah, talk about the biggest thread highjack in history! The calorie restriction thread becomes a discussion of varieties of chocolate! Harummphhh!

But seriously folks, Peril is right. We do have to be mindful that we are taking in enough protein, especially if we want to make any measurable gains in exercise fitness.
    As Carres said, I am finding it easy to stay under the calorie quota on PB foods too without feeling deprived. And my workouts feel great.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    The US and Canadian DRI recommends that the minimum protein intake for a man is 56 grams to prevent deficiency.
    So far, no apparent deficiency.
    Preventing deficiency and thriving are two different things.

NutMeg is offline Senior Member
    I totally agree that jerky is a tasty and EASY way to get in the protein. I keep it in my drawer at work to snack on. Heck, I wonder if NOT having any the past few weeks has lead to me not losing. Will be making some tomorrow!

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Preventing deficiency and thriving are two different things.
    Certainly, but Johnny's point was that he is maintaining the physique you see at the top of his blog with far less than the recommended amount for bodybuilders. No doubt some of us could use more protein, but the stance that you need a huge amount to grow muscle may be a relic of CW.

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    Dragonfly, I agree with Johnny from the Lean Saloon on this. I stopped tracking protein since November, and I am still able to maintain and gain strength and muscle. Some days I get 50 grams of protein, others maybe 130 or more. It varies, but I don't try to get in any certain amount. I believe my body will produce the muscle it needs based on the exertion I put forth rather than so much by what I consume. In my opinion, the protein requirements will soon be one of those old myths much like needing to eat every three hours in order to prevent muscle wasting. At least this has been my experience. Maybe others are different.

Page 38 of 71 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast