Page 31 of 71 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast

Thread: Reality check: Counting calories page 31

pattyd is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi View Post
    Yes.
    ok. so to figure out how much protein I need I go by Lean Body Mass and not my current weight. Or should I go off of what I want my LBM to be at my desired weight?
    "Anxiety is a sign of spiritual insecurity"
    www.beachbodycoach.com/fatbusters

Bodhi is offline Senior Member
    Or should I go off of what I want my LBM to be at my desired weight?
    That would be my recommendation. This would of course lead to more math. I'm 5' 10.5" tall, I have a medium build, so the chart says I should be about 165lbs. I currently weigh 170lbs. But anyways, let's say I wanted to weigh 165lbs with only 5% body fat, that would leave me with 156.75 lbs LBM. (I'm not subtracting for bones). So I could probably get by with 156 grams of protein a day. But I like to have a little more protein on hand in case my body decides to make a few carbs out of my protein.
    ...how do you look, feel, and perform? -- Robb Wolf

My Blog.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    here are the formulas i used to figure out where i may need to be and where i am. math is fun. am i right about this math?

body weight x (100% - Body Fat%) = lean mass. for me, it was 128 x .82 (82% lean mass) = 104.96. i rounded up to 105, and then it's 105g of protein. protien is 4 cals per gram, which means i need 420 cals per day.

now, my calories have been around 1600 per day with roughly 60% being from fat; 20-25% from protein, and 15-20% from carbohydrate.

20% of 1600 is 320 calories, and thus is 80 g carbs per day on a high day; 15% of 1600 is 240 cals, and thus 60g carbs on a low day.

25% of 1600 is 400 calories, and thus 100g of protien per day on a high day; 80g of protien on a low day. This puts me within the .5-1 g/lean mass range, but i could increase it a bit more.

60% of 1600 is 960 calories, and thus 107g of fat per day on my average day.

to reverse engineer what my percentage of calories of protien, i need to *up* to 30-35% of my daily intake in order to reach these amounts, which means either cutting fat or cutting carb. I could easily cut fat down to 50-55%.

of course, i do not think that the calorie counter that i'm using is accurate. in fact, i'm certain that it is inaccurate, but it can be helpful. for example, the bacon we eat is shoulder bacon, which is leaner than regular bacon (has more meat, less fat). we get rather lean cuts of meat, and i'll use about 1/2 tbsp of bacon fat in order to keep it from sticking to the pan when searing (due to the fact that it's an iron skillet), and so that doesn't add a lot of fat. but, i know that the calorie counter doesn't know the exact fat/protien/whatever content.

also, because i'm pretty happy with these amounts -- and being between 50-60% fat, between 20-30% protien, and around 20% carbohydrate, i think it's good. I mean, to be 20 calories shy on protien or 5g isn't that big of a deal to me, really. until it needs to be.

but it's been a fun exercise.
    Last edited by zoebird; 03-08-2011 at 01:27 PM.

Bodhi is offline Senior Member
    ...am i right about this math?
    It looks good to me.
    ...how do you look, feel, and perform? -- Robb Wolf

My Blog.

i'm thinking 5 more g of protien per day would be pretty easy, so i'll just put that in and it might increase my calories a bit, but i can adjust. i mean, i do float between 1600 and 1800 depending upon the day (probably hormonal).

Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    here are the formulas i used to figure out where i may need to be and where i am. math is fun.
    I am HORRIBLE at math so I`m running this by you guys and please tell me if I`ve screwed it all up lol
    CURRENT WEIGHT AND BMI AND LBM: I'm 5'7" and I weigh 144. My BMI is 22% and my LBM is 105. My GOAL weight is 130 which would put me at 20% BMI with a 100 LBM (roughly). My percentages are as follows for my goal weight:
    BMR=1189
    PROTEIN NEEDS=70g-280 cals (that`s multiplying by .7)
    CARBS-80 GRAMS=320
    FAT-65 GRAMS=589 CALS

Kelda is offline Senior Member
    No! The Maths is wrong!

105 g of protein required that will be 4 calories a gram so 420 calories :-) well in Scotland it is anyway.
    Seeking the natural way in a modern world ...

JenCat is offline Senior Member
    Still, I come up with approximately 101g of protein. I think I'm at just under 50g so far (it's 4:00pm) and that's with a protein shake. I haven't been eating anywhere near enough. I certainly thought I was following the PB, but I really wasn't paying attention to the amount of protein that Mark clearly states is necessary (even if you go with .8g per pound). I was struggling to figure out why it wasn't working. Maybe because I wasn't really doing it?

thanks, i changed it. i realized i hadn't cleared my calculator before starting my math. LOL but, it didn't make sense because i'm already getting 100g of protein in my diet, and i knew there was only a 5g difference, so i would need 20 more calories, not 125! but, for some reason, i didn't go back and change it once i realized it. LOL

but, it's good to know that i'm very close to the ballpark, and overall i think my diet "as is" is working for me.

looks like i'm getting more than .8g and less than 1g per lean mass. so right in the range.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelda View Post
    No! The Maths is wrong!

105 g of protein required that will be 4 calories a gram so 420 calories :-) well in Scotland it is anyway.
    How did you come up with 105 g`s? 100 which is my LBM at my goal weight of 130 lbs times .7 is 70. Told you I suck at Math lol

Page 31 of 71 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast